Page 121 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2068
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Just a question to science-y people. I grew up in a pretty fundamentalist religious environment where talking about the origins of man/evolution etc was pretty much taboo as it was Genesis or bust.

Just wondering if anyone can direct me to some 101 books on this kind of stuff. Hugely interested in this topic, but pretty much completely clueless about it all.
    Last edited by Monk; 12-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Stephen Jay Gould (odd theories aside) and Dawkins are probably the writers who come to mind. Opinionated bastards but they do know their stuff when it comes to evolution.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Evolution specifically or science in general do you mean?

It also depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. To truly contextualise the info contained in a lot of general science books, it really pays to do some background self-learning. Not just for the rote-learning but to understand the scientific mindset which led to a theory or branch of the science. You need to understand what science really means by the term 'theory', the experimental decisions and calculations which go into theory development, their limitations, etc.

For example, if you want to have a go at certain bits of climate science, you'd best first be comfortable with the concept of uncertainty and error in measurements then across techniques for quantifying said error and uncertainty (e.g. 1st year stats which, alone, causes psychological distress for many people). Only after that will you be comfortable with techniques for modelling climate behaviour, the strengths and limitations of models and the variables which feed into it, etc.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Gould made a lot of enemies in science, for sure. Not all his fault, though, disagreement in fields like evolutionary biol, etc is obviously common but the newness of the research meant a lot of non-science types thought old theories he bagged were just outright wrong when he was, as part of the process of inquiry, just naturally refining them, asking questions and criticising.

Gotta have a thick skin to be in science. Bloodsport, man.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Just a question to science-y people. I grew up in a pretty fundamentalist religious environment where talking about the origins of man/evolution etc was pretty much taboo as it was Genesis or bust.

Just wondering if anyone can direct me to some 101 books on this kind of stuff. Hugely interested in this topic, but pretty much completely clueless about it all.
    Start with Darwin's Blackbox.

RIP Craigos

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post

The Greatest Show on Earth is pretty 101 and very useful. If after that, you're looking for more detail, let me know and I can recommend some specific morphology stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar

Heh
    Exit pursuing a beer

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Hah yea, seen that before. Depressingly accurate.

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Not an exaggeration at all. The real-life version: How The Press Misinterprets Scientific Studies | Techdirt

The video at the end is unrelated. But do watch it.

Or, go directly from the laptop to the NYT. Only works well if your discovery is really outlandish.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar

haha, love that reaction, did it when I was at Uni for a Science Week demo. So cool.

What's not cool is the mercury which gets evolved from the decomposition of Mercury Sulfide. Breathing apparatus and a fume cupboard, people!

Just got around to watching the first 2 episodes of "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking". So damn good. And the voice over was really well done by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Thread Information