Page 61 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    If atoms are annihilated on contact with each other, surely there would be no collisions?
    That's the collision.....

They aren't annihilated on contact with each other, the anti particles are annihilated on contact with normal particles (e.g, proton and anti proton collide, not proton and proton or anti proton and anti proton).

And even if there was any sort of collision that could be traced, and if they had never isolated an antimatter atom before, how would they know what the trace would look like?
    They've isolated them before...this is just isolating them for longer. And you could tell even if you hadn't seen them before because they'd produce very unique traces (being made up of antiproton), traces that could only come from particles like anti-protons. And of course, the obvious reason that it wouldn't annihilate on impact if it wasn't an anti-particle......
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That's the collision.....
    Can you see the collision itself? I assumed that all one could see was the after-effects of the collision - and my assumption was that there would be none, just an annihilation

They aren't annihilated on contact with each other, the anti particles are annihilated on contact with normal particles (e.g, proton and anti proton collide, not proton and proton or anti proton and anti proton).
    The way it was reported was that they had isolated one anti-matter atom and so I was imagining a collision between particle and ant-particle

I fear that I'm not going to understand this. I just read a book by Brian Cox and some colleague of his from Manchester Uni and struggled a bit with it ITTBT

Can you see the collision itself? I assumed that all one could see was the after-effects of the collision - and my assumption was that there would be none, just an annihilation
    Well, atoms are pretty small so if you mean see a little flash with your eyes - the answer is no.

Annihilation means just that - conversion into pure energy.

Basically, here is the way these experiments usually work (going on memory here):

You create a magnetic storage device - one that's oriented in a way to keep only anti particles suspended. Meaning, if you manage to store something, it has to be an anti particle..

Then you shut the magnet off. If you have something that's suspended...it's not suspended anymore and it'll shoot off towards the walls of the side of the container that contains normal matter (second check, if doesn't, it wasn't an anti particle).

Third, you look at the resultant conversion of energy from the annihilation (when particles and anti particles are annihilated, the collision is 'pure', e.g, it's converted into pure energy). You look at the amount and the various traces from that signature and you can figure out what it was exactly.

In the end, you can be extremely sure in terms of figure out what you did and did not have.

Many thanks for that, SS, a nice and clear explanation.

With all those answers the questions are multiplying but I'll leave it there I think!

Happy to answer any that I can .

Why do galaxies appear bright and white from a distance given the overwhelming and unimaginable amount of blackness between the almost infinitely remote stars?

Why are there two tides per day?

Why, immediately after sunset, does the lit face of the moon appear to face towards a point that is well above the horizon?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Why do galaxies appear bright and white from a distance given the overwhelming and unimaginable amount of blackness between the almost infinitely remote stars?
    Well because they shine with the intensity of a hundred billion suns . I am not sure I quite understand the question though.

Why are there two tides per day?
    Gravitational pull of the moon.

Let's say the Sun-Earth-Moon system is oriented in the following way (distance obviously not to scale):

The moon will pull the water on Earth that's closest to it towards it, resulting in a high tide. However, there will also be a high tide on the opposite end of the earth because comparatively, it experiences a much less of a tidal pull. It's a little more complicated with the Sun obviously playing a big factor, as well as centrifugal effects, but that's the gist.

Why, immediately after sunset, does the lit face of the moon appear to face towards a point that is well above the horizon?
    Well the moon reflects light from the Sun...the moon doesn't orbit in the same plane, it's like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
    Ask a psychologist to create a retrospective study and make up a conclusion.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    What the **** is a study?

It's when you come up with a conclusion and then ask people personality questions to support that conclusion.

Well the moon reflects light from the Sun...the moon doesn't orbit in the same plane, it's like this:

But the moon's lit face should always point towards the sun, from wherever you observe the moon. The path or plane of its orbit is irrelevant.

Thread Information