Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: I wonder !!

  1. #1
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264

    I wonder !!

    Sometime back, irritated by post after post after post exchanged between two worthies on the CW, I decided to put them on the 'ignore' list so that I could see those posts that were not the exclusive domain of their private debate.

    It made things far easier but sometimes I feel I may be deprivcing myself of some earth shattering revelations.

    Today, going thorough the last four pages , four complete pages mind you, I found only the following available for me to read, the rest were neatly laid between blue lines, date and time of the mighty debating arguments and an official sounding statement telling me that the message was hidden from me because the worthy was on my 'ignore' list. At the other end was a polite query asking me if I wanted to change my mind about not wanting to expose myself to the presence of thesemighty warriors.

    This is what I could read, besides :-
    (the hyphens are the hidden posts)
    4th last Page -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

    3rd last page

    marc71178 Like GIles, it's clearly only low because by some miracle he's avoided being hit big-time...-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    marc71178 I bet you've missed a lot more than 1 in every 200 balls that Flintoff (or for that matter any bowler who has other played the game but isn't you) has bowled.

    Even though you don't actually know when he had the injury.
    -
    marc71178 What do you have against finger-spinners? and why is it that 4.2-4.4 an over is so bad?-
    -
    -
    -
    -

    2nd last page
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    last page

    marc71178 Ignoring the point about run rates increasing, not surprising that you'd do that.-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

    I am perplexed. A lot of questions bother me.

    1. What are these guys so engrossed in ? They are more obsessed with each other than any lovers I have ever seen.
    2. Why doesnt Marc leave them alone ?
    3. Could it reallly be that I am the guy missing out on all the fun ?/

    I wonder


  2. #2
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,012
    the two name that came to my mind was what i found in the thread
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  3. #3
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    Try ignoring anything below the tour threads like I've come accustomed (sp?) to doing. Does wonders for the quality of post......

    As for missing out, as the great Roy Walker says on 'Carpark Catchphrase' on BBC Radio One, I feel like I'm missing out as much as I'm missing out on 'a fork in the eye'.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

    - Stephen Currie

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

  4. #4
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Try ignoring anything below the tour threads like I've come accustomed (sp?) to doing. Does wonders for the quality of post......

    As for missing out, as the great Roy Walker says on 'Carpark Catchphrase' on BBC Radio One, I feel like I'm missing out as much as I'm missing out on 'a fork in the eye'
    .


  5. #5
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,330
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    1. What are these guys so engrossed in ? They are more obsessed with each other than any lovers I have ever seen.
    2. Why doesnt Marc leave them alone ?
    3. Could it reallly be that I am the guy missing out on all the fun ?/

    I wonder

    You're a wicked, wicked man SJS!!

    I have to say I find it a tad dispiriting that there's so little give-and-take between their respective positions. Just once I'd like to wake up & be that certain I was absolutely correct in my beliefs!

    IIRC Mr Wright once started a "Richard vs TEC" thread, perhaps it's time for it to be resurrected?!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  6. #6
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    You're a wicked, wicked man SJS!!

    I have to say I find it a tad dispiriting that there's so little give-and-take between their respective positions. Just once I'd like to wake up & be that certain I was absolutely correct in my beliefs!

    IIRC Mr Wright once started a "Richard vs TEC" thread, perhaps it's time for it to be resurrected?!
    You know BB I am absolutely "amazed" (for want of a stronger word) how these guys can go on and on and on for hours, weeks, months without making an iota of an impression on the other, nor getting influenced one nano-bit themselves and STILL keeping at it !!! Why ????

    There are a couple of people on this web who make outrageous statements and proclaim them as facts even provide dubious statistics which with a bit of knowledge, or research, can be blasted to bits and I have done that once in a while. But when you realise that it is a pointless excercise, I give up and then those posters are persona-non-grata for me. Not because I cant convince them but because both of us cant do any good to each other. So I just avoid them (except the occasional tongue-in-cheek remark addressed to no one in particular).

    But here are these two guys who take so much trouble to achieve ZILCH !!

    Stunning.

  7. #7
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    You know BB I am absolutely "amazed" (for want of a stronger word) how these guys can go on and on and on for hours, weeks, months without making an iota of an impression on the other, nor getting influenced one nano-bit themselves and STILL keeping at it !!! Why ????

