Page 99 of 138 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2068
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The important thing you have to remember always is that the big bang was not an explosion of matter in space. It was an explosion of space itself. When we say the universe is expanding, it means literally the 'space' itself is expanding. So when the dimensions of the universe were miniscule (e.g length of the entire universe was less than 1x10^-35meters), all sorts of weird things happened which our current physics cannot explain.
    Similarly the start of time too? It's equally senseless to ask what existed "before" big bang. Something that people ask to claim God existed before big bang. Interesting thing about that is that it presupposes time as something even more primary and fundamental than the God itself.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well time is sort of weird - by relativity, time slows down in areas of higher density - this is a well proven phenomena that we can see experimentally. Taking the density to its extreme you'd get to a point of infinite density and therefore infinite time. However it's doubtful that such a place actually physically exists - so the answer is, we have no idea what happens when things are that dense.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Well time is sort of weird - by relativity, time slows down in areas of higher density - this is a well proven phenomena that we can see experimentally. Taking the density to its extreme you'd get to a point of infinite density and therefore infinite time. However it's doubtful that such a place actually physically exists - so the answer is, we have no idea what happens when things are that dense.
    Singularity of galactic black holes?
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    Singularity of galactic black holes?
    Yea, it's doubtful that such a place physically exists (e.g that you literally get to a 'point' where you're dividing mass by a volume of zero). It's an example of how our current physics breaks down - because our physics tells us you reach a point where you're dividing by zero, which is not likely to be true in reality. We need better theories.

Hm, something that really gets me is that if a single law of physics, no, of science didn't exist, nothing would exist. That is what really makes me believe in God.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 5 years and counting!

Which law?

Which law?
    Any single law, we need every law in the universe, otherwise this universe wouldn't exist. For this to happen purely by chance isn't possible, no?

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Any single law, we need every law in the universe, otherwise this universe wouldn't exist. For this to happen purely by chance isn't possible, no?
    Here we go...
    Exit pursuing a beer

I don't really understand the statement. I don't know a single law without which you can't have a universe.

Changing of a particular law might change the nature of the universe but that's definitional (eg assuming we are defining the universe by the laws with which it's governed).

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Here we go...
    Not gonna have that debate again. Just trying to understand what he means.

Not gonna have that debate again. Just trying to understand what he means.
    Fair enough.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Watching Wonders of the Universe yesterday got me thinking.

Assuming you could travel at an infinite speed, and catch up to the edge of the expanding universe, would you crash into a wall or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

Assuming you could travel at an infinite speed, and catch up to the edge of the expanding universe, would you crash into a wall or what?
    A sign would tell you to turn around.

No. Or at least if there is such an edge, we don't know anything about it, even theoretically.

In 2-d space, think (flat) ant on an inflating balloon. The use of the word "infinite" opens a can of worms.

Thread Information