Page 55 of 138 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Space Tornado -- Physicists Spot Interstellar Shock Wave Using Spitzer Telescope

Drool.

Anyway, a question for those who know more about careers than me (career uni bums gtfo).

I'm tossing up between the Earth Science and Geography (physical) majors for my BSc. These courses overlap so much you'd think it wouldn't matter but there are differences and due to pissy rules I'm not allowed to double major in both, which is infuriating.

Now yes I know physical geography is light geology blah blah but it also encompasses a lot more of the environment above the ground, which I'm very interested in, along with the underground stuff. Looking through paper options the Earth Science degree focuses on the lithosphere and athsenoeoeoeoephere (try saying that without a lisp). Earth Science also has this unhealthy obsession with soil sciences, which are boring and stupid and need to go die in a fire. I really don't like parts of this amalgamation of geology fields and other random things under one degree. Too much agricultural science crossover for my liking.

I'm leaning towards geography because I love landforms (especially volcanoes, caves and glaciers) and finding out what they're made of, how they got there, etc. I'm also fascinated by historical environments. In fact I'm probably one of the few humans rooting for another Ice Age in our lifetime (even though it's impossible) .

Earth Science, apart from stupid dirt, seems to focus too heavily on what's underground for my liking.

Anyway, thoughts on what degree would be best? I know this counts out volcanology as a career, but glaciers are still open and if there is a field in studying landforms on other planets, I'm in (with a trail of big letters next to my name if I want a chance). But studying volcanoes would be cool.

In short, geography involves the surface with bits of underground and bits of sky, and earth science involves underground with bits of surface, and I can't choooooose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Why not just do physics?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Why not just do physics?
    Cause it's for **** ****s.

And I possibly aren't anywhere good enough to do it.

Don't underestimate yourself. Do they have an option for Astronomy major? I mean it does seem your interest lies there. Don't let a bit of math scare you away from something you truly enjoy. A bit of hard work and you can be caught up fairly quickly.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 16-09-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Nah, astronomy was just one paper, and I found out it's at Auckz.

Geo is what I want to do, just not sure which one.

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    silent striker u ever did the course

Mechanics of solids?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    silent striker u ever did the course

Mechanics of solids?
    That's generally an engineering course. No.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    eMJA: The case for boosting infant male circumcision in the face of rising heterosexual transmission of HIV

haha, from one of the sources quoted in that article;

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) male circumcision policy states that while there are potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision, the data are insufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision.
    I mean, seriously, if you're talking about there being an elevated risk due to tearing of a foreskin, sure. But the spread of HIV, as has also been proven by research, is far more a behavioural/education problem than one of simple biology. It's a blunt instrument approach to a complex problem.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 19-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I actually have no idea how that whole thing works down there without a foreskin TBF.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I actually have no idea how that whole thing works down there without a foreskin TBF.
    Well, while we're declaring what adorns our poles, I can confirm I've never had any problems whatsoever as a 'flagged' bloke.

Seems like the skin is an essential part of several fun activities.

vcs

Thread Information