cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 182 of 183 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183 LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 2736
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Is this a genuine thing, or is, like you say, more people surviving? And/or greater awareness and documentation?
    It's absolutely increasing.* We are just not absolutely sure why.

We are not comparing 1700 to 2018. Infant mortality wasn't THAT different a few decades ago in developed countries that you can pass it off to kids surviving who otherwise wouldn't.

*Note that it's SOME autoimmune diseases that have had an unexplained increase, not all. Some like RA, have been decreasing.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 10-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    StephenZA likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Let them play and wash them.

Their gut microbiome is probably a lot more important than whether or not they play in the dirt. ---> eat lots of fibre
    Gut microbiome is undoubtedly one of the key factors. A lot of active research is going into how to optimize that (and comparing the microbiomes of people in developed vs developing countries).

You're right SS, debunked was the wrong word to use there. I think it's fair to say that the initial fervour around the hygeine hypothesis has died down. I think the idea that this was all down to immune exposure has been discredited, and now the question is not about immune exposure per see but more about the response of the immune system to the exposure, and the factors that influence that.

The questions are now how does good inflammation (that fights disease, kills bad tissue and promotes healing accutely) become bad inflammation (that promotes either immune tolerance or autoimmunity - two opposites, and has a chronic component as well).
    silentstriker likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    So, don’t just let them play in the dirt, let them eat a bit of it too?

I do feel sorry for the researchers working in dark matter direct detection experiments, coming up with ever more creative and impressive ways and solutions to see absolutely ****-all. Must drive them slowly insane.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    My impression of the field.

NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISEsomething?NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISEnahNOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISENOISE NOISENOISENOISENOISE

That's also my impression of most people.

That's more high energy physics than dark matter searches tbh, the latter is lucky to ever get to the "something?" stage in the first place.

Cricketer Of The Year StephenZA's Avatar
    scientificamerican_could-medical-procedures-transmit-alzheimers/

This is the sort of stupid reporting that creates unnecessary fears amongst the public. Not saying the science is 'bad' but it is probably nuanced and should only be discussed at the higher academic level of understanding to fully verify and research.

And yes I get the irony of posting it on a cricket forum board.....
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

It is really sad how much this made me laugh.....

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    it's probably a remnant from the time you had to connect the publisher's physical office to get a copy
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

The cruelty is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    scientificamerican_could-medical-procedures-transmit-alzheimers/

This is the sort of stupid reporting that creates unnecessary fears amongst the public. Not saying the science is 'bad' but it is probably nuanced and should only be discussed at the higher academic level of understanding to fully verify and research.

And yes I get the irony of posting it on a cricket forum board.....
    It's also the title that is highly misleading. From the article itself, "These eight patients all received doses of human growth hormone from the pituitary glands of numerous cadavers—a very unusual transmission route." That's slightly different than you going in to get your wart removed.

So I know we had the Chinese get to the moon at last... still pretty impressive.

But snow man is unbelievable amazing to me.

Dr. Stern highlighted the precision that was required for the rendezvous with Ultima Thule.“It’s only really size of something like Washington, D.C., and it’s about as reflective as garden variety dirt,” he said. “And it’s illuminated by a sun that’s 1,900 times fainter than it is outside on a sunny day on Earth, So we’re basically chasing it down in the dark at 32,000 mph.”
    At a distance of 6 billion km away.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0101130547.htm
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/s...-horizons.html

Pretty impressive.

International Captain SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Yeah, I heard that it rotates like a propeller.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Have any of our scitentists here got an answer to the old conundrum about what happens if you tie a piece of bread buttered side up to the back of a cat and drop it from hip height to the floor?

Thread Information