Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 379

Thread: Abortion?

  1. #181
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,889
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It might take two to create a baby, but once you've shot your load, your job is done.
    When's the missus due? You're in for a shock
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  2. #182
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,889
    I don't think comparing a foetus to a coma patient is really appropriate. At the end of the day, if you chose to not feed a newborn baby there would be nothing it could do about it so it wouldn't be able to survive alone out of the womb either.

    This isn't a for or against argument, simply that a coma patient is an entirely different situation.

  3. #183
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,209
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    When's the missus due? You're in for a shock
    5 weeks. Was referring to pregnancy with the "job done" remark.

  4. #184
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I don't think comparing a foetus to a coma patient is really appropriate. At the end of the day, if you chose to not feed a newborn baby there would be nothing it could do about it so it wouldn't be able to survive alone out of the womb either.

    This isn't a for or against argument, simply that a coma patient is an entirely different situation.
    A pretty big proportion of the pro-abortion arguments could also be applied to newborn babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.


  5. #185
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,889
    care to elaborate?

  6. #186
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    A pretty big proportion of the pro-abortion arguments could also be applied to newborn babies.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

    -Tolstoy

  7. #187
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I don't think comparing a foetus to a coma patient is really appropriate. At the end of the day, if you chose to not feed a newborn baby there would be nothing it could do about it so it wouldn't be able to survive alone out of the womb either.

    This isn't a for or against argument, simply that a coma patient is an entirely different situation.
    It's only appropriate in the context of what counts as "murder". There's a difference between being dependant on care from outside sources to survive and being incapable of respiration, organ function etc. Someone who is elderly or disabled or whatever might require constant care and attention to survive, but killing or neglecting them would still be a crime because they're a living person.

    A coma patient on life support isn't legally considered to be alive, and the machine is just on until someone decides to turn it off and allow them to die. Similarly, a foetus at 10 weeks barely even qualifies as a human, and certainly isn't capable of any kind of "life" on its own. Calling the termination of a pregnancy at that point of development "murder" is pretty absurd in my eyes.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  8. #188
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    care to elaborate?
    Apart from the "it couldn't survive by itself", there's things like, "it's unfair to force a woman to go through something so difficult against her will", and "unwanted children often have difficult lives". They could all be used just as accurately in favour of killing newborn babies.

    FTR I'm exactly like you; find abortion distasteful and wouldn't want one personally but am pro-choice because I don't want to impose my feelings towards it on everybody else. It's really none of my business.

  9. #189
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    TBH, newborns can be left at hospitals, churches, etc if you don't want to take care of one. You can't do that with a 10 week old fetus.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  10. #190
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    The difference is still about autonomous life. It's perfectly reasonable to choose not to look after an infant for example, but killing it is ending a human life, because while that baby can't feed itself or file a tax return, it can "live" on its own strength. A foetus cannot.

  11. #191
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    TBH, newborns can be left at hospitals, churches, etc if you don't want to take care of one. You can't do that with a 10 week old fetus.
    I always found it strange how few people actually take this option up as an alternative to having an abortion.

  12. #192
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    The difference is still about autonomous life. It's perfectly reasonable to choose not to look after an infant for example, but killing it is ending a human life, because while that baby can't feed itself or file a tax return, it can "live" on its own strength. A foetus cannot.
    I don't really agree with this definition of whether something's alive or not. I don't fully agree with any technical definition of what constitutes a life, though. There's holes in all of them.

    I don't feel too strongly on it really. The fact that I disagree with most justifications for abortion is entirely secondary simply because I don't see why anyone who wants to have an abortion should have to justify it to me in the first place. That said, I do get drawn into debates on it a fair bit.

  13. #193
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I always found it strange how few people actually take this option up as an alternative to having an abortion.
    Well obviously there are two main reasons

    1 - The fear of regretting the separation/being unable to part with the baby (obviously there are some logic flaws in this line of thought but at the same time it makes a lot of sense)
    2 - Not wanting to go through pregnancy

  14. #194
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,889
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    It's perfectly reasonable to choose not to look after an infant for example.
    It is?

  15. #195
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    It is?
    Under certain circumstances, it certainly is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ..................
    By yaju in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •