Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pommie Euphemism Dictionary

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar

The Pommie Euphemism Dictionary

The English language is home to many intricate and esoteric euphemisms over in the motherland. Unfortunately for those of us in developed penal colonies or just generally on the outer, the effects of these terrific supplements to our language are lost, and I feel we are missing out. From 'crumpet' to 'chav', and the more widely understood 'bird', I think it's time that our friends over in the UK (would I be wrong in assuming these words are more prevalent in the north?) unveiled the meanings behind these little words. This will become the dictionary, so any word you Poms can think of that we might not know, put it in here! Please!!

I think I'm targeting people like BoyBrumby and Langeveldt here...
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Ill start with Chav

chav (noun)- 1. Anyone wearing any kind of burberry clothing 2. A youth usually, although not neccessarily in his or her teens who has an undying belief that they are the hardest and coolest individual to have ever walked this planet. The male chav is distinguishable by his birght colours and imitaion gold jewellry which he uses to attract chavettes (see next). Any eye contact will be met with a tirade of abuse assuming the chav is with his herd. 3. Chavette: A female chav who is distinguishable by the use of earings resting on her shoulders, very innapropriate clothing, and a pram. Chavettes are very rarely seen on their own and prefer to hang around with the dominant chav in their herd, usually the father of their child. 4. Chavish: the dialect of the chav. Believing that he is a bad boy gangsta rapper, the chav or chavette will converse with others in a secrect language. Scientists have been working for years on trying to decipher chavish but to no avail. Other than swear words that you will manage to pick out, you will not understand any of this tirade; simply assume its not pleasant and probably involves your parents and a dog.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Banned
    For a greater appreciation of the term "chav" visit http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
    Funny stuff

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    And a pram!! Gold

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I'm trying to think of arcane Fen and/or English slang I've used that may be confusing to non-UK (& maybe non-Fen) readers. Ones I can think of:

Septic: American. Rhyming slang for "septic tank" (yank)
    Ginger: Gay or homosexual. Again rhyming slang, "ginger beer", er, queer. Not too PC that one, I'm afraid!
    Crim: Our beloved Australian brethren. From the British practice of transporting criminals to the antipodes.
    Shipman: Someone who is attracted to older women (Hi Voltman! ). Derived from notorious Dr Harold Shipman who killed over 200 elderly women. A "Shipman" therefore "F***s old ladies"!
    Sleep inducer: Male masturbation. From blokes allegedly falling asleep after shooting their load.
    Choice: Horrible, bad or foul. Ironic usage, as in just about the last thing you'd choose.

If anyone can think of any more I've used I'll be happy to further broaden your education!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'm trying to think of arcane Fen and/or English slang I've used that may be confusing to non-UK (& maybe non-Fen) readers. Ones I can think of:

Septic: American. Rhyming slang for "septic tank" (yank)
    Ginger: Gay or homosexual. Again rhyming slang, "ginger beer", er, queer. Not too PC that one, I'm afraid!
    Crim: Our beloved Australian brethren. From the British practice of transporting criminals to the antipodes.
    Shipman: Someone who is attracted to older women (Hi Voltman! ). Derived from notorious Dr Harold Shipman who killed over 200 elderly women. A "Shipman" therefore "F***s old ladies"!
    Sleep inducer: Male masturbation. From blokes allegedly falling asleep after shooting their load.
    Choice: Horrible, bad or foul. Ironic usage, as in just about the last thing you'd choose.

If anyone can think of any more I've used I'll be happy to further broaden your education!
    Are you thinking cockney rhyming slang? If so there is absolutely loads me ol' china.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    Are you thinking cockney rhyming slang? If so there is absolutely loads me ol' china.
    Come on up the apples an' pears & get around the ol' joanna before the trouble gets in a right ol' two an' eight an' I have ter put her on her aris!

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    I was wondering how long it would take until the thread became an exercise in rhyming slang

The Members Stand
    - the home of all cricket management games

MSN Messenger address: edblax @ gmail . com

Quote Originally Posted by membersstand
    I was wondering how long it would take until the thread became an exercise in rhyming slang
    A lot of Oz slang has caught on over here too (I blame Neighbours & Home and Away!); "Chunder", "Uni", "Avo" & "Shaking hands with the unemployed" are in fairly common usage now.

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    And we've adopted cheers off the Bill..

Quote Originally Posted by membersstand
    Makes a bloody convincing argument!!! Check this out.

The term '********' is one of the funniest and greatest ever spoken.

Edit: Wow I didn't realise it was censored. My apologies.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Pinball Champion!
    Chav is basically a poor individual from the UK, the majority of whom live a fairly basic life off the government's coffers, live in a home provided by the authorities, many of whom have little intention of getting a job because they have a lack of qualifications, stemming from not listening in school.. They are generally abusive towards others with a very distinct yet foul mouthed vocabulary.. They spit everywhere and wear distinctive clothes, usually tracksuit bottoms and football shirts and have skinhead haircuts..

At a realistic estimate, I would say it covers about 25% of the UK population by now... There is nothing funny about the epidemic, because it is so chronic it is no longer a joke...

Crumpet, Bird = Agreeable specimen of the female type
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    The term '********' is one of the funniest and greatest ever spoken.

Edit: Wow I didn't realise it was censored. My apologies.
    Give us a clue then! Did it start with an "f" a "w" or a "c"?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Chav is basically a poor individual from the UK, the majority of whom live a fairly basic life off the government's coffers, live in a home provided by the authorities, many of whom have little intention of getting a job because they have a lack of qualifications, stemming from not listening in school.. They are generally abusive towards others with a very distinct yet foul mouthed vocabulary.. They spit everywhere and wear distinctive clothes, usually tracksuit bottoms and football shirts and have skinhead haircuts..

At a realistic estimate, I would say it covers about 25% of the UK population by now... There is nothing funny about the epidemic, because it is so chronic it is no longer a joke...

Crumpet, Bird = Agreeable specimen of the female type
    Stop making sweeps langers! I know plenty of people who can fit into this group going by haircuts and dress sense and they are very likeable and decent people. Attitudes like these aren't very beneficial and a result in superiority complexes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information