Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It might take two to create a baby, but once you've shot your load, your job is done.
    When's the missus due? You're in for a shock
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I don't think comparing a foetus to a coma patient is really appropriate. At the end of the day, if you chose to not feed a newborn baby there would be nothing it could do about it so it wouldn't be able to survive alone out of the womb either.

This isn't a for or against argument, simply that a coma patient is an entirely different situation.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    When's the missus due? You're in for a shock
    5 weeks. Was referring to pregnancy with the "job done" remark.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I don't think comparing a foetus to a coma patient is really appropriate. At the end of the day, if you chose to not feed a newborn baby there would be nothing it could do about it so it wouldn't be able to survive alone out of the womb either.

This isn't a for or against argument, simply that a coma patient is an entirely different situation.
    A pretty big proportion of the pro-abortion arguments could also be applied to newborn babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

care to elaborate?

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    A pretty big proportion of the pro-abortion arguments could also be applied to newborn babies.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar

It's only appropriate in the context of what counts as "murder". There's a difference between being dependant on care from outside sources to survive and being incapable of respiration, organ function etc. Someone who is elderly or disabled or whatever might require constant care and attention to survive, but killing or neglecting them would still be a crime because they're a living person.

A coma patient on life support isn't legally considered to be alive, and the machine is just on until someone decides to turn it off and allow them to die. Similarly, a foetus at 10 weeks barely even qualifies as a human, and certainly isn't capable of any kind of "life" on its own. Calling the termination of a pregnancy at that point of development "murder" is pretty absurd in my eyes.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

care to elaborate?
    Apart from the "it couldn't survive by itself", there's things like, "it's unfair to force a woman to go through something so difficult against her will", and "unwanted children often have difficult lives". They could all be used just as accurately in favour of killing newborn babies.

FTR I'm exactly like you; find abortion distasteful and wouldn't want one personally but am pro-choice because I don't want to impose my feelings towards it on everybody else. It's really none of my business.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    TBH, newborns can be left at hospitals, churches, etc if you don't want to take care of one. You can't do that with a 10 week old fetus.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    The difference is still about autonomous life. It's perfectly reasonable to choose not to look after an infant for example, but killing it is ending a human life, because while that baby can't feed itself or file a tax return, it can "live" on its own strength. A foetus cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    TBH, newborns can be left at hospitals, churches, etc if you don't want to take care of one. You can't do that with a 10 week old fetus.
    I always found it strange how few people actually take this option up as an alternative to having an abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    The difference is still about autonomous life. It's perfectly reasonable to choose not to look after an infant for example, but killing it is ending a human life, because while that baby can't feed itself or file a tax return, it can "live" on its own strength. A foetus cannot.
    I don't really agree with this definition of whether something's alive or not. I don't fully agree with any technical definition of what constitutes a life, though. There's holes in all of them.

I don't feel too strongly on it really. The fact that I disagree with most justifications for abortion is entirely secondary simply because I don't see why anyone who wants to have an abortion should have to justify it to me in the first place. That said, I do get drawn into debates on it a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I always found it strange how few people actually take this option up as an alternative to having an abortion.
    Well obviously there are two main reasons

1 - The fear of regretting the separation/being unable to part with the baby (obviously there are some logic flaws in this line of thought but at the same time it makes a lot of sense)
    2 - Not wanting to go through pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    It's perfectly reasonable to choose not to look after an infant for example.
    It is?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    It is?
    Under certain circumstances, it certainly is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information