cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Out of control

Out of control

We had someone killed at Charlottesville a couple of years ago, and Jo Cox murdered here in the U.K. The Euro elections here saw certain folk ‘milkshaked’ frequently and now a journalist on America has bleeding on the brain after a milkshake turned particularly nasty.

Just a few examples, from two countries. Why is this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Political violence has been declining in the West for years, no?

Not to minimise what happened to Cox or Ngo, but maybe it makes more sense to ask why that type of thing isn't happening more.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Uppercut raised an interesting question. Is anything out of control besides the spinning of narratives?
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

Not to minimise what happened to Cox or Ngo, but maybe it makes more sense to ask why that type of thing isn't happening more.
    Hmmm. Interesting point.

Another thing that crossed my mind in making the thread was whether the 24/7 news cycle + social media make things seem worse than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Uppercut raised an interesting question. Is anything out of control besides the spinning of narratives?
    A danger in itself

andmark, Spark, Ausage and 1 others like this.

Free form improvisations are certainly out of control. Though that might be a good thing

Yeah David Runciman makes this point when people bring up comparisons between now and the 30s.

I think the question of why it feels out of control (assuming it's just a feeling) is likely related to the reason why someone feels compelled to put on a black mask and hurl projectiles at people with whole they have political disagreements.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I think the question of why it feels out of control (assuming it's just a feeling) is likely related to the reason why someone feels compelled to put on a black mask and hurl projectiles at people with whole they have political disagreements.
    Doesn't the PNW have a long history of anarchist mobs and the like? I can't really tell the difference between the antifa mobs and this lot, just with slightly different branding.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Doesn't the PNW have a long history of anarchist mobs and the like? I can't really tell the difference between the antifa mobs and this lot, just with slightly different branding.
    It does, but Antifa is pretty much global (or at least pan-western) now. The Ngo thing could have happened anywhere.

It genuinely seems a lot worse in Portland or Seattle. Just from my spotty and anecdotal memory, I tend to hear about "violent antifa mobs" coming out of those two cities in particular far more than anyone else, with the possible exception of the Bay Area.

I don't think it's much more of a thing in continental Europe. There, it's a different class of mobs which seem to be the issue. Once again, nothing new for the area. I think we should be careful reading too much novelty into these things. What I will say though is that the far-left mostly seem to settle on cathartic but mostly formless acts of mob violence and disruption to make their point. The far-right is rather more, well...

https://www.dw.com/en/german-neo-naz...sts/a-49410494

Germany's domestic intelligence agency says a group of neo-Nazis compiled a list of political opponents and ordered 200 body bags and quicklime in preparation for a potential collapse of state order, named "Day X."

Most of the more than 30 preppers, who called themselves Nordkreuz (Northern Cross), were associated with Germany's police and military, including several former and one active member of the elite forces unit of the state police of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

Preppers is a term used to describe those preparing for social collapse or natural disaster by stockpiling food and emergency supplies. Speaking to the local Märkische Allgemeine newspaper in 2017, members of Nordkreuz described themselves as people with a "healthy conservative attitude" who simply collected supplies for a major disaster.

But all of the members of the group were trained marksmen and had access to firearms and ammunition, according to the RND newspaper network, which reported the conspiracy on Friday, citing sources inside the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), Germany's domestic intelligence agency.

The BfV also believes that the group, which communicated via the messenger app Telegram, was preparing for Day X with "enormous intensity," and had used data from police computers to compile a list of 25,000 names and addresses.

These mostly belonged to local politicians from Germany's main political parties, the Christian Democrats, Social Democrats, Greens and Left party. All of the politicians were considered supporters of "pro-refugee" policies.
    Last edited by Spark; 01-07-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Back in my day masked projectile throwers were a minor inconvenience, people would be raging when they had to take the long way to the pub to avoid them.

It does still warrant an answer though. I think we already know, but for some reason it's on the fringes of the discourse.

Violence is a virus. If people are exposed to it at low levels, the probability of mid-level violence is much higher; if it's present at mid-levels, the probability of high-level violence is much higher. Every link in the chain is well-established, right up to the massive proportion of terrorists and mass shooters that start with domestic violence.
    zorax likes this.

It's a bit depressing to consider that the world today is much better than at any other point in history, yet it's still full of ****.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

One of my favourite Chemical Brothers songs, tbh.

Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    One of my favourite Chemical Brothers songs, tbh.
    Great video clip to go with it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information