cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 185 of 186 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186 LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 2784
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

universityofcalifornia.edu_uc-terminates-subscriptions-worlds-largest-scientific-publisher-push-open-access-publicly?

As a leader in the global movement toward open access to publicly funded research, the University of California is taking a firm stand by deciding not to renew its subscriptions with Elsevier. Despite months of contract negotiations, Elsevier was unwilling to meet UC’s key goal: securing universal open access to UC research while containing the rapidly escalating costs associated with for-profit journals.
    “Make no mistake: The prices of scientific journals now are so high that not a single university in the U.S. — not the University of California, not Harvard, no institution — can afford to subscribe to them all,” said Jeffrey MacKie-Mason, university librarian and economics professor at UC Berkeley, and co-chair of UC’s negotiation team. “Publishing our scholarship behind a paywall deprives people of the access to and benefits of publicly funded research. That is terrible for society.”
    nightprowler10 likes this.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

So why don't they just self-publish?

I definitely understand the concern with all of this but if that's such an issue I think they have they capabilities to overcome it pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    So why don't they just self-publish?

I definitely understand the concern with all of this but if that's such an issue I think they have they capabilities to overcome it pretty easily.
    That may be what happens... but the reality is that publishing in recognised reputable journals is important for academic careers. New journals don't always have the traction or history, particularly for new researchers trying to create a career. It is not just an open market it is about quality peer review as well. If universities/societies get together and start producing their own open access journals that become reputable and recognised then the problem will go away, but that will take time and does not solve the problem now.

Good step. Hopefully the other US bigshots follow.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    It’s difficult. If I tried to do this, I’d get kicked out. You definitely need large institutions like UC to take the leap, especially in the biological sciences.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It’s difficult. If I tried to do this, I’d get kicked out. You definitely need large institutions like UC to take the leap, especially in the biological sciences.
    Lets be honest here, this is only happening because of researchgate and sci-hub. Without that all the power lay with the publishing houses, the time it would have taken to start new journals would have probably resulted in failure and a hard time for researchers. Now both government and universities have the chance to put pressure on the publishing houses to change the model. The publishing houses are going to do everything to stop that, who wants to give up their money printing machines.
    Starfighter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    You don't know what you've done. Now your YouTube algorithm is going to go to town with you.
    Haha seriously. I once watched some Bengali speech by a Bangladeshi Islamic Fundamentalist who thought atheists must be killed. And for the next 3 months I was bombarded with obnoxious suggestions from youtube.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

sciencenews_new-quantum-engine-packs-more-power-its-standard-counterparts

In the new study, the quantum engine works not by igniting gasoline, but by using a laser to cause an electron within a tiny defect of a diamond crystal to jump between energy levels. And instead of moving pistons, the quantum machine outputs its power in electromagnetic waves.

Here’s where the quantum part comes in: Objects that behave according to quantum mechanics are sometimes found in a limbo known as superposition, meaning they’re caught in two places at once, or in two different configurations. The electron in the quantum engine can be in a superposition of two energy levels. It’s as if a car engine’s piston was simultaneously in the up and down positions. Under certain conditions, that property, the scientists report, results in increased power output as compared with the maximum power possible with a traditional heat engine. “This is the first experiment where this kind of regime was reached,” says physicist Roberto Serra of the Federal University of ABC in Santo André, Brazil.
    I know this is not really a thing yet, but it sounds so freaking cool...

It is genuinely extraordinary the range of wild and weird phenomena we can explore out of the simplest quantum system imaginable: the two-level atom.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I wouldn't get too excited, they haven't managed to get a quantum computer to factor numbers > 15, while the theory and algorithms have been known for decades now..

Still, pretty cool, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

https://eventhorizontelescope.org/

"We have taken the first picture of a black hole," said EHT project director Sheperd S. Doeleman of the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian. "This is an extraordinary scientific feat accomplished by a team of more than 200 researchers."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Pic is pretty cool tbh.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    One of the actual papers here.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...41-8213/ab0ec7

I know of the cluster they used at Bonn. It's tasty and those GRMHD simulations are ****ing cool.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 11-04-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    StephenZA and Magrat Garlick like this.

Magrat Garlick likes this.

Thread Information