Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Farnham

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar

John Farnham

I mean come on Helen Clark.... Come on New Zealand. What is your problem??? This guy's a hero and would suit the ANZAC spirit and celebrations so well.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i agree i think it would be fantastic to have him perform
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    the very little respect i had for NZ was gone when i heard that, the country as a whole needs to pull its head in imo...

it's all about "2 strong hearts" of the nations beating together. however nz has dropped off this time... This is just "one link in a chain reaction". NZ are going down

You guys are joking me right?

Imagine - dawn service at Gallipoli, the scene of a terrible military loss that defined our two nations.

The crowd standing in silence on a chilly Turkey morning as the speakers give their speeches of rememberance before The Last Post is played.

MC Sophie Monk runs up and grabs the microphone.

"Is everyone having a good time? "Can I get a hell yeah?"

The crowd looks around, positively stunned.

Sophie continues,'' Now it's time to introduce everyone's favourite Anzac singer, the man who made cleaning ladies fashionable, John Farnham!!!"

Farnsy gets up and launches into a rendition of "Two Strong Hearts, we stick together like the honey and the bee".

Modern music has no place at a ceremony like this - I'd wager half the people who are suggesting Farnham should perform have never been to a dawn service.

And for the record, both Australia AND New Zealand felt he was inappropriate.

It emerged yesterday Australian Prime Minister John Howard also felt Farnham performing at Gallipoli would be "inappropriate".

It seems the average Aussie agrees. A poll on the Sydney Morning Herald's website last night was running four to one against the performance.

Farnham, best known for hits ranging from You're the Voice to Sadie (The Cleaning Lady) and a cover of Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head, was asked to perform before the Dawn Service at Anzac Cove by the Office of Australian War Graves.

An Australian Government spokesman said Miss Clark and Mr Howard discussed the concert at the Apec summit in Chile in November.

"Both agreed that it would be inappropriate to have a concert at Gallipoli given the solemnity of the occasion," the spokesman said.

The plug was pulled on Farnham's appearance in December, and Miss Clark and Mr Howard will thrash out details of what will replace it when they meet in Auckland this weekend.

Miss Clark said she had never heard of Farnham, but was opposed to his playing because of her "strong views about the sacred" nature of Gallipoli.

"Whatever is done there on Anzac Day must be in keeping with the spirit of the brave men who died."

She was supported by Returned and Services Association chief executive Pat Herbert.

"It's a cemetery, it's a remembrance observance, it's not a concert, and that's nothing against John Farnham or anyone else for that matter."
    So don't blame just New Zealand for ruining your, ahem, 'concert'.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3191342a10,00.html

Pinball Champion!
    "Stuff".co.nz??!

Brings back memories of the last half an hour of banter
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i dont think John would be performing any of his poppier songs. im quite sure he would be fully aware of what sort of performance would be required at such a service

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    "Stuff".co.nz??!

Easy, tiger - the newspaper I work for is part of that media group...

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    John Farnham's a great musician and a great artist. He would've added a fair bit to the celebrations. I'm not saying anymore than that really.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    "Stuff".co.nz??!

Although I admit it's a silly name for the site...

I see I've made your signature...

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    It'd be highly innappropriate to have a pop artist singing at such an event. It's not a celebration.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I personally think it's highly inappropriate to remember Gallipoli the way we do. Yes the men were brave, etc. but it really was an invasion of a sovereign country (Turkey) by an imperialist power (England) and we were just party to it. It wasn't our war at all and I think commemorating it is a personal insult to the Turks. Imagine if the Japanese insisted we commemorate the attack on Darwin because they lost so many soldiers! Okay, that attack was more successful for them but still...........
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

as if that would happen voltman... he's a highly versatile guy who would only add charm and solidarity to the event.

The reason we react like we do top_cat is because we can't comprehend what happened at Gallipoli. Everyone feels strong sadness, however sometimes people respond in times like this with celebrations to celbrate the work these guys did

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    I personally think it's highly inappropriate to remember Gallipoli the way we do. Yes the men were brave, etc. but it really was an invasion of a sovereign country (Turkey) by an imperialist power (England) and we were just party to it. It wasn't our war at all and I think commemorating it is a personal insult to the Turks. Imagine if the Japanese insisted we commemorate the attack on Darwin because they lost so many soldiers! Okay, that attack was more successful for them but still...........

I always had the impression the Turkish had a contrary view to the one you offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    as if that would happen voltman... he's a highly versatile guy who would only add charm and solidarity to the event.

The reason we react like we do top_cat is because we can't comprehend what happened at Gallipoli. Everyone feels strong sadness, however sometimes people respond in times like this with celebrations to celbrate the work these guys did
    Slats,

Are you going to edit your original message to include John Howard as well as Helen Clark?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information