Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries (Especially stupid ones)

Injuries (Especially stupid ones)

I was wondering how many of our fellow Cricketweb posters have had the unfortunate experience of suffering an injury, through sport or any other physical activity.

About 8-10 days ago, I woke up early in the morning and went downstairs to get some food. For some crazy reason, I decided I'm going to do a practice bowl 'Akhtar-style' with a run-up and all. Anyway, I almost ripped my shoulder out, hearing one of the largest cracks. You know that exaggerated cracking noise you hear in movies and cartoons when someone cracks their back or something? Well that's what I heard. It hurt at first, but I laughed it off, more amazed at what had happened.

After a couple of days, the shoulder started to heal and I decided to play a bit of backyard cricket (Hey, it's summer in Aus ). This was, well, not the smartest decision of my life as I re-hurt my shoulder. I decided to go visit my chiropractor, expecting him to crack my shoulder back in place, and that'll be that. Boy was I wrong.

I found out that I had torn a ligament in my shoulder, which is likely to take 6-12 months to heal. At the moment its a slight tear, but if it gets worse I may need surgery. SURGERY! Over a stupid practice bowl in the house at 7am in the morning

Anyway, after having such a nice summer holiday so far and getting my offer for uni, I'm pretty shattered that this has happened. Despite that though, I still manage to see the humour in the situation. It's probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.

So I'm asking if any of you guys have ever suffered any serious (or minor for that matter) injuries. And if so, have they occurred due to stupidity?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    That was stupid.

I've currently got a big bandage on my left ankle after stepping in a pothole carrying programmes at SJP on Wednesday night. I went to the Campus medical centre on Thursday and they said up to six weeks (!)

I bowled leg-breaks for an hour in nets this morning and it came through OK, and tomorrow morning I'm refereeing a charity game for the Tsunami appeal between Torquay Supporters' Club & ExeWeb.com.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    I wouldn't have done it any differently. Sorry to hear Jono, hope it doesn't turn out as badly as it could.

The Members Stand
    - the home of all cricket management games

MSN Messenger address: edblax @ gmail . com

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    I tore a forarm muscle when I tried to punch my brother and he dodged it.

Pinball Champion!
    Broken my left thumb about four times, although I don't know exactly because I haven't had it X-Rayed every time It has been hit..

The first time was playing table tennis and I dived for some reason to try and get the ball that had hit the corner of the table, went straight into the wall, my left hand being the first thing that hit

Second and third time were both cricket related. I was in the nets and had the ball creamed back at me, and resulted in me spending a month fielding and batting rather gingerly with a cast on. I could still bowl which ensured my selection.

Fourth? time was playing mess around rugby one night while camping. I went in for a tackle and some how came out with the most painful left thumb injury yet.. By now the doctor is saying I need it pinned, and I havent re broken it for 20 months now..

Other injuries include cracked nose when I went into a ruck, just as my team mate decided he would remove himself really quickly and headbutted me right in the nose.. That was the last time I played rugby seriously, which was a bit sad.

Tearing a muscle in my back must rank as one of the most painful.. I was 13 and my coach went absolutely ballistic as I was on the ground like I had been shot.. You could even hear it go as I ran in. It was Sid Lawrence like... Anyway I got the bollocking of a life time for some reason! I think my overs were badly needed and he made me field at slip... I was too gutted to file for child abuse

I went to punch this guy in the face a couple of years ago and he turned around before I made impact.. Hit him on the hard bit at the back of the skull and ended up with a nice crack in the side of my hand.. I told everyone I fell down the stairs badly or something
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The year before last I suffered a "boxer's fracture", which sounds cool but is actually cracking the knuckle of your little pinky finger.

In a fit of pique at missing the last train home (my mate Nick had been exchanging phone numbers & salivia with a nurse he'd pulled) I decided to punch the plactic screen of a parking meter (i was obviously bladdered). The parking meter's screen being somewhat smaller than my fist's span meant my knuckles connected sharply with metal at fair velocity.

In the AM it was very swollen, but, being a bloke, I hetero-ed it out til Thursday (meter punched on Sat night) befoe going to the docs.

Couldn't bowl for two months!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Debutant cricket player's Avatar
    Here is a story i have to tell you guys when i was little.
    I use to hang around with my friends those where my happiest moments.We use to burn stuff up with out letting our parents or relatives know.One day i decided to burn a plastic bag.So i put the bag on fire i picked the bag up then suddenly a chunck of the burning plastic disconnected from the bag it was burning as hell.It fall right in my leg hitting my index finger.I was crying as hell.It hurt so bad that i cried for 1 hour.My father was puddy disappointed and after that he did not let me hang out with my friends any more.

Pinball Champion!
    Ah, I know some guys who are a bit pyro as well.. Sometimes its like "Who needs girls when there is fire?".. We usually go down and set the main road on fire with a jerry can of petrol, a lighter and quick getaway bikes.. Other "activities" have included the detonation of speed cameras, although I plead not guilty to that kind of extreme (yet applaudable) vigilante stuff...

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    And you criticise chavs...

[Hingston]disgrace...[/H]

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    And you criticise chavs...

[Hingston]disgrace...[/H]
    So you are saying stuff like that is done just by chavs? I don't think that is very understanding Neil... Oi' could ave you daan for choild abyoose ennit

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    i broke my thumb once. really painful stuff. i was swimming in a race in the pool at my old house. i misjudged the finish and smashed my thumb on the end of the pool...
    Last edited by nibbs; 22-01-2005 at 07:04 PM.
    "Matt Damon"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    I was skate boarding in the big verandah we have when I was a kid. It was the first time I was on a skateboard and after about an hour I felt pretty confident.

So I put a plant at the middle and tried to jump over it with the skate board. Landed on my left arm with full body pressure on it, broke a few bones.

Any way, I have enjoyed roller skates and skate boarding except that incident.

As for you Jono, injuries happen so dont worry about it. Take the time to watch some really cool flicks. I would suggest Once Upon a time in America (which I will see soon and expect it to be awesome) and Rashomon for starters..

I have a gash on my left heel from when I went ice skating earlier in the month and got ice skates that were too tight and didn't complain and the left one removed plenty of skin.

I went to the doctor last week for an injury I sustained while drunk on new Years eve - strained ligaments so nothing bad really.

My mate has possibly the worst ''sporting'' injury you could imagine.

He was out pig hunting and was chasing this pig down a bank when he slipped, and landed on a firm twig/stick that was sticking out of the ground. The stick lodged itself 3cm inside my friend's .... ummmmm.... the bag that holds a man's "boys" if you get my drift.

He said there was blood everywhere, but the worst thing was having to get his Mum to wash him - at the age of 22...

The photos were even more gruesome.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    I feel sick.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information