Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: The great hunting debate

  1. #1
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512

    The great hunting debate

    Okay, its midnight, and im having to explain to some 'tard why fox hunting is in fact inhumane.. He's trying to come up with some counter arguments but they completely diverge from the point and are easy to counter anyway..

    Anyway, in a few months, new legislation will come into place in the UK that will losen the power of the hunt.. what are the thoughts of the board?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  2. #2
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,409
    What did Spike Milligan call it?

    The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible

    That said, I love fox. You can get it in Tesco now.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  3. #3
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,875
    foxes are so cool. how could anyone possibly want to harm one?
    "Matt Damon"

  4. #4
    U19 Captain barmyarmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    658
    This is entirely class-based and I say that as a proud member of the bourgeousie who has never been hunting in his life. Govt shouldn't need to regulate in these areas and are doing so only in the hope of shoring up the vote at the next election.


  5. #5
    International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Same place as the Ashes
    Posts
    5,615
    How can killing be fun???????????

  6. #6
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhmaster
    How can killing be fun???????????
    Sums up every thing I feel on the topic.

  7. #7
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,296
    It isn't about the killing though.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  8. #8
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    25,599
    nothing wrong with hunting imo...

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    foxes are so cool. how could anyone possibly want to harm one?
    Because they're pests and they kill chickens and other valuable animals by the dozen.
    That does not make hunting justifiable in the slightest.
    There are humaine ways to do anything in this World and it is perfectly possible to dispose of foxes without this type of barbary.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  10. #10
    International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,025
    Personally, I think that this topic shouldn't be brought up again. I say this because those few of us who are pro are never allowed to have our say without being ridiculed. As you probably know from the last time this came up I am pro but I do respect the views of those who are not. I know full well that those against will never change their minds but it's a shame that some anti's won't show us the same respect as we show them.

    COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    "One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

  11. #11
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    Personally, I think that this topic shouldn't be brought up again. I say this because those few of us who are pro are never allowed to have our say without being ridiculed. As you probably know from the last time this came up I am pro but I do respect the views of those who are not. I know full well that those against will never change their minds but it's a shame that some anti's won't show us the same respect as we show them.
    That's because your argument is provocative, even if you don't think it is.

    Imagine for a moment that I'm a member of an upper-caste, for whom a traditional custom is to hunt seven year old children through the woods and have them slaughtered by dogs.

    Someone might say to me, "that practice is inhumane, you barbaric monster!"

    It might seem rather strange if I were to say, "Now, I respect that you are of the opinion that it's wrong to butcher these helpless children, but surely you can respect my desire to kill them for fun!"

    Why would they?

    Obviously, very few of us believe that animal life is on par with human life, so it's an extreme example. It still makes the point though. The level of outrage isn't going to be to the same degree, but most people who consider fox-hunting a barbaric practice aren't going to be amenable to somebody saying "but we've done it for so long" or "but it's fun".
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  12. #12
    Banned ReallyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    I like how foxes howl in the moonlight. That makes them cool.

  13. #13
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    Personally, I think that this topic shouldn't be brought up again. I say this because those few of us who are pro are never allowed to have our say without being ridiculed. As you probably know from the last time this came up I am pro but I do respect the views of those who are not. I know full well that those against will never change their minds but it's a shame that some anti's won't show us the same respect as we show them.

    Ouch.. yeah sorry for bringing that up. I forgot.. I was just rather annoyed at having a pro hunter completely dishing it out randomly last night!

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    Obviously, very few of us believe that animal life is on par with human life, so it's an extreme example. It still makes the point though. The level of outrage isn't going to be to the same degree, but most people who consider fox-hunting a barbaric practice aren't going to be amenable to somebody saying "but we've done it for so long" or "but it's fun".

    Maybe that's true but it works both ways- I don't agree with people who say "those who do it are sick" or "they only do it for the fun of it". I'm trying to say that people should respect the fact that other people do have opinions, I'm not saying you have to like my point of view or agree with it.
    Last edited by Anna; 12-12-2004 at 09:18 AM.

  15. #15
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    fair enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sri Lanka and India in CWLand (Australia)
    By lord_of_darkness in forum Cricket Web XI
    Replies: 460
    Last Post: 23-10-2004, 03:09 PM
  2. Great clothes and accessories
    By Little Master in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-08-2004, 06:20 AM
  3. Great Captains
    By FRAZ in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18-01-2004, 05:53 AM
  4. Why no Great Britain cricket team ?
    By Salamuddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 18-11-2003, 10:02 AM
  5. Great News from Oman !!!!!
    By R_Powell_fan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-12-2002, 08:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •