Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 651

Thread: The Political Compass Test

  1. #91
    International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,065
    Your political compass
    Economic Left/Right: -1.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

    Opinions and thoughts on mine Jono, Slow Love and Neil?
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)


    "Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

    Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

  2. #92
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,261
    Your result is somewhat what I expected I'd get, but I didn't. I consider myself quite educated when it comes to economics, and thus I figured this would result in me often leaning towards the right on some economic and business issues (note I am not saying anyone on the left is uneducated with economics (since I am on the left too) so don't even start). Out of curiosity, what are your views on free trade and tarriff reform? Also what about the use of enterprise agreements instead of the centralised wage system?

    You're clearly on the left with social issues, so I'm guessing you are fairly liberal? You did vote Labor if I remember correctly, but this is just an assumption so if I'm wrong I apologise.
    Last edited by Jono; 13-11-2004 at 11:54 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  3. #93
    International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,065
    Yes, I did vote Labor Jono, yeah quite I'm quite liberal when it comes to social issues and I'd like to believe that I like letting people live for who they are, and not who they should be.

    Economically I'm all for Capitalism and letting the hungriest and best win when they can and how they can. However I do believe that these corporations should also contribute towards society when they have the power to (I think there was a question like that).

    I do believe the world is your oyster if you're willing to work with enough dedication, heart and passion, and if you do, then you deserve all the success and money in the world, so I guess thats more of an enterprise type thing rather than a centralised wage system.

    Hope I'm making sense mate....


  4. #94
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    That's what swayed you to the right.

    Just out of curiosity, don't you think the sanctity of marriage has already been ruined, spat on and then thrown in the trash. Divorce rates over 50% in most western countries, hell Birtney Spears' less than a day marriage makes headlines. What would allowing gays to marriage possibly do to worsen it?

    Regarding gays adopting children, whats the difference between that, and a white and black marriage or asian and white marriage adopting a child?
    1) Yeah I agree.. Marriage these days is hardly worth the paper its documented on.. Why get married when millions just abuse it, making it worthless?? I think same sex marriage makes an even bigger mockery on the whole thing.. It isnt natural, its contrived and tacky.. And its hardly likely to lower the divorce rate IMO...

    2) Same sex marriage and adopting children is an absolute outrage because it denies the child a basic right which is to have a mother to look up too.. I know these kids have been displaced, but when you settle them back, they still have no mother.. It kind of defeats the whole object of settling them into new families..
    If a mixed race couple can live with each other and an adopted child, then so be it.. Don't see any reason why they couldn't be as fitting as any same race heterosexual couple..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.


  5. #95
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    1) Yeah I agree.. Marriage these days is hardly worth the paper its documented on.. Why get married when millions just abuse it, making it worthless?? I think same sex marriage makes an even bigger mockery on the whole thing.. It isnt natural, its contrived and tacky.. And its hardly likely to lower the divorce rate IMO...

    2) Same sex marriage and adopting children is an absolute outrage because it denies the child a basic right which is to have a mother to look up too.. I know these kids have been displaced, but when you settle them back, they still have no mother.. It kind of defeats the whole object of settling them into new families..
    If a mixed race couple can live with each other and an adopted child, then so be it.. Don't see any reason why they couldn't be as fitting as any same race heterosexual couple..
    1) I just firmly believe that gays should be entitled to be legally married. It doesn't matter whether it has nothing to do with the church, I think its their right. By law someone with a sex change can marry right? (I may be wrong) Well I see that as more unnatural than two men or women marrying each other under the law and being able to have all the benefits of marriage such as joint contracts as well as the harmonious 'stuff'.

    2) I haven't totally made up my mind about gays adopting. First off, two gay women may want to adopt, so its not the basic right of a mother that is being denied, but father too

    However, I am suspicious that it could cause problems as the kid grows with trauma etc. so that's why I'm not fully sold. But I think of hypocrisies. What if the law came out and said that mix race couples couldn't adopt, because it would cause possible teasing for the kid as he/she grows and matures. I mean that would be unjust right? So the way I see it, its the same for gay marriage.

    However your point regarding the basic right of a father/mother is a very strong one. Much more solid than one claiming the kid may grow up suffering from trauma and anguish etc. I applaud you on that one. What I must ask though is, what's the difference between that, and a single dad raising his child due to a divorce resulting in his mother leaving or not having custardy of the children?

    Just food for thought, like I said I'm not decided one way or the next on that issue.

  6. #96
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Its a tough one Jono..

