Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90

Thread: Mozilla Firefox

  1. #1
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284

    Mozilla Firefox

    Does anyone use it? Is it worth getting?
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

  2. #2
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Ive used IE and Mozilla and both I find good.. No point in changing IMO if you have IE6 though
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  3. #3
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Yeah, I use it. IMO, it's great. The benefits:

    1) Tabbed browsing - you can have more windows open (as tabs) and consume less memory than you would for having a huge amount of multiple IE windows open)

    2) Much more secure - the developers boast that this is due to their code, which is partly true (you can manipulate which sites you'll allow to install software from, for instance), but mainly it's because it's market share is way smaller than IE, so malevolent coders don't seek to exploit it like they do the Microsoft browser.

    3) It's much more customizable than IE in terms of usability, via hundreds of useful extensions to choose from, and appearance, through visual themes.

    4) It's WC3 standards-compliant, which means it follows web-design standards that are becoming universal. IE uses a lot of weird proprietry code that other browsers do not - which leads to sites looking different between IE and all other browsers (this is more handy for web-developers trying to achieve a universal appearance for all visitors to their site).

    5) Popup blocker (very effective, and easy to tailor, although SP2 obviously gave us something similar for IE)

    6) It uses "Live Bookmarks", which allows you to put syndicated (RSS) newsfeeds in your favorites, so the latest headlines of your favorite news sites are quickly accessible without having to navigate around all over the place.

    It's a good time to start using it, 'cause version 1.0 has finally been released, so it's no longer beta code anymore. You don't have to ditch IE though - just download the thing and don't set it as your default browser yet. Have a surf around with it for a couple of weeks, and if you like it, switch - if you don't, you can go back to IE with no fuss at all.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  4. #4
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Here's a screenshot that illustrates fairly well how you can tailor the appearance to your needs, as well as showing how the tabs work.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    19,014
    Hey Slowlove™, i currently use opera, how would you say it compares to that?

    I have the previous standard Mozzila and wasn't that impressed but i guess this must be a few levels above that. Im very happy with Opera but i still have to use IE for some things as some websites dont agree with Opera, is this the same with firefox?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,652
    I've been forced into using Mozilla Firefox because IE6 is stuffing up royally. I have no problems with it, it's great.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,944
    Out of interest how does the Cricket Web home page look in Opera and Mozilla?

  8. #8
    State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,110
    Anyone can visit my site and you'll see a huge difference between how it displays in IE and Mozilla.

    CW looks fine James

    The Members Stand
    - the home of all cricket management games


    MSN Messenger address: edblax @ gmail . com

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,183
    I personally use Konqueror but Moz Firebird is a great browser. It's fast, secure and runs with a small footprint so I'd heartely recommend it, asisde from the fact it's an open-source project.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  10. #10
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    Hey Slowlove™, i currently use opera, how would you say it compares to that?

    I have the previous standard Mozzila and wasn't that impressed but i guess this must be a few levels above that. Im very happy with Opera but i still have to use IE for some things as some websites dont agree with Opera, is this the same with firefox?
    Yeah, it comes down to the "standards-compliant" thingy, and it is the same. When you get a page that doesn't agree with Opera or Firefox, it's because the webmaster is coding for IE (which actually mishandles a bunch of html and css), due to it's larger market share. So everybody thinks "oh, this site works properly with IE, but stupid Mozilla/Opera breaks it". In fact, IE is broken, 'cause it doesn't conform to international web standards, while Firefox and Opera do... Anyhow, end result is it's as you say, and so you will need to use IE for some pages (in consolation, the amount of times this is true is becoming less and less, as webmasters conform to the standards more often).

    I only tried Opera for a short time, but I hated it aesthetically. Did you buy it? 'Cause if not, a huge benefit to switching to Firefox is losing those damned ads.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,183
    Yeah, it comes down to the "standards-compliant" thingy, and it is the same. When you get a page that doesn't agree with Opera or Firefox, it's because the webmaster is coding for IE (which actually mishandles a bunch of html and css), due to it's larger market share. So everybody thinks "oh, this site works properly with IE, but stupid Mozilla/Opera breaks it". In fact, IE is broken, 'cause it doesn't conform to international web standards, while Firefox and Opera do... Anyhow, end result is it's as you say, and so you will need to use IE for some pages (in consolation, the amount of times this is true is becoming less and less, as webmasters conform to the standards more often).
    This is funny; IE FOR MAC is actually fairly standards compliant. I find that hilarious.

    And let's not forget IE-specific specialties like iframes and the like...........

  12. #12
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Out of interest how does the Cricket Web home page look in Opera and Mozilla?
    Here it is, in Mozilla.

    About the only differences you'll notice are:

    1) there's some wider spaces between items - this is 'cause IE and Firefox treat the "BR" tag differently (this could be fixed by using the "LI" tag to bullet the items.

    2) the images you're using in front of the forum post links (in the orange box on the right) aren't showing, but it's easily fixed. The path to the links ("img src="\forum\images\buttons\lastpost.gif") has the slashes going the wrong way - they should be forward slashes rather than backslashes. IE6 processes the bad code, but Firefox won't ('cause a backslash usually means an "escape" in web scripting).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    This is funny; IE FOR MAC is actually fairly standards compliant. I find that hilarious.
    Bizarre. I had no idea there'd be any difference on that level (errr, any level, really) between IE for the Mac and for the PC.

    I think I read somewhere that Safari was the most standards compliant browser of all - apparently it's incorporated into iTunes for Windows users. It's possible that Apple will introduce it as a standalone for Windows, and get in on the browser wars - Microsoft aren't going to be updating their browser until 2006 or so, with Longhorn.

  14. #14
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    I tried changing skins in Mozilla, and it stuffed up. It doesn't load anymore, except for the safe mode, giving the absence of a .xdl file as the error. I tried re-installing it, but gives the same error.

  15. #15
    International Debutant AUST_HiTMaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,260
    Personally I use Avant Browser, as I had some problems with IE.

    Anyone else used it before?
    eep.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •