Chauvinism is alive and well in sport forums throughout the www. For the past few weeks I have visited various sites with sport forums. Cricket, rugby, football, formula 1 and other motorracing, etc. I have visited as a guest and even joined a few. I have posted comments about matches and players and umpires or referees, whichever the case may be. Even the grounds played on, weather conditions and this player versus that one.
Now here I will make a confession. I have posted the same comments (well, more or less, so as not to give the game away) first as a female, then as a male. Invariably the comment made in my female persona has attracted very little or no reaction whatsoever. Whereas, the nearly same thing said, in my male persona, has led to lively and interesting discussions. Females are not made to feel welcome in the sport forums or taken seriously. They are made welcome in the "off topic" forums. (Most sport forums have a similar forum.) Where I have found that men are more forthcoming in a flirty, semi condescending way. I don't know if other woman have found this to be so but I do know most sport forums have very few female members and those they have seem to stick to the "off topic" forum. Yet, when you go to a sport event, a major portion of the spectators are female, be it cricket, rugby or motorracing.
Men, I have news for you. Woman love sport, Woman love talking about sport, Woman take part in sport. They drive racing cars, play cricket and rugby, etc. They know the rules, can differentiate between bad balls and good, bad calls and good, silly mistakes and technical flaws. They can add, subtract and devide, work out the D/L method, and they even collect autographs!
I realise I have probably broken some forum rules here, and antagonised 99% of the members.(The other 1% being a few females who agree with me. Not all! I do know some females only come here because there are plenty of men to flirt with.) But I do believe that if woman were taken more seriously in sport forums in will add to the discussions, and I (and I believe other woman too) really would like to have somewhere to go to discuss the sport of my preference with other PEOPLE.