Page 15 of 138 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 2068
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

  1. #211
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Was reading angels and deamons (gun book) and the point made at the begining is that they have developed this substance could antimatter which is 100 percent efficient as energy and causes no pollution but is also more powerful than nukes, any developements on this?
    Well, antimatter as a substance is certainly real, however its production (as of now) is very very low. I'm not sure what you mean by 100% efficient. Such a thing is not possible.

    Likely, it's real application might be in space travel and rockets. I'm not sure if it is feasible to generate enough to use as a power source for regular purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #212
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Obviously didn't enjoy it enough to actually properly read the front cover though.
    Huh?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

    -Tolstoy

  3. #213
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, antimatter as a substance is certainly real, however its production (as of now) is very very low. I'm not sure what you mean by 100% efficient. Such a thing is not possible.
    Says 100 in the book? Why is it impossible?

  4. #214
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Got crap like friction and gravity slowing things up so things can never be 100% efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue


  5. #215
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Huh?
    Look at what you wrote, then look at the book. Don't worry, you're not the only one, some random in year 8 at Stratford High decided Amsterdam should be spelt 'Ansadam'.

  6. #216
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,125
    Hmm.

  7. #217
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Says 100 in the book? Why is it impossible?
    In a system, a process can occur only if it increases the total entropy of the universe. Second law of thermodynamics. You can't create a system where 100% of the energy is harnessed for a process. Some will always be lost as heat, or something else. The universe, as a whole, is always moving towards a state of higher disorder. You can't spontaneously create order from disorder, or prevent order from slowly decaying to disorder in any known process.

  8. #218
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,125
    Intersting.

  9. #219
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,119
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    In a system, a process can occur only if it increases the total entropy of the universe. Second law of thermodynamics. You can't create a system where 100% of the energy is harnessed for a process. Some will always be lost as heat, or something else. The universe, as a whole, is always moving towards a state of higher disorder. You can't spontaneously create order from disorder, or prevent order from slowly decaying to disorder in any known process.
    Liar. First Chance Average > entropy of the universe.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  10. #220
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Liar. First Chance Average > entropy of the universe.
    First chance average = grand unified theory of physics, only harder to work out.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  11. #221
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    First chance average = grand unified theory of physics, only harder to work out.
    RIP Craigos

  12. #222
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Obviously didn't enjoy it enough to actually properly read the front cover though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  13. #223
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,515
    Got something for the wonderful sciency folks to help me out with.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTZ446tbzE

    What the hell caused that exactly?

  14. #224
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Got something for the wonderful sciency folks to help me out with.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTZ446tbzE

    What the hell caused that exactly?
    Oscillations between the bridge and the winds. The engineers on here might be able to explain it better, but the term is Aeroelastic flutter.

  15. #225
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,515
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Oscillations between the bridge and the winds. The engineers on here might be able to explain it better, but the term is Aeroelastic flutter.
    Most interesting, is that there was only a very light breeze that day.

    This example is even more awesome:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRit6tcNT4s

    Any engineers care to help me out?



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •