Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 379

Thread: Abortion?

  1. #256
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,641
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    All I was saying is that if you accept that the argument can be made that a foetus at any stage has any rights (accept that it's a POV that can be legitimately held, not necessarily agree with it), then you also need to accept that someone who holds that view won't accept that abortion is "the woman's choice".
    I don't think so. I see a foetus the same way that you do but I'm still pro-choice. Understanding how arbitrary our judgments on what constitutes a human life are makes it hard for me to justify imposing my own gut feeling on a vague moral question on a pregnant 17 year old girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  2. #257
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  3. #258
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,670
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  4. #259
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178


  5. #260
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't think so. I see a foetus the same way that you do but I'm still pro-choice. Understanding how arbitrary our judgments on what constitutes a human life are makes it hard for me to justify imposing my own gut feeling on a vague moral question on a pregnant 17 year old girl.
    ????

    You have to draw a line somewhere, arbitrary or not, otherwise a mother could kill her 40 year old son and argue that it's arbitrary to say that life begins at any particular point and therefore you can't say for sure that he was alive

    And don't tell me that the line is when the baby comes out teh vag, because that's just too arbitrary

  6. #261
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,841
    Why? Up until then, the fetus is a parasite on the woman, so it would make sense that the line is drawn there. Or at least, until the fetus can survive on its own outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #262
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,444
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    DWTA.

    I find it hard to believe that people are complacent enough that they'll have unsafe sex just to go through the traumatic and invasive experience of having a procedure that will cost several hundreds of dollars and stigmatise them for the rest of their life.
    ....

    I can only speak from personal experience, but many girls who ended up pregnant in my school days had abortions, and more than one was known to not have used protection.

    Never underestimate stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  8. #263
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,841
    That's not what he was saying. He was saying people don't have sex with the expectation of getting an abortion. They don't expect to get pregnant for whatever reason, but very few women are totally flippant about surgery and its complications. I'd venture a negligible percentage.


    Clearly more people ought to use protection (though from my perspective, that's more for STDs than pregnancy).

  9. #264
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That's not what he was saying. He was saying people don't have sex with the expectation of getting an abortion. They don't expect to get pregnant for whatever reason
    How on earth does this situation exist, where so many people have sex without properly realising the risk of pregnancy?

    Could it possibly have something to do with the artificial separation between sex and pregnancy that post-feminist society encourages (imo)?

    Clearly more people ought to use protection (though from my perspective, that's more for STDs than pregnancy).
    Can you explain why you say that? I sense you are comparatively blase about unwanted pregnancy, which creeps me out pretty much (just being honest, I can't pretend I can appraise this issue in a coldly unemotional way)

  10. #265
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Why? Up until then, the fetus is a parasite on the woman, so it would make sense that the line is drawn there.
    I'm no expert on the matter, but I was born close to a month early. AFAIK an "abortion" after 7-8 months would be pretty much butchering a near-developed baby which had the misfortune to not get out quicker

    Or at least, until the fetus can survive on its own outside.
    This makes more sense. I mean, it's a position that chills me to the core of my already cold cold heart, but it seems justifiable

  11. #266
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,077
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I'm no expert on the matter, but I was born close to a month early. AFAIK an "abortion" after 7-8 months would be pretty much butchering a near-developed baby which had the misfortune to not get out quicker
    It would also be illegal.

  12. #267
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    ????

    You have to draw a line somewhere, arbitrary or not, otherwise a mother could kill her 40 year old son and argue that it's arbitrary to say that life begins at any particular point and therefore you can't say for sure that he was alive

    And don't tell me that the line is when the baby comes out teh vag, because that's just too arbitrary
    In fact it's the only time that isn't arbitrary. It's the only time when you can definitively say that the child is living independently of the mother.

    Having said that, I would have serious reservations and be quite traumatised by the thought of aborting a child after the stage where it could survive if born prematurely and even more so where it could be born prematurely without severe complications. However, not being the person who has to go through the pregnancy or the one with breasts who will subsequently be the primary carer, the mother would have the ultimate decision.