    To be honest, a single dad raising a kid (I know full well about that) isn't an ideal situation.. In fact it's pretty bad.. There is not much you can do to stop it, so long as there is divorce/custody battles etc... But there is no point in starting off in that mess! (Which is effectively what same sex raising of children does)

    And AFAIK, in my experiences, a kid with a mixed race family doesn't recieve too much bullying these days (Even in my conservative area where there are very very few minority groups).. And you can't really compare it to gays adopting because that brings you straight back to the "Lack of a mother figure" point...

  7. #97
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    I can see the argument against same sex couple adoption - however if that holds, then you also have to oppose single parent adoption. I accept that neither situation is perfect, however they're a damn sight better than living in a home. The lesser of two?

    As for the market - this may surprise you, but I'd love to see every single trade barrier in the world come down. There's no-one in the world this would hurt except the Western corporations preventing the third world from competing on imports - there's a ridiculous amount of comparative (and even absolute) advantage being squandered. My real problem is abuse, misappropriation and exploitation by oligopoly.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  8. #98
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I can see the argument against same sex couple adoption - however if that holds, then you also have to oppose single parent adoption. I accept that neither situation is perfect, however they're a damn sight better than living in a home. The lesser of two?

    As for the market - this may surprise you, but I'd love to see every single trade barrier in the world come down. There's no-one in the world this would hurt except the Western corporations preventing the third world from competing on imports - there's a ridiculous amount of comparative (and even absolute) advantage being squandered. My real problem is abuse, misappropriation and exploitation by oligopoly.
    I'm doing the CAP at the moment.. Makes me wonder why arable farmers have ever whinged...

    And I'm not surprised at your opinion.. Im kind of leaning in that way too

  9. #99
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I'm doing the CAP at the moment.. Makes me wonder why arable farmers have ever whinged...

    And I'm not surprised at your opinion.. Im kind of leaning in that way too
    Don't start me on the CAP.

  10. #100
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Don't start me on the CAP.
    Look at those grain mountains neil.. Could be feeding Somalians that...

  11. #101
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    As for the market - this may surprise you, but I'd love to see every single trade barrier in the world come down. There's no-one in the world this would hurt except the Western corporations preventing the third world from competing on imports - there's a ridiculous amount of comparative (and even absolute) advantage being squandered. My real problem is abuse, misappropriation and exploitation by oligopoly.
    I agree, but it has to be done slowly (like what has occurred over the past 20-30 years or so) with it slowly diminishing as time goes on. Most tariffs are what, 5%? 15% at the most. That's in Australia of course, but I'm sure it would be similar. I'm glad the Aust. government slowly brought in tariff reform, and was cautious with our passenger motor vehicle industries ibecause we would have been absolutely slaughtered if tariffs were absolutely removed point blank. A slow but steady process results in reform occurring over a period of time where companies adjust, improve productivity and replace the immediate structural unemployment (which isn't as high as it would be if we removed tariffs all together) by increasing branches due to higher profits and production.

    Obviously the time for 100% free trade is coming.

  12. #102
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I agree, but it has to be done slowly (like what has occurred over the past 20-30 years or so) with it slowly diminishing as time goes on. Most tariffs are what, 5%? 15% at the most. That's in Australia of course, but I'm sure it would be similar. I'm glad the Aust. government slowly brought in tariff reform, and was cautious with our passenger motor vehicle industries ibecause we would have been absolutely slaughtered if tariffs were absolutely removed point blank. A slow but steady process results in reform occurring over a period of time where companies adjust, improve productivity and replace the immediate structural unemployment (which isn't as high as it would be if we removed tariffs all together) by increasing branches due to higher profits and production.

    Obviously the time for 100% free trade is coming.
    Yep - or else you end up with a repeat of what happened in the Northern mining towns when the industry vanished. Total meltdown.

  13. #103
    U19 Captain barmyarmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Look at those grain mountains neil.. Could be feeding Somalians that...

    It's worse than that. The EU systematically dumps its surplus's onto the African markets undercutting the domestic producers. I think a course in developmental economics should be compulsory for every single school age child in the country.

  14. #104
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy
    I think a course in developmental economics should be compulsory for every single school age child in the country.
    Developmental economics? Getting them to say "please" and "thank you" not "f*ck you" would be a starting point...

  15. #105
    U19 Captain barmyarmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    658
    Yeah I know, I work for a kids charity...
    The developmental economics was more aimed at the ones who would listen but ought to know this stuff. Far too many people go through life with no conception of economic realities.

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW Test Rankings - Updated Jan 2012
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 428
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
  2. How About a Test Match World Cup?
    By StUEy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 10:36 AM
  3. Next teams to gain Test status
    By Barney Rubble in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 20-03-2005, 10:08 AM
  4. Bradshaw and Browne for the test team?
    By garage flower in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:45 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 06:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •