cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 186 of 186 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186
Results 2,776 to 2,784 of 2784
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Cricketer Of The Year StephenZA's Avatar
    I am sure I will get over this stuff soon.....

techcrunch_2019/04/10/the-creation-of-the-algorithm-that-made-the-first-black-hole-image-possible-was-led-by-mit-grad-student-katie-bouman/

As MIT explained: Bouman adopted a clever algebraic solution to this problem: If the measurements from three telescopes are multiplied, the extra delays caused by atmospheric noise cancel each other out. This does mean that each new measurement requires data from three telescopes, not just two, but the increase in precision makes up for the loss of information
    Her TED talk from 2017.

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    This is awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

lse.ac.uk_impactofsocialsciences/2019/04/17/self-organising-peer-review-for-preprints-a-future-paradigm-for-scholarly-publishing/

Interesting proposals not sure if it will actually be able to create a thorough review process.

As of April 2019 the number of preprint databases registered on ROAR (Registry of Open Access Repositories) database reached 4733. In some disciplines, preprints have become commonplace, especially those in which competition is intense to establish the priority of research. Preprints are relatively inexpensive and they allow for the almost immediate publication of research findings, which have led some to argue that they represent the most viable future for scholarly publishing. However, unlike traditional scholarly publications, they have not been peer reviewed.
    The current view is that arXiv could implement a Community Peer Review model, in which registered readers are allowed to comment and rate manuscripts, which are then collated to form a ranking. There are three obvious weak points to Community Peer Review. First, it could be easily gamed and promote unethical behaviour, such as soliciting favourable comments from colleagues and friends. Second, some papers may be quickly reviewed by a number of readers, while others may be unduly neglected. Third, as reviewing is voluntary, there is little control over whether reviewing takes place at all and the time taken for papers to be reviewed.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Norway and Elsevier Agree on Pilot National Licence for Research Access and Publishing

another reminder to not let that university of Oslo login lapse
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Incredibly promising breakthrough.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Just printing thesis. First of all, ****. Second of all, in there is unpublished data that I managed to finesse Oxford collaborators to let me put in.

My contribution to science, convincing email game. Nobel, pls.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 23-04-2019 at 03:27 AM.
    StephenZA and Magrat Garlick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    Norway and Elsevier Agree on Pilot National Licence for Research Access and Publishing

another reminder to not let that university of Oslo login lapse
    Good to see the pressure doing some good on the publishers, but also couple of nice little plugs in there for Elsevier..... you know the innocent party in all this, trying to just do the best for the science community and all that.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Good to see the pressure doing some good on the publishers, but also couple of nice little plugs in there for Elsevier..... you know the innocent party in all this, trying to just do the best for the science community and all that.
    it is Elsevier's press release! (I only linked it because the other English-language source I could find, FT, is paywalled.)
    StephenZA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    it is Elsevier's press release! (I only linked it because the other English-language source I could find, FT, is paywalled.)
    Probably just post the Norwegian link.... google translate probably do a better job than the Elsevier press room.

Thread Information