Page 10 of 138 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

No I don't think they do.... Does anyone know at least how they detect the ball only....
    "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

They use signals(light beams) to detect balls, speed guns the yare called. A measured distance (crease to creas is used and the time taken for the ball to reach it is calculated through these guns. (How much time did it take for the ball to interruppt the beams) and the speed is calculated.

Bazza you are confusing me Planck's constant ? ?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    A speed gun is based on the "Doppler Shift" principle.The device sends out an RF signal of around 10.5 Ghz and detects the beam as it comes back after getting reflected by the moving object(in this case the cricket ball).There is a shift in the frequency of the reflected signal and is called the Doppler shift which is proportional to the speed of the moving object that caused the shift.

Plain old Doppler effect....and all the police car radars etc. are all built on the same principle more or less with varying degrees of accuracy.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Hexxagon Champion!
    A raisin dropped in a glass of champagne would keep bobbing up to the surface, then sink, then bob up again, sink again and so on.

Anyone willing to explain why?
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo View Post
    A raisin dropped in a glass of champagne would keep bobbing up to the surface, then sink, then bob up again, sink again and so on.

Anyone willing to explain why?
    Yea, I know its six years old, but I couldn't resist and this thread is awesome!

They bob up and down because raisins have the type of surface which allows bubbles to form. As the bubbles form on the surface, the raisin's weight (which isn't much) is countered, causing the raisin to float up to the surface. When it reaches the surface, the bubbles dissipate, and the raisin goes back down again.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Holy good God, I'm such a geek.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Put a lightbulb in a half filled glass of milk, shove it in the microwave and it lights up.

Why?

(It's a cool trick, give it a go)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    1) Why do so many lights on telegraph poles seem to go out when I'm near them?

2) Why do I see so many shooting stars?

3) Am I Jesus?

4) I like this thread!
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Put a lightbulb in a half filled glass of milk, shove it in the microwave and it lights up.
    I don't think the milk has anything to do with it, except perhaps to keep the lightbulb from exploding (I believe so it can absorb excess microwave). My guess is that its due to the simple electromagnetic emissions. If the lightbulb is has a W filament (Tungsten), it has the same frequency as the microwave, which excites the photons causing it to jump to a new orbital, and as they go down the orbital, it emits a photon.

More information for those interested.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Why post an article on MO theory when you're talking about atomic absorption?

Bloody med students. Wouldn't know your ligands (chemical) from your ligands (biological).

The MO article was good, though.

EDIT: you're right, the milk is essentially irrelevant, just acts to mop up excess microwaves otherwise they'll bounce around inside the oven. Could be any liquid, really.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    I remember my science teacher saying that nuclear energy doesn't cause any pollution but the waste it produces is very dangerous. I know that but he then went on to say that they've found some sort of bacteria which can (Apparently) deteriorate this waste. Can anyone clarify this for me?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Why post an article on MO theory when you're talking about atomic absorption?

Bloody med students. Wouldn't know your ligands (chemical) from your ligands (biological).
    Oops, wrong article. And I'm not a med student, I would never demean myself by admitting so. Math > Physics > Biology any day.

Last edited by silentstriker; 16-07-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    I remember my science teacher saying that nuclear energy doesn't cause any pollution but the waste it produces is very dangerous. I know that but he then went on to say that they've found some sort of bacteria which can (Apparently) deteriorate this waste. Can anyone clarify this for me?
    This is a very hot field right now. Some of the research I am planning to work on is similar. And yes, it might be possible in the future. I think she might be talking about this article.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    This is a very hot field right now. Some of the research I am planning to work on is similar. And yes, it might be possible in the future. I think she might be talking about this article.
    Interesting 230000 tons in 30 years is quite a figure though, can this bacteria accumulate this type of waste?

And by the way my science teachers a man.

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Interesting 230000 tons in 30 years is quite a figure though, can this bacteria accumulate this type of waste?
    Well, they've simply found the bacteria that can live there. You might be able to genetically engineer the bacteria to produce something else from the waste, or render it unharmful. But that article is talking about figuring out how the bacteria can live and store this radioactive material, and how they can make artificial technologies that can do the same (to remove the metals from the soil).

You'd still have the problem of what to do with the metals though, and for that, there is (unfortunately), very little to do at the moment except lock it up and make sure it doesn't leak. On the whole, nuclear power is still very clean and safe compared to coal and other options (not as clean as wind or hydro though obviously).

Page 10 of 138 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information