Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    I think you'll find the difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion is that pro-choice = belief that it should be the woman's choice in all instances as to whether she wants to have an abortion or not. THe woman should be able to choose what she considers to be the best alternative given her situation

Pro-abortion would be more hardline towards abortion being the only option in certain cases. I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro-choice so I can't say exactly what the agenda behind pro-abortion would be but as I'd imagine it there'd be situations where a pro-abortionist would consider it compulsory to get an abortion (i.e: if the woman was raped, if the child is possibly deformed in some way, if the people involved cannot look after it) - and these are only guesses as I said. Pro-choice consider it the woman's (or people involved) choice at all times, no matter what the circumstances.

From a pro-life perspective, when have we started assuming we have the right to tell someone else what's the best option for them, their life and their body? I don't think we have the right to push our idea of what constitutes a life at a certain stage of development. Obviously, reading the posts on here, individual interpretations of this vary quite a lot and that's why I'm pro-choice - I like to see the people involved allowed to decide that for themselves, not have it dictated to them from an outside source.
    I'm pretty much in total agreement. An actively pro-abortion stance would be far worse even than a pro-life one because it would involve making value-laden judgements about the fitness of someone to be a mother (or, to a lesser extent, father) before the fact. I'm sure there are a minority of women who chose to carry their rapist's child to term; I wholeheartedly admire them for doing do, but equally see nothing that would convince me to deny the choice to others who would not wish to.

A question I don't think I've seen a pro-lifer address on the thread yet is what would be their stance if continuing with the pregnancy would seriously endanger the life of the mother? By denying her the chance of a termination we would effectively be saying she did not have the right to save her own life.

Just a thought....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    the problem that i see with your view is that you are trying to force everyone to your way of thinking while pro-choice people are fighting for everyone's rights including your right to opt against abortion.
    What I meant to say was that because of someone's view on abortion, people seem to be saying that one's view on abortion means that they are some kind of person because of their views. It's a personal gripe of mine that I get branded with a brush purely because of my views on certain issues which means I must think this or think that.

agreed that some such children might have a chance to lead positive, reasonably normal lives...but for all such positive cases, there are many more negative cases which will understandably not be so high-profile...that again makes it a choice for the parents, especially the mother...
    If it's OK I would like to agree to disagree on this because of my belief in any kind of life is better than having no life at all. It may be contraversial but I feel it has arguments for it as well as against (as does your stance).

pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion...it just means that the person concerned, ie the pregnant woman should have the choice...and i am ok with what goes on...i don't know if you are trying to brand pro-choice folks as something bad(looks like that but i'm not sure what you want to say)...yes i am stating here that i am happy with what abortion stands for...i feel my stand is morally and practically justifiable...
    I'm not trying to brand pro-choice as bad, evil folk who only come out when it's a full-moon but maybe I was a little emotive in that quoted section. It just erks me that people can say that they think abortion is a nasty thing to do but then try and distance themselves by saying they aren't happy but there's no other way. Does the end always justify the means? Again, that probably sounds emotive but I'm just attempting to express what I mean in words which I'm finding remarkably difficult. I guess if I'd been around more on the forum or you knew me in person then you'd know that I'd never brand someone as bad for disagreeing with me. I don't have a problem with anyone who disagrees with me in a constructive manner but I not fond of people who gang-up then bulldoze.

i for one am not gonna call you anything...i don't even know you...but it's a load of bull when you say it's nothing to do with the woman, it's what abortion stands for...it's everything to do with the woman...it's the woman who gets pregnant, who carries the baby, who has the baby delivered or aborted...in a vacuum, abortion doesn't stand for anything...it's how the women concerned choose to use it or not use it...
    I didn't mean that it's nothing to do with the woman as in it shouldn't be any kind of thoughts for the woman, I meant that it's not because I'm sexist or that I feel the woman is too weak to make the decision but that people seem to be saying that it's some kind of inbuilt thing that pro-life people want to take away woman's rights in this areas because they are woman. That isn't my intention and I apologise that it made it sound like that, I can understand where you might have got me talking 'bull'
    from.

Do people respect pro-life people less for having these views? I'm not that bothered (considering the medium we're in) but I just wondered whether people would feel so strongly about it that they would feel it would encroach on a friendship?
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    This thread would have to hold the record for largest posts... the reference book is coming out soon 'Abortion - The Thread'
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Do people respect pro-life people less for having these views? I'm not that bothered (considering the medium we're in) but I just wondered whether people would feel so strongly about it that they would feel it would encroach on a friendship?
    Yup. Your house is getting fire-bombed at Easter...

Anyway, I have no respect for you anyway, so I really can't see that decreasing. Okay, okay, serious mode - I have no problem with people believing what they want so long as they don't go forcing their views upon others.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

PY
    I didn't ask for your respect anyway Neil.

You lost all mine when I saw you first take part in PE.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Rape is another issue, but again, its an innocent child, and they should not be punished for their fathers behaviour.
    But the mother should be?

A constant reminder of the act,
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Naturally, I will take all the credit for creating such an interesting thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Does the end always justify the means?
    No but that's not what us in the pro-choice camp are saying. We're saying that the value judgement should be up to the people involved hence even if we don't agree with the choice, we respect the person's right to make it. No-one LIKES the idea of an abortion but sometimes, they're somewhat necessary in my opinion at least.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Pinball Champion!
    I cannot see how terminating something that hasn't been born can be seen as murder..

Over reaction from religious groups?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I cannot see how terminating something that hasn't been born can be seen as murder..

Over reaction from religious groups?
    I'm not sure birth is a cut-off point I'd be happy with. I'd prefer something like "able to sustain independent life". Ultimately any cut off point is going to be arbitrary, but any abortion after 16-18 weeks should (IMO) only be considered in extreme cases (like where continuing with the pregnancy would seriously endanger the mother).

Of course the Catholic church still teaches that all contraception is a sin. That always makes me think of the "Every sperm is sacred" song from The Meaning of Life.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Of course the Catholic church still teaches that all contraception is a sin. That always makes me think of the "Every sperm is sacred" song from The Meaning of Life.
    The less said the better.. Some people absolutely amaze me..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I'm not sure birth is a cut-off point I'd be happy with. I'd prefer something like "able to sustain independent life". Ultimately any cut off point is going to be arbitrary, but any abortion after 16-18 weeks should (IMO) only be considered in extreme cases (like where continuing with the pregnancy would seriously endanger the mother).
    The thing is, most doctors refuse to perform abortions from about half-way through the second trimester anyway. Some, of course, still do but the majority of abortions are first-trimester. I've actually seen a late-term curette; not a pretty sight.

By the way, thanks for bringing up your story regatrding you and your significant other; I think it brings home just how difficult the decision to abort is and it's almost never on whim like some pro-life people would have us believe (not in this thread, however).

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    really

Does it matter what peoples posistions are on this issue?

Catholics are wholehearted against it as are Pro-Bush Supporters it THEIR right

there are no right or wrong answers on this issue

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    really

Does it matter what peoples posistions are on this issue?

Catholics are wholehearted against it as are Pro-Bush Supporters it THEIR right

there are no right or wrong answers on this issue
    what is wrong is their trying to force others whose religions and belief systems are different to follow what they believe in....that is not the democracy they claim to espouse....pro-choice encompasses pro-life as well but pro-life wants to kill the possibility of any choice....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Anil

I dont think anyone is doing that

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information