Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Oops, wrong article. And I'm not a med student, I would never demean myself by admitting so. Math > Physics > Biology any day.

Psychology is applied biology, I'm dubious.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Oops, wrong article. And I'm not a med student, I would never demean myself by admitting so. Math > Physics > Biology any day.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    What else would it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    What else would it be?
    Depends on what part of psych you're talking. If you're talking cognitive neuropsych, it's applied biology. If you're talking personality theory or social psych, it's applied guesswork and rectal-statistics.

"Hmmmmmm, I think I'll call it 'The Bystander Effect'. Yes! Great name. Now, I just need a sciencey sounding name for when people just stand around and do nothing while something is happening....... aha! 'diffusion of responsibility'!"

You know it's true.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Depends on what part of psych you're talking. If you're talking cognitive neuropsych, it's applied biology. If you're talking personality theory or social psych, it's applied guesswork and rectal-statistics.

"Hmmmmmm, I think I'll call it 'The Bystander Effect'. Yes! Great name. Now, I just need a sciencey sounding name for when people just stand around and do nothing while something is happening....... aha! 'diffusion of responsibility'!"

You know it's true.
    Completely agree.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Psychology is applied bull****. Don't care what you say, it's still a Mickey Mouse degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Psychology is applied bull****. Don't care what you say, it's still a Mickey Mouse degree.

Well, it just creeps over the line in front of 1/10 of a degree...but only just.

Some of it makes sense. Given it's dealing with something we don't even fully understand yet, it's probably not going to be foolproof. Doctors and scientists have a fair bit of a headstart on those in the psych field as far as the amount of time they've already spent researching their field since the year it all started. Psych's only just over 100 years old.

I have to admit though, I found the part where you repeat what the person's said back to them in the counselling subject to be a bit off-putting. If someone sat there repeating things back to me I'd want to knock them out after about 5 minutes.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post

Well, it just creeps over the line in front of 1/10 of a degree...but only just.

Some of it makes sense. Given it's dealing with something we don't even fully understand yet, it's probably not going to be foolproof. Doctors and scientists have a fair bit of a headstart on those in the psych field as far as the amount of time they've already spent researching their field since the year it all started. Psych's only just over 100 years old.
    Yeah that's right, even in the brain imaging side of things. It must be such a frustrating field; you divide the brain up into vague regions and decide what they do. As soon as you delve too deep, you discover the parts of the brains where work goes on actually is individual so the image of one brain isn't generalisable to the image of another. If you're doing research, keep it at the sub-cortical level and don't do any more detailed imaging. You'll get your Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I have to admit though, I found the part where you repeat what the person's said back to them in the counselling subject to be a bit off-putting. If someone sat there repeating things back to me I'd want to knock them out after about 5 minutes.
    Police do it too. Call it cognitive interviewing and is primarily used to get the sequence of events right, enable memory of events which they might have tried to shut out, etc. You can imagine how it goes when you're doing it to a rape victim who's just a bit upset already......

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Fact: cats, when dropped always land on their feet.
    Fact: drop a piece of bread on the ground and it always lands buttered side down.
    Assumption: a piece of bread is strapped to a cat's back, buttered side up.
    Question: When dropped from 1 foot off the ground, will the cat/ bread arrangement land:
    a. cat first, on it's feet?
    b. bread first, buttered side down?
    c. will not land at all, but get 6 inches off the ground and begin spontaneously spinning around, defying gravity?
    Bonus point: give reasons for your conclusion.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Fact: cats, when dropped always land on their feet.
    Fact: drop a piece of bread on the ground and it always lands buttered side down.
    Assumption: a piece of bread is strapped to a cat's back, buttered side up.
    Question: When dropped from 1 foot off the ground, will the cat/ bread arrangement land:
    a. cat first, on it's feet?
    b. bread first, buttered side down?
    c. will not land at all, but get 6 inches off the ground and begin spontaneously spinning around, defying gravity?
    Bonus point: give reasons for your conclusion.
    Isn't a fact itbt. If you were about 4 feet taller(ish) by the time the bread hit the floor it'd be the right way up and if you were another 4 feet taller than that it'd have turned again and would be the wrong way up. Just isn't enough time for it to do a complete cycle in the time it takes the bread to cover the distance between table and floor.

Nah, it's an assumed fact for the purposes of the question. It's also a fact from my experience since childhood, and having conducted experiments from sea level, the Australian Alps and at the top of Sydney Tower.

Land on its side. haha

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Nah, it's an assumed fact for the purposes of the question. It's also a fact from my experience since childhood, and having conducted experiments from sea level, the Australian Alps and at the top of Sydney Tower.

That's How, for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Land on its side. haha
    An answer so simple that it can't possibly be the right one in the realm of science.....

Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information