Thread: An invitation for debate

International Debutant

An invitation for debate

it appears that i have got myself embroiled in some interesting exchanges on other threads.

I am quite willing to continue our debate, subject to the approval & determination of the site administrators whose decisions must remain final and binding regarding the relative merits of this post and my offer.

so as not to disrupt the rest of the forum I suggest anyone wishing to take me up on any of the issues do so here.

please note that I make reference to debate - i.e. an exchange of ideas, views, information etc with the intent of positive dialogue. Defamitory rhetoric will be henceforth be treated with the contempt it deserves - so put up or shut up!!!!

regards,

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    Mate i take the challenge im up for Debate

The Topic : Indian Cricket team

i Support that they winning the tri series doesnt make them the world champions etc and u can oppose that , unless you have the same views as i do ?
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

International Debutant
    sorry m'lord but we agree on that one.

i was actually making the invitation regarding the so called political debate i have inadvertantly stirred on a couple of other threads - i think you and james picked up on them re another post re politics on the site.

some members have taken exception to my comments and i invite them to continue our discussions here (subject to site admin ok), as opposed to creating any further disruption to matters purely cricket.

cheers

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    okay then have the political debate you start and i shall see if i have to oppose that , im sure the other members will follow through

International Debutant
    take your pick

just take a look at my comments on the other threads - the ones regarding bowling attack variety & Pakistan playing India at the ICC or WC.

this is what seems to have them up in arms!!!!

cheers

Did you say Debate?

I'm all for it buddy, but :I Duh huh what's the topic?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box

Gosh....Anzac buddy you seem to have pissed more ppl than you want to see (I just read the other posts )

International Debutant
    see my last post

i just didn't want to get involved in any further protracted exchanges on other threads & disrupt the discussions for those not interested.

By the same token i wanted to be able to defend / clarify / explain any of my posts that seem to have stirred the reactions!!!

that way any slagging that goes on does not intrude on matters purely cricket.

International Debutant
    yeah it appears that way

however as i said - i'm still waiting for their brilliant arguement of wit & logic!!!

:cheesy:

Well reference my original post in "should play at icc or WC" this is what i wanted you to understand..........very very unfortunate but a lot of times (too many for my liking) whenever i have tried to debate (in the truest spirit of the word) i have had to face up with the same adversity you had to. I just dont have the nerve to go against blind reasoning......probably bcoz you cant knock sense into anyones head.
    Ref. Dale Carnegie "You can never win an argument" (specially in these situations and against such intellect!!)

[Edited on 8/11/02 by Gotchya]

International Debutant
    heya Gotcha

unfortunately for the section from the terraces i for one am prepared to persue the matter - in theory it should make for stimulating debate and sorts the men out from the boys

i admire heartfelt support or ideology, but only when it is backed up by credible theory - otherwise it becomes a predictable rant which makes it painfully obvious why things have got so far out of hand in the first place. sort of like the pot calling the kettle black if you follow my drift.

when a subject stirs such passionate response i would have thought someone should have been able to put aside their rhetoric and provide us with some intellectual insight!!!!

as i said earlier - i'm still waiting....

from what i have seen so far it has hardly been any sort of intellectual challenge in the broadest sence of the word, as what we have seen in response has not shown any signs of intelligent life.

there is a difference between being an avid supporter (of any cause - not just sport)& being a fan. for the uninitiated the term 'fan' is derived from 'fanatic' - and we have seen proof positive of this!!!!

"where gonna find out where you fans really stand"
    Pink - The Wall

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    What is it that you wanna debate on ? Is India's decision not to play Pak other then in international tournaments, right or wrong ? Is that what you wanna debate on... I would quote what I said in another thread started by you and let's get cracking from there.How about that ?

Indian and Pakistani people are crazy about cricket but cricket is a sport and is a pastime to be engaged in good times, and not something that transcends life and death issues.

In the case of India and Pak, there are body bags of soldiers and civilians alike, being transported to their next of kin by the droves every single day because of conflict between the two countries.In that situation out of respect for the people who die and their kith and kin, atleast we shouldn't amuse ourselves by enacting some kind of farce at a cricket field.
    Mind you, I didn't go into a discussion on the merits of the political case of either parties, which should not be done in a cricket forum like this.And as you seem to be quite confident in your ability to skim "intellectual insight" from trash, I suppose you'd label all that I have said to be mindless rhetoric anyway.

[Edited on 8/11/02 by aussie_beater]
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    Western Australia should suceed from the rest of Australia.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Paid, it's "seccede" not "succed"
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I'm sure that the rest of Australia would be only too willing to help them on their way.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Thread Information