Cricket Player Manager
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    It is?
    Sure. Adoption, for example. Obviously it's not reasonable to just neglect it entirely, but you can choose not to raise a baby after it's born, which is one of the various reasons why killing it isn't really a reasonable course of action even though it can't really survive on its own.

I'm mainly responding to the "arguments in favour of abortion are also applicable to new born babies" argument here.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Ah sure enough, misunderstood you
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I always found it strange how few people actually take this option up as an alternative to having an abortion.
    1. Pregnancy is dangerous.
    2. There is stigma and societal pressures associated with pregnancy in certain circumstances (teenager, unwed, product of rape/incest etc)
    3. It interrupts the lifestyle (e.g may have to drop out of school, work, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    'Pregnancy is dangerous'

Tobacco companies should replace 'Smoking Kills' with that on the front of the packets, will drive the sales right up

Haha probably. You're effectively carrying a rapidly growing parasite for nine months within your body.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Should have it written on bottles of tequila tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Should have it written on bottles of tequila tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Really upsets me that something like this is allowed in Australia.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Well obviously we disagree on the abortion issue .

My sister was close to being aborted, we laugh about it now. Family planning is so, so important though in our society.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i ain't watching a 13 min video

I'm ready to fire up.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    i ain't watching a 13 min video
    If I understand it correctly, failed abortions (babies that are born despite an attempted abortion) are now left to die, as it is illegal for the hospital personnel to give them medical assistance.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Pretty misleading (no surprise). For example, the video reckons doctors can't refuse to do an abortion when they have a conscientious objection when the act itself says they are only forced to do one if the mother's life is in danger by not doing it. The bit about there being no counselling is dubious; it's not compulsory but it generally happens in private clinics. Any assertions to the contrary, evidence please. In hospitals, there's a whole team dedicated to exactly that so it won't be a problem there.

The act;

ABORTION LAW REFORM ACT 2008

The bit on late-term (> 24 week) abortions is pretty questionable too. The way this video portrays it, perfectly healthy babies are being aborted willy nilly when the number of late-term abortions are very small, even with the increase (the 600% figure is useless/emotive/without source). In the past 10 years we've seen a massive increase in the ability to screen and diagnose disabilities, either those which result in a child's death early or severely disable them for life so, of course, we're going to see an increase in the late-term abortion rate, especially since most of the worst abnormalities can only be diagnosed post 20 weeks and, in a large proportion of cases, the mother would miscarry. The act gives people the freedom to terminate in these circumstances for reasons which should be really ****ing obvious.

The number of people who terminate late-term without a medical reason relating to the mother or foetus is around zero. Public hospitals won't do it and most clinics won't either. The Victorian Law Reform Commission's report on this very topic names one clinic as providing late-term abortions for non-medical reasons and still their minimum criteria is serious psychological problems with the mother. The AIHW has reasonable data on the issue with the Hospital Mortality Database and a Birth Defects Register (since 1982) so it's not as if the problem is poorly understood.

The VLRC's report from '08;

http://www.lawreform.vic.gov.au/wps/...ion_Report.pdf

Since the 90's, there's been a drop in the abortion rate anyway. Fewer people are having abortions, <1% have one post 20 weeks. It's hardly a perfect system but geez, the way some people would have it, it's full of licensed butchers terminating babies because entitled mothers don't want to ruin their bikini bodies. Late-term abortions generally only happen with some pretty compelling reasons behind it both in hospitals or private clinics. Anyone who gets an abortion outside of those systems, well, that's always been the case and there's not a lot that can be done to stop it. Decriminalising abortion has just meant there's fewer people going with the latter and more with the former where there's a lot more support which is an massive improvement on that which came before.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 19-01-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    If I understand it correctly, failed abortions (babies that are born despite an attempted abortion) are now left to die, as it is illegal for the hospital personnel to give them medical assistance.
    Nothing in the act about that.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread Information