    Stunning.
    I think you have succinctly summed up the main reason why people (other than those two) find it so frustrating to deal with because as you say, if you whack them on the ignore list then you miss out on pages and pages of posts (not too bothered about that) but also on replies people make to them which might be relevant to the overall discussion.

    Then again, what can be done as they generally don't abuse each other, they just post each other to death (can that be made a crime for the health of the human race? ). They seem to be nice blokes but dear me, please just show some persona, show some character and agree to disagree or make a concession to one another.

  8. #8
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,330
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    You know BB I am absolutely "amazed" (for want of a stronger word) how these guys can go on and on and on for hours, weeks, months without making an iota of an impression on the other, nor getting influenced one nano-bit themselves and STILL keeping at it !!! Why ????

    There are a couple of people on this web who make outrageous statements and proclaim them as facts even provide dubious statistics which with a bit of knowledge, or research, can be blasted to bits and I have done that once in a while. But when you realise that it is a pointless excercise, I give up and then those posters are persona-non-grata for me. Not because I cant convince them but because both of us cant do any good to each other. So I just avoid them (except the occasional tongue-in-cheek remark addressed to no one in particular).

    But here are these two guys who take so much trouble to achieve ZILCH !!

    Stunning.
    Your post put me in mind of Karl Marx's famous aphorism:

    "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

  9. #9
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,012
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    1. What are these guys so engrossed in ? They are more obsessed with each other than any lovers I have ever seen.
    2. Why doesnt Marc leave them alone ?
    3. Could it reallly be that I am the guy missing out on all the fun ?/

    I wonder

    But i see that you had today or yesterday quoted a post by Richard how is that possible if u had him in the ignore list

  10. #10
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian
    But i see that you had today or yesterday quoted a post by Richard how is that possible if u had him in the ignore list
    Oh yes. I do read some replies to his posts by others and if it interests me, I try to read the original (if it is close by ).

    MInd you its not because I have anything against Richard but this going on and on and on about the same thing really stmies me plus makes it difficult to go through the posts. I think PY has summed it up nicely.
    Last edited by SJS; 03-03-2005 at 10:05 AM.

  11. #11
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,378
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    You're a wicked, wicked man SJS!!

    I have to say I find it a tad dispiriting that there's so little give-and-take between their respective positions. Just once I'd like to wake up & be that certain I was absolutely correct in my beliefs!

    IIRC Mr Wright once started a "Richard vs TEC" thread, perhaps it's time for it to be resurrected?!
    Could be wrong, but I remember it being "Richard vs Marc"
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    No, Kyle definately created a "Richard vs tec" thread.
    I think there may have been a "Richard vs marc71178" one somewhere, too, though.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Oh yes. I do read some replies to his posts by others and if it interests me, I try to read the original (if it is close by ).

    MInd you its not because I have anything against Richard but this going on and on and on about the same thing really stmies me plus makes it difficult to go through the posts. I think PY has summed it up nicely.
    SJS, I am hurt and disappointed that I am on your ignore-list.
    It really isn't difficult, at all, to just skip any threads which have become exclusive to tec and myself - as you say, it's not like you're going to gain anything by reading the odd isolated comment here and there (if there are any).

  14. #14
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Your post put me in mind of Karl Marx's famous aphorism:

    "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."
    Yep, gone through my mind plenty of times.
    As soon as tec disagrees with a single comment I make, anywhere, I immidiately think "here we go again..." and it rarely fails to happen.
    Exactly the same thing every time - pages and pages of 10-quote posts (once it gets to more than 10 I break it down).
    Last edited by Richard; 03-03-2005 at 06:41 PM.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Then again, what can be done as they generally don't abuse each other
    Well, not entirely - if I had a quid for every time tec had called me a fool I'd be a very, very rich man. Doesn't generally go beyond that - there's the odd "stupid" here and there, but normally I just take it in my stride.
    They seem to be nice blokes but dear me, please just show some persona, show some character and agree to disagree or make a concession to one another.
    Yet you know what'd happen then: "see, yet another thing you were proved wrong on"... as if it doesn't happen often enough (and I'd forgive most people for not knowing it does).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •