Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Well here's your chance, bys and girls. All science questions which you always wanted to know but were too afraid to ask. We've got a few white-coat heroes here so I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some decent between us. Ever wanted to know why the sky is blue or what the hell genetic modification REALLY is?

COME ONE COME ALL!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Cricketer
    fine you asked for it...

You are humans not able to lick their elbows...

"We've been doubling sales every 18 months. However, when you start from zero, it takes a long while." -- Stephen Yeo, a marketing director at Windows-terminal manufacturer Wyse, explaining his company's less-than-meteoric rise, to ZDNet UK

Because if we were able to tickle our funny bone with our tongue, we'd have people walking around laughing all day. God said, "Nope, can't have that!" and made it impossible.

If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the frying pan?
    -----------------My Signature-----------------

They stick teflon on frying pans with the same stuff that sticks the 'smart arse' sign to your head.

Next stupid question..............

[Edited on 8/6/02 by Top_Cat]

[Edited on 8/6/02 by Top_Cat]

I have always been interested in the big bang. What actually can cause the explosion from nothing?? And at the point of singularity why do the laws of physics break down?

[Edited on 8/6/02 by anthonysw]

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    Well, they are very good questions but the most important one is...

What is the meaning of life?

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar

State 12th Man
    Singularity means zero volume but finite density (alomst infinite I guess), which doesnt reconcile with scientific laws.

Another question would be guys who dont believe in big bang, are they the ones who also dont believe in God? And if you believe in Big Bang does that mean u also believe in God?

Very interesting Roy.

Do blind see in dreams?

Why is the morning sun red?

Why is the sky blue?
    Yaju
    Self Proclaimed World's Greatest 12th Man.

I like wasting homo sapiens' time - like the way I wasted yours just now.

Quote Originally Posted by 5N1p3R j0C|<
    Why are you wasting time your reading others' quotes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DD
    <quack>

how do scientists know that protein synthesis happens by the unzipping of dna, followed by the mRNA transcribing the information and the tRNA translating it and it being turned into amino acids in ribosomes in our cells.
    my theory is that we have little protein fairies in our bodies, and when we eat food with protein in it they grab they process it so we can use it. much more beleivable :P
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    OK. Let's try to answer some of the sensible ones.

How does TEFLON stick to the pan?
    It's a patented trade secret, and if I let you lot know, DuPont would have my a** in a sling. Seriously, it's a question which has been asked many times on the internet, and one which has generated some interesting answers. Check out the following link :

http://www.psrc.usm.edu/macrog/ptfeidea.htm

What can cause an explosion from nothing?
    You can't generate an explosion from nothing. You have to appreciate that a vacuum is not empty, and that before the Big Bang, the primordial state was not in fact 'nothing' but 'something' (possibly a lattice of dimensions or fields, undergoing 'quantum fluctuations'). We don't know, because we have not been able to produce a mathematical model which 'fits' closely enough.

and the linked question :

...why do the laws of physics break down?
    They don't. It is our APPRECIATION of the laws of physics as we currently understand them which no longer fit. Again, we don't know enough. Our understanding of the physical laws of the universe are constantly being revised. Now when we understand more, you (on CricketWeb) will be the first to be told.

Why is the sky blue?
    Easypeasy. It's all down to the scattering of light. Photons normally travel in straight lines, but when one hits a nitrogen molecule or another particle in the Earth's atmosphere, it undergoes a 'scattering' process, i.e. some of it's energy bounces off in a different direction. The actual direction is determined by the actual wavelength of the light, the size of the particle it hits and so on. For the makeup of our atmosphere, this effect is greatest in the shorter (blue end of the spectrum) wavelengths, and that's why the sky appears to be blue.

...and the sun red at sunrise and sunset?
    Now in the early morning and late evening, the sun appears closer to the horizon. This means that in order for light to reach you from the sun, it has to pass through far more atmosphere. This gives plenty of opportunity for blue light and the other shorter wavelengths to be refracted away, leaving just the longer (redder) wavelengths to impact on your retina.

Incidentally, it is possible to get a partial 'green sunset'.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Just copied this from the 'who is responsible for Global Warming?' thread.

Questions posed by Roy.

LE,

Im no physicist so I warn you, some of my querries would be a bit unfiriariting for you

Anyways...

-The explanation of the formation of Nova you gave, kind of got me confused a bit. I thought the formation of Black hole was like that i.e. hydrogen fusion resulting in explosions and this pressure keeping the massive gravity of a star in check, but eventually it all turns into helium and there is no pressure to offset the gravity and the star collapses onto itself. If the star is big enough the gravity close to the surface is so great that even light cannot escape, hence a black hole. Now Im confused between a black hole and a nova.

-Whats the difference between a nova and a super nova?

-You seem to explain things for a layperson like myself, so how would you explain the uncertainity principle, and if you could also explain the 'probability of the cat in a box' experiemnt (Schrodinger's I think)?

-Some really basic explanation of the suprestring theory would be great
    I'll get back to them.

What is the difference between a Nova and a Supernova?
    A Nova is a star (usually a white dwarf) which suddenly increases in brightness by hundreds or thousands of times for a short while, before returning to its original brightness. Novas are found in binary star systems, and it is thought that the 'flaring' is caused by the white dwarf ripping material out of its 'normal' neighbour. This material (hydrogen) undergoes nuclear fusion within the intense gravitational field on the surface of the white dwarf, and it is the resultant radiation which we see.

A Supernova, on the other hand, is thought to be death throes of a massive dying star as it undergoes gravitational collapse. The theory is as follows : hydrogen fuses to form helium. When the hydrogen runs out, the helium fuses to form carbon. This in turn fuses to form oxygen, this fuses etc etc etc.
    Each time the fusion process takes place, immense quantities of energy are released which tends to hold the star's substance in balance against gravity until, that is, iron is formed. Now in order to form iron in a nuclear fusion process, energy has to be supplied to the system. This energy is the heat of the core of the star.
    Without the heat energy, there is nothing to stop the star collapsing in on itself. When this happens, a flood of neutrinos are released in a great explosion which blows the surface of the star into space. It is this blinding flash of material from the surface which we refer to as a supernova.

Black holes?
    The material blown from the surface of a dying giant star remains visible for thousands or even millions of years. In many cases, nebulae are the remnants of supernovae.
    The superdense material which remains after a supernova explosion is a 'Neutron star'. If it is dense enough to undergo still further gravitational collapse, then even light will not be able to escape from it. If it reaches this stage, it is then known as a Black Hole.

Hope this answers your first question, Roy. I'm goind for a bit of a lie down before I wrap my three remaining brain cells around the wonders which are Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information