Page 49 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 2319
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

  1. #721
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    Haha, I didn't know I was looking.


    Science teacher?



    My brain would explode if I have to teach a bunch of creationists all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #722
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    BJ Watling's luxurious curls
    Posts
    35,235
    Anyway, to help along bringing cool things back to this thread, I'm looking at taking a first yeat astronomy paper next year (the only astronomy paper).

    It's under the physics BSc though, so I'm a little concerned how much physics there will be in it.

    In other news, there's talk the Christchurch earthquake is pissing off Mt Ruapehu (meh) and White Island (yusss). I love living on a plate boundary. Makes geo so awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  3. #723
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    BJ Watling's luxurious curls
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha, I didn't know I was looking.


    Science teacher?



    My brain would explode if I have to teach a bunch of creationists all the time.
    I've now edited for accuracy.

  4. #724
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Anyway, to help along bringing cool things back to this thread, I'm looking at taking a first yeat astronomy paper next year (the only astronomy paper).

    It's under the physics BSc though, so I'm a little concerned how much physics there will be in it.

    In other news, there's talk the Christchurch earthquake is pissing off Mt Ruapehu (meh) and White Island (yusss). I love living on a plate boundary. Makes geo so awesome.
    Usually in introductory Astronomy courses, there is very little physics, even in 'physics-intensive' courses. Chances are the hardest math you'll do would be to estimate temperature, figuring out distance from redshift, etc. You're not going to go past high school algebra in most cases. And that's for an 'intensive' type course, there are general courses that are completely qualitative.

    Even at the PhD level, astronomy is one of the lesser intensive subjects in terms of the maths. It's mostly Newton and Einstein - astrophysics is different obviously.


  5. #725
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    As long as you can plug things into equations and solve, you're generally good to go for intro courses in astronomy. Is calculus a pre-requisite for that course? What about relativity or other physics pre-reqs? If so, then it might be slightly more intensive and you may have to deal with relativity and things like that, but if not, you'll be more than fine.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 15-09-2010 at 09:15 PM.

  6. #726
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    I'm the science king everywhere tbh.

  7. #727
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    24,791
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Usually in introductory Astronomy courses, there is very little physics, even in 'physics-intensive' courses. Chances are the hardest math you'll do would be to estimate temperature, figuring out distance from redshift, etc. You're not going to go past high school algebra in most cases. And that's for an 'intensive' type course, there are general courses that are completely qualitative.

    Even at the PhD level, astronomy is one of the lesser intensive subjects in terms of the maths. It's mostly Newton and Einstein - astrophysics is different obviously.
    AWTA. Have done an astro subject, was largely maths free.

  8. #728
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    BJ Watling's luxurious curls
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    As long as you can plug things into equations and solve, you're generally good to go for intro courses in astronomy. Is calculus a pre-requisite for that course? What about relativity or other physics pre-reqs? If so, then it might be slightly more intensive and you may have to deal with relativity and things like that, but if not, you'll be more than fine.
    No pre-reqs to my knowledge, and my intro chem seems to be showing that so far (touch wood) my maths isn't as bad as I thought.

  9. #729
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    Then you'll be fine.

    Also, lol @ "maths" in chem.

    But it'll probably be that level or less truthfully.

  10. #730
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    BJ Watling's luxurious curls
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Then you'll be fine.

    Also, lol @ "maths" in chem.

    But it'll probably be that level or less truthfully.
    fine, substitute maths for numbers in general.

    You know what I mean.

  11. #731
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    Yea, you'll be fine. It'll mostly be introductory subjects like stars, galaxies, big bang, etc. Almost all qualitative.

  12. #732
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    BJ Watling's luxurious curls
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea, you'll be fine. It'll mostly be introductory subjects like stars, galaxies, big bang, etc. Almost all qualitative.
    Saw those subjects in the blurb. I almost died from it's awesomeness.

  13. #733
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    24,791
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Then you'll be fine.

    Also, lol @ "maths" in chem.

    But it'll probably be that level or less truthfully.
    My minor in physics says eat me.

    There was some calculus in physical chem too...

  14. #734
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Saw those subjects in the blurb. I almost died from it's awesomeness.

    Are you interested in astronomy? It's my favorite subject as well. I'm trying to get a summer research position at an observatory where they are trying to understand the development of spiral galaxies. I'm going to be in an academic program for like a decade so this is pretty much my last chance to do stuff like this.

  15. #735
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    My minor in physics says eat me.

    There was some calculus in physical chem too...
    Haha. Yes, chem majors in physical chem are too hilarious - as their eyes droop, you can sense their feeling of betrayal. "I was told there'd be no math. Or I wouldn't have picked such a boring subject."



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •