Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The (School) Uniform Debate

The (School) Uniform Debate

Just wondered if anyone on this planet had a decent excuse as to why 5-16 year olds should be forced into wearing uniforms at school. It's bad enough that children have to suffer the prison-like environment that are modern day schools, such as the big metal fencing, rigid schedule, rubbish food, the not-too-bright staff and so on without the generally god-awful colours the schools insist you wear. The cost excuse doesn't wash because uniforms are usually expensive so the said prison/school can make a few quid and you still at the end of the day have 6 weeks off and weekends where you still need proper clothes.

I don't like that Shabina Begum character that won a recent case with the Muslim dress (the accusations of bigotry etc. from her side brings out the 'well bu**er off to some other country if you don't like it' attitude in me) but I hope more of these cases arise and further stuff those stuck in the poverty-stricken years of numerous decades ago who think uniforms for children are a good idea. There is also another human rights angle where everyone has the freedom to do as they wish (within reason) and so forth, this seems to clash somewhat with uniforms at school, it's different with professionals because there is usually a point and there was choice involved initially. Children usually have little choice to which school they go to along with them having to go to school in the first place (ignoring home teaching etc.) But I guess this freedom of choice is kinda like 'democracy' in this country... (democracy = rule of the mob, which generally means we're all at the mercy of the idiot majority anyway, but it would be nice if the mostly Labour councils hadn't moved voters around so the Tories or whoever else need a significant majority just to get the same amount of seats as Labour - no small wonder why proportional representation has been quietly put to one side)

For the record I had to endure uniforms at Secondary school (11 to 16 year old), I missed uniforms being brought in at the Primary School by a year. Thankfully I got some sicknote so I got out of ever wearing a tie (so nice to have a ready made noose around your neck I don' t think).
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Just wondered if anyone on this planet had a decent excuse as to why 5-16 year olds should be forced into wearing uniforms at school. It's bad enough that children have to suffer the prison-like environment that are modern day schools, such as the big metal fencing, rigid schedule, rubbish food, the not-too-bright staff and so on without the generally god-awful colours the schools insist you wear. The cost excuse doesn't wash because uniforms are usually expensive so the said prison/school can make a few quid and you still at the end of the day have 6 weeks off and weekends where you still need proper clothes.

I don't like that Shabina Begum character that won a recent case with the Muslim dress (the accusations of bigotry etc. from her side brings out the 'well bu**er off to some other country if you don't like it' attitude in me) but I hope more of these cases arise and further stuff those stuck in the poverty-stricken years of numerous decades ago who think uniforms for children are a good idea. There is also another human rights angle where everyone has the freedom to do as they wish (within reason) and so forth, this seems to clash somewhat with uniforms at school, it's different with professionals because there is usually a point and there was choice involved initially. Children usually have little choice to which school they go to along with them having to go to school in the first place (ignoring home teaching etc.) But I guess this freedom of choice is kinda like 'democracy' in this country... (democracy = rule of the mob, which generally means we're all at the mercy of the idiot majority anyway, but it would be nice if the mostly Labour councils hadn't moved voters around so the Tories or whoever else need a significant majority just to get the same amount of seats as Labour - no small wonder why proportional representation has been quietly put to one side)

For the record I had to endure uniforms at Secondary school (11 to 16 year old), I missed uniforms being brought in at the Primary School by a year. Thankfully I got some sicknote so I got out of ever wearing a tie (so nice to have a ready made noose around your neck I don' t think).
    I think discipline at school is a bigger problem than school uniforms. I guess they make the kids easily identifiable, and maybe it at least stops kids being picked on at school for the way they dress (so they can get picked for for whatever else haha).

I'm sure teachers would love more home schooling, as that might mean some of the little *******s become their parent's problem. The downside to this would be if they had parents like those who have been encouraging their kids to riot over here in Oz lately then we could become even dumber.

International Debutant cricket player's Avatar
    This debate I had with my history teacher.I really like the idea of having uniforms.I like The uniform alot,It makes you look more like a school student,If you see kids around with there bagy pants and hoods on,It feels like you are studying in a ghetto or some place like that,
    Bob is very insane stay away from him

FAVOURITE UNDER 19 CRICKETER JP McNamara AKA ORTHODOX

Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    This debate I had with my history teacher.I really like the idea of having uniforms.I like The uniform alot,It makes you look more like a school student,If you see kids around with there bagy pants and hoods on,It feels like you are studying in a ghetto or some place like that,
    Err yea, make a bunch of individuals into a flock of sheep - not only bad but somewhat dangerous in Wales, Australia, New Zealand...

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    and maybe it at least stops kids being picked on at school for the way they dress (so they can get picked for for whatever else haha).
    Doesn't work, people will find other things as you said and also most uniforms won't cover what coat or shoes you wear so they'll just take the p*** out of those instead.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    From a work-related perspective, I see the main benefit of uniforms to identify who are students (after school, for example) so that Police can better determine whether an older gentleman (for example) should be hanging around school-age kids who might not be able to be determined as such if in civvies. Here in SA, three warnings can be given to someone hanging around kids for loitering before a Paedophile Restraining Order can be considered in court. It would be much harder to issue one of those warnings if it wasn't clear to the copper in question whether the kids in question are of school age or not.

Other than that, it's difficult to think of a reason for school uniforms other than school pride bilge.

I don't like that Shabina Begum character that won a recent case with the Muslim dress (the accusations of bigotry etc. from her side brings out the 'well bu**er off to some other country if you don't like it' attitude in me)
    It's really weird to watch you argue for freedom of choice in the rest of your post yet decide that choice doesn't include wearing a muslim headscarf. What the.....?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I'm sure teachers would love more home schooling, as that might mean some of the little *******s become their parent's problem. The downside to this would be if they had parents like those who have been encouraging their kids to riot over here in Oz lately then we could become even dumber.
    Damn right. Homeschooling assumes that all parents are capable and able to make decisions for their child's educational future and that is so not the case. We've also had a few cases come up here where parents took their kids out of school and home-schooled them so that no-one would ask any questions about the sexual abuse they were perpetrating against their kids.

Yeah fancy that ever happening in a private school, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    The Muslims at that school could wear headscarfs and other things, it was the accusations of bigotry & racism and whatever else that annoyed me.
    Muslims werent allowed to wear headscarfs in france,I thought It was a stupid Idea by the french goverment as always,

When you throw about terms like bigotry and racism there should be some really firm evidence, not just some disagreement. If someone used those terms concerning a celeb on such flimsy grounds they would rightly get sued.

Do you guys have the pledge when you first enter the class room?the administrators has banned That in usa because They thought it takes alot of educational time,I thought it was an stupid Idea to remove it,Because we should be thankfull That we are recieving free education and show praise the free country of ours.

Only bother with a register here, very little patriotic stuff - history was just pointless conjecture about some battle in 1066 and bits and pieces about kings & queens which I also quickly forgot. I don't recall ever hearing anything that happened in the last 100 years (I only did history for as long as I could drop it at 14 tho).

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    school uniform never bothered me that much
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    If you cant afford the overpriced School uniform which then has summer wear, winter wear, 2-3 pairs of socks, jacket, sports jacket.. a hoody and baggy pants is your only option..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information