Page 113 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2068
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    @SS and Spark

Would you recommend those Feynman books to a novice like me? Are they difficult to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

They're probably the clearest books on their topics you'll find. He was a peerless communicator.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    @SS and Spark

Would you recommend those Feynman books to a novice like me? Are they difficult to understand?
    On physics? Well they teach you actual physics (Eg with math). They aren't pop-sci books which deal with ideas. The lectures are from a two year course on physics that he tried. Meaning, they are substitutes (or at least additions to) actual physics textbooks.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 16-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

"I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

That article has a certain strawmannish quality about it.

A third party asks them, "assume a fair coin is flipped 99 times, and each time it comes up heads. What are the odds that the 100th flip would also come up heads?"

Dr John says that the odds are not affected by the previous outcomes so the odds must still be 50:50.
    Fat Tony says that the odds of the coin coming up heads 99 times in a row are so low (less than 1 in 6.33 × 1029) that the initial assumption that the coin had a 50:50 chance of coming up heads is most likely incorrect.
    Yea, well in a real life scenario, it would indeed be logical to question whether the coin flip is indeed fair - we do that all the time in reality (and in science) if we get results that seem odd. But that doesn't change the odds of the situation given in the premise (e.g fair coin).

A man considers going to a job interview. He recently studied statistics and utility theory in college and performed well in the exams. Considering whether to take the interview, he tries to calculate the probability he will get the job versus the cost of the time spent.

This young job seeker forgets that real life has more variables than the small set he has chosen to estimate. Even with a low probability of success, a really good job may be worth the effort of going to the interview. Will he enjoy the process of the interview? Will his interview technique improve regardless of whether he gets the job or not? Even the statistics of the job business are non-linear. What other jobs could come the man's way by meeting the interviewer? Might there be a possibility of a very high pay-off in this company that he has not thought of?
    That's not a fallacy - that's just a bad statistical model which ignores a lot of variables.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Thread Information