    I can foresee scenarios where at 32 weeks an event happens, or a realisation occurs that leads the mother to make a perfectly rational decision that the best outcome is for the pregnancy to be terminated. But I don't think anyone would make that decision on a whim and under current laws it would be illegal.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

    CricketWeb Black!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

  13. #268
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,773
    It is interesting that people choose the arbitrary point of "child can survive on its own" to draw the line in this debate.

    Does that mean we can euthanise two year old children because they could not survive on their own if they turn out to be inconvenient?

    A big problem here, and one that we're evolutionarily working to address ourselves (should only take another hundred generations or so) is that the "parenthood" hormones do not kick in until the child is nearly fully developed. Parenthood hormones are designed to protect the offspring even though it may cost the parents (they are particularly strong in women). Currently our hormones are designed around the way in which our ancestors procreated. First work on screwing and then once the child is almost there worry about the nurturing, providing and protecting.

    I find that much of our modern culture is very self-centric. It is all about what is best for me, not what is best for society. We train our children through media that the goal of teenage boys should be to get into the pants of teenage girls. We train our girls to be "empowered" by using sex as both a weapon and a social lever. We teach ourselves that condoms are optional in pornography. The one thing that we never teach is that there might be people hurt by our actions. Our society has worked so hard at mitigating the need for responsibility that we have largely forgotten what responsibility even is.

    We encourage cures rather than prevention because they're easier. Then we wonder why the divorce rate and single parent rates are so high and why there are no "good men" and why all the women are "bitches" who are just after us for our money. There are no "good men" because there are few masculine role models who model responsibility as well as strength and power. Most male role models (look at Charlie in two and a half men) are portrayed as "cool" because they use their power to do nothing more than take advantage of as many women as possible. Our society is the most selfish in history and the abortion rate is merely one (albeit foul) consequence of that.

  14. #269
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    In fact it's the only time that isn't arbitrary. It's the only time when you can definitively say that the child is living independently of the mother.
    No no no no...it's the most arbitrary, because if you wait for the child to come out, and then kill it, suddenly you're a murderer. The child does not suddenly acquire new powers when it comes out.

    As Stephen said, babies and small children would also be incapable of surviving on their own, as well as having a very low level of ability to truly comprehend their own existence....I see very little difference between a mother choosing to have her baby killed/euthanised/post-womb aborted (whatever you wanna call it) and a very late term abortion (which as GF mentioned is perhaps illegal anyway) ultimately both involve an entity that can physically survive on its own, but has a very low level of sentience. To suggest that a human being who has developed to the point where it could survive if taken from the womb and placed in the care of adults should have its right to exist determined by its mother is crazy imo.....if that's the case then the same should apply to babies who have been born.

    btw, this debate has been useful for me to consider my own views on the matter, and I think that I really believe that you shouldn't be able to abort at any point after conception, although I'd be happy with certain exceptions for rape, age, health issues etc. The issue of arbitrariness for me necessitates that you go right back to the start of the process, and acknowledge that sex leads to pregnancy leads to human life, the risks are there, and two consenting adults have chosen to take them and should bear the consequences. The "isn't a sperm a baby then?" argument just doesn't really register with me- sex, the interaction of "man bits and lady bits", creates the combination of cells, or whatever, that grows in to a human. That's where it's at for me.
    Last edited by thierry henry; 30-01-2011 at 09:13 PM.

  15. #270
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    I can foresee scenarios where at 32 weeks an event happens, or a realisation occurs that leads the mother to make a perfectly rational decision that the best outcome is for the pregnancy to be terminated.
    Assuming the 32 week old baby would be capable of being born and surviving at that point without lasting health complications- what makes this any different from a mother making a perfectly rational decision to "abort" her baby 2 days after it is born? I can certainly see scenarios where she might want to do that as well.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ..................
    By yaju in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •