Page 71 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2068
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The gravitational effect of the moon on Earth is trivial to calculate and is pretty small. Any high schooler should be able to do it and see how ridiculous that theory is.

Inverse square law ftw.
    Pretty much. If his theory held any weight, without doing the maths I suspect random stuff on the surface would fly into the upper atmosphere quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Cannot wait for this, looks fascinating. SS thoughts?

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2010-2011, Are We Still Evolving?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think they probably use the word 'evolving' pretty loosely. If it simply means 'Is our genetic composition changing as a species?' The answer is probably but it's not an issue that can be answered given the long periods required for changes in populations to be identified, and considering the changes in life expectancy, lifestyle and other constraints from just 100 years ago when there were no antibiotics for example (and 100 years being a meaningless amount of time in an evolutionary sense), what then held true in terms of evolutionarily guided direction, simply does not hold true now, further making it impossible (not merely improbable) to speculate on any future direction.

And anyway, without the same restraints (and connection) on and between survivability and breeding as we would have as roving bands of isolated small population groups, I don't think the term in the traditional sense applies.

I'd be interested in what it says though. I guess it'll be thin on science, high on speculation (plenty of those on the discovery channel here in the US). But I'd like to have a look or hear about it.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-02-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Cool find Andy!
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    wheres the maths thread gone?

link, anyone?

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    wheres the maths thread gone?

link, anyone?
    Do a search, we need it back on the first page.

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think they probably use the word 'evolving' pretty loosely. If it simply means 'Is our genetic composition changing as a species?' The answer is probably but it's not an issue that can be answered given the long periods required for changes in populations to be identified, and considering the changes in life expectancy, lifestyle and other constraints from just 100 years ago when there were no antibiotics for example (and 100 years being a meaningless amount of time in an evolutionary sense), what then held true in terms of evolutionarily guided direction, simply does not hold true now, further making it impossible (not merely improbable) to speculate on any future direction.

And anyway, without the same restraints (and connection) on and between survivability and breeding as we would have as roving bands of isolated small population groups, I don't think the term in the traditional sense applies.

I'd be interested in what it says though. I guess it'll be thin on science, high on speculation (plenty of those on the discovery channel here in the US). But I'd like to have a look or hear about it.
    Was pretty much what I expected. Raised some interesting points and questions, but the science was very basic for anyone who has studied the subject.

When people say 'evolution takes millions of years', are they strictly referring to stabilising selection? Surely some forms of directional selection can take place and change the frequency of alleles in a pretty big way in a much shorter period of time than that?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Was pretty much what I expected. Raised some interesting points and questions, but the science was very basic for anyone who has studied the subject.

When people say 'evolution takes millions of years', are they strictly referring to stabilising selection? Surely some forms of directional selection can take place and change the frequency of alleles in a pretty big way in a much shorter period of time than that?
    Well it depends on the context. Evolution takes a single generation really, all it takes is one mutation. What people generally refer to when they say things like that is speciation, so that one species can no longer mate with its siblings. That can sometimes take millions of years, but doesn't have to. It depends on several factors like genetic drift, the population size, the 'severity' of the selection pressures and the differences in the environment between the two populations.

Curveball Champion!
    How exactly does catalase catalyse the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide? I know all about the lock & key model of enzyme action and all that, but can anyone tell me in terms of electrons and bond breaking/making how it actually lowers the activation enthalpy for the reaction? Thanks.

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    Catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide in two steps. A hydrogen peroxide molecule is broken apart, with an iron ion in the catalase latching onto an oxygen molecule. The rest of the hydrogen peroxide molecule (H2O2) is set free as water (H2O). Then another hydrogen peroxide molecule is broken apart, with the same iron ion breaking off an oxygen atom, to be combined with the first detached oxygen atom, to be released as oxygen gas (O2).

Curveball Champion!
    Thanks a lot mate, you can now be entered as a reference in my chemistry investigation, how's that for kudos!

1. dude on an internet forum, alias blahblahblah

I'd love to get a report with that citation. I'd frame it. And congratulate the student for having the balls. And then I'd fail him out of school.

Curveball Champion!
    They really don't give a **** about where the reference came from, as long as you have one. Pretty sure they don't even check them.

Haha really?

I do . Some dude said so would usually not result in a very good outcome for my student. But you're in high school, so I suppose they overlook a lot more.

Thread Information