Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another US High school killing

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Another US High school killing

Eight dead in US high school shooting
    11:48 AEDT Tue Mar 22 2005

AP - Eight people have been killed in a US high school shooting, with the suspect believed to be among the dead, the FBI have said.

Local police deputy chief Tom Lyons said up to 14 other people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota.

The school is located on a Native Indian reservation and has more than 300 students, according to its website.

Local media reported that the shooter killed his grandfather before going to the school with three guns. He then reportedly shot a security guard outside the school before entering the school and opening fire on students.

The shooter then killed himself, press reports said.

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minnesota chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks.

"They have got it closed off," she said.

The reservation is about 390 kilometres north of Minneapolis/St Paul. It is home to the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians.

©AAP 2005

dont have any idea what could drive anyone to do this sort of thing
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Jeez, why does this stuff happen so often?

International Debutant cricket player's Avatar
    Jeez I forgot to say that usa is a free country,You have freedom you can do anything you want,just go to a school and kill young teenage students,sorry to say that but **** the way children are raised in usa.
    Bob is very insane stay away from him

FAVOURITE UNDER 19 CRICKETER JP McNamara AKA ORTHODOX

International Coach
    Erm, no, you aren't free to kill people.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

makes me glad to be english
    Robert Key has a lot on his plate (Sky Sports News,sun 24 apr)

They really need to look at their gun laws. It annoys me when I see people on TV say they should be free to have a gun without needing a licence. It really wouldn't take that much of their time and effort to get a licence, and it should make horrible occurrences like these much less frequent because firearms aren't so freely available.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 12th Man
    makes me glad to be english
    doesnt mean there are less tormented teenagers, though
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    They really need to look at their gun laws. It annoys me when I see people on TV say they should be free to have a gun without needing a licence. It really wouldn't take that much of their time and effort to get a licence, and it should make horrible occurrences like these much less frequent because firearms aren't so freely available.
    and its not as if you see drivers complaining about their licences, and how theyre against the constitution.

edit: for an article on it, go to http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/15y...254018247.html
    Last edited by andyc; 22-03-2005 at 04:49 AM.

Yeah exactly.

Pinball Champion!
    You reap what you sow my American friends....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Here's what the late, great Bill Hicks had to say on the topic of the respective gun laws of England & the US back in 1991:

No one has handguns in England, not even the cops. True or false? True. Now-in England last year, they had fourteen deaths from handguns. FFFFFourteen. Now-the United States, and I think you know how we feel about handguns-woooo, I'm getting a warm tingly feeling just saying the f*cking word, to be honest with you. I swear to you, I am hard. Twenty-three thousand deaths from handguns. Now let's go through those numbers again, because they're a little baffling at first glance. England, where no one has guns, fffffffourteen deaths. United States, and I think you know how we feel about guns-woooo, I'm getting a stiffy-twenty-three thousand deaths from handguns. But there's no connection, and you'd be a fool and a Communist to make one. There's no connection between having a gun and shooting someone with it, and not having a gun and not shooting someone. There have been studies made and there is no connection at all there. Yes. That's absolute proof. You know, fourteen deaths from handguns. Probably American tourists, too.
    (Angry tourist voice) You call this a sandwich? BANG! BANG! You don't boil pizza! BANG! BANG!
    (Scared English voice) That's the way we eat here, that's the way we eat here! BANG!
    (Tourist voice) This food sucks! BANG!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

I'm sure there's a happy medium between the oppressive gun laws in Britain and the seemingly nonexistent gun laws in America. Every time some muppet blinds someone with an air rifle there's the usual outcry to ban all air rifles completely. May as well ban anything not packed with 2 inches of bubblewrap around it because some moron will inevitably injure someone else with it.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    agreed.

its definatley not in the right to carry guns for mine, its the mentality, we cant protect people from
    everything.

recently we had a huge problem in Australia with public liability insurance. people suing local councils for millions because the dove into a sandbar at the beach drunk. same sort of thing in essence, without the violence.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    I'm sure there's a happy medium between the oppressive gun laws in Britain and the seemingly nonexistent gun laws in America. Every time some muppet blinds someone with an air rifle there's the usual outcry to ban all air rifles completely. May as well ban anything not packed with 2 inches of bubblewrap around it because some moron will inevitably injure someone else with it.
    I think there's a slight difference though with a handgun. If you point it at someone and pull the trigger you can be fairly certain that you're going to do them some serious injury (unless you're a terrible shot of course).

What annoys me is that you talk to someone from the U.S and you hear about their 'right to bare arms' etc etc etc, but I don't think the constitution allowed for people's inability to store them properly and keep them out of the reach of kids etc. I think the constituiton referred to 'the right to bare arms when threatened' anyway, not indiscriminantly. I talked to an american guy here in Australia who had 9 guns in his house, which is ridiculous. If you're going to presume that most people are intelligent enough to own a gun responsibly in the first place then you're paving the way for this sort of thing to happen.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    This is really bad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information