Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 138 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

I think this thread needs to be brought down a few notches :P

If some people have equal levels of hygiene why would a few have worse foot odours than others?

[Edited on 26/9/2002 by anthonysw]
    -----------------My Signature-----------------

I read something in the new scientist about men becoming extinct and being replaced by hermaphrodites
    what do you guys know about this
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    It is certainly irrefutable that sperm counts are falling in certain areas - this could be due to environmental factors, diet, pollution (including radiation) or, er, something else.

Who knows what direction evolution will take? Many years ago, MAD magazine ran a cartoon extrapolating the use of transistor radios from a Darwinist perspective.

The first evolutionary change was the growth of a third 'hand' to hold the tranny against the head, thus freeing up the original 'holding arm' for putting relish on hamburgers and the like.
    The second development was the enlargement of the ear to facilitate the 'catching of them sounds, daddyoh' and so it continued until the ear completely enclosed the radio.

Utter nonsense, obviously, but not for the reasons you may imagine.

Because we live in a technological age it is arguable that Darwinism just goes out of the window. We are able to manipulate our environment to suit our body, rather than the body having to mutate somewhat in order to take advantage of the environment. In other words, we may have already evolved beyond the necessity for evolution.

Maybe 'nature' will recognise that mankind has already reached a dead-end and put an end to the 'two legs, two arms' experiment? A race of hermaphrodites? That'd do it. Self-impregnation would certainly put an end to the diversity of the gene pool. Aaaaagh! We'd have a whole bunch of George Bushes and Donald Rumsfelds.

Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

No, no, nothing like that. The problem is that the Y chromosome is slowly letting go of the genes. It used to control erm... 1400 genes or something, now it only controls 42 or something like that. The X chromosome still controls the same as ever- 1400 (or something). So, when the Y lets go of that last gene there will be no men. But never fear, hermaphrodites are replacing men so in the future there will be women and hermaphrodites.
    So there you have it, the Y chromosome has a defect, and is slowly but surely munting itself...:P

If some people have equal levels of hygiene why would a few have worse food odours than others?
    If you really mean 'food odours', then you would probably have to ask a cannibal. However, if you mean 'body odours', there are many reasons.

Body odours are primarily caused by sweat. If the sweat emanates from a part of the body where evaporation is restricted, such as the armpits or, er, other recesses, then bacteria will have a lot longer to do their 'stuff' before the perspiration evaporates.

There are medical conditions, of course, such as bacterialogical infections, abscesses causing discharge and the like; similarly diet can have an effect (breath odours can mix with other body odours forming some particularly noxious niffs).

In addition, body odours can reside quite happily in clothing (again, if sweat has been absorbed).

What to do about it?

1. Bathe daily
    2. Don't eat anything interesting
    3. Abolish 7-day underwear.

But never fear, hermaphrodites are replacing men so in the future there will be women and hermaphrodites.
    But wouldn't the hermaphrodites be sterile?

Opps I meant foot odours :rolleyes:

Umm... I dunno. Well... I need to read over the article again. Scientifically something will happen and everything will be hunky-dory. ah well who cares... won't happen for ages (millions of years).
    But the Y is defect and inbred i guess. It is not adapting with the X chromosome, so it is on the cards that it changes and is no longer compatible with X, therefore rendering men infertile. And some already are...

About ducks.
    how much do they reproduce?

Originally posted by Sunil Havascar
    About ducks.
    how much do they reproduce?
    Ducks breed anually, usually producing a single clutch of eggs in May or June in the northern hemisphere (presumably November or December in the south).

Although numbers vary between species, the average number of eggs in a clutch tends to be approximately 10.

Infant mortality, predation and hunting take their toll, so for many breeds numbers remain relatively stable over the years.

This is a good job, since if ducks always reached breeding age yet only bred once, we would be in serious trouble.

Consider the following :

The average weight of a Mallard duck is 1.5 kilograms

Each pair can produce 10 ducks per year (5 further breeding pairs)

Weight of the Earth = 5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms

Weight of the Earth = 3,981,333,333,333,333,333,333 ducks

If Mallard ducks continue to breed at their current rate unchecked, within 31 years they will collectively weigh more than the Earth, even if each adult died after successfully raising their brood.

Have the governments made contingency plans?

I think we should be told.

<quack heh heh heh the master plan revealed>

[Edited on 7/10/2002 by luckyeddie]

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I have a one-word contingency plan.

Kalashnikov.

Then we can solve Third World Hunger.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar

New Question

Here is question:

In my car it has a rear-view mirror, it has a switch at the base which can be moved forward and back.

Normally you see through the back window, right. Well when you switch the mirror to the second mode then you can see out the back, but not through the window! It is used, I think, to block out high beam headlights from behind you which normally blind you.

How does it work? I can see behind me but not through the window...

Hmmmm.... :ticking:

I think you are seeing through the rear window, but what you have is a crude anti-dazzle rear-view mirror.

There are two types, I believe, and it's fairly difficult to discover how the dickens they work (trade secrets and the like). My educated guesses are as follows :

1. A crude, mechanical method.
    The mirror would not be a typical, planar mirror but a prismatic or lenticular type. It looks flat but is in fact a flat glass surface over a silvered corrugated surface (like a load of ridges all parallel to each other).
    If you look at the mirror from one angle, you see a clear reflected image. If you change the angle by a few degrees, you see the same image but less intense or 'darker' because the alignment of the ridges is in such a way to reflect or refract some of the light away from you (probably total internal reflection or the like). A similar effect can be seen with some childrens toys or 'plastic' pictures where if you rotate it slightly the image changes.

2. The 'clever' method
    Produce a mirror which contains a 'polar' liquid. Look at it normally and all the light from the object is reflected. Pass an electric current through it and the liquid inside the mirror 'darkens', therefore preventing all of the light from the object from being reflected.
    Now get really clever - choose an electrolyte where the more current is passed, the darker the electrolyte becomes. This allows you to link the mirror to a photo-electric cell situated in the mirror itself. The whole thing can then be self-adjusting.

Regarding your type, if you have a two-position mechanical switch, my guess is that it would be the first type and all that happens is the mirror rotates a few degrees. If it is an electrical switch, then you have a first-generation 'clever' one.

Have a good look at the mirror from different angles (raise or lower your eyes relative to the mirror by a few inches). If you can 'see' a reduced-intensity image through the rear window after moving by a few degrees, then you've definitely got a 'type 1'.

I had one of the crude types myself on my previous car (a Seat Cordoba) and it intrigued me until I had a good nosey.

Sorry I can't be too specific - these are just educated guesses. I would be interested if anyone else has anything to add.

Thanks.

I beilieve I have the first one!

Next QUESTION:

Why did the chicken cross the road?
    I want an actual answer and not the ending to the joke

I know it but I'd like to be confirmed right.

Page 7 of 138 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information