cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The African News and Politics Thread

Cricketer Of The Year StephenZA's Avatar
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Cricketer Of The Year StephenZA's Avatar
    For those who are interested, SA has been doing load/power shedding for a number of years.... sadly it is only getting worse and not better.

Economy/analysis-load-shedding-worse-than-we-thought-and-here-to-stay

Eskom/sunday-read-load-shedding-through-the-years-and-how-eskom-has-struggled-to-keep-the-lights-on

I can say that this has cost my little physics department close to R2 Million (~$140 000) in the last 4 years in damaged equipment (or at least the insurance companies). Personally it has cost me an extra 12 months on my PhD.

I have heard that it possibly costing SA up to 10% of its GDP everyday you have the power interruptions (GDP for that day!, just to be clear). But that is purely speculative because if true it will bankrupt the country pretty damn quickly.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 24-03-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    For those who are interested, SA has been doing load/power shedding for a number of years.... sadly it is only getting worse and not better.

Eskom/sunday-read-load-shedding-through-the-years-and-how-eskom-has-struggled-to-keep-the-lights-on

I can say that this has cost my little physics department close to R2 Million (~$140 000) in the last 4 years in damaged equipment (or at least the insurance companies). Personally it has cost me an extra 12 months on my PhD.

I have heard that it possibly costing SA up to 10% of its GDP everyday you have the power interruptions (GDP for that day!, just to be clear). But that is purely speculative because if true it will bankrupt the country pretty damn quickly.
    That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post

I don't think it would cost that high of an amount of GDP. Pakistan had massive load shedding in the late 00s and up to mid 2010s and it did shave off up to 3% of GDP growth IIRC correctly.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I don't think it would cost that high of an amount of GDP. Pakistan had massive load shedding in the late 00s and up to mid 2010s and it did shave off up to 3% of GDP growth IIRC correctly.
    What constitutes massive? We've had 4-8 hours daily for quite a while now (although we got told yesterday that it may be easing up in the coming week).

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    What constitutes massive? We've had 4-8 hours daily for quite a while now (although we got told yesterday that it may be easing up in the coming week).
    Yawn.

We had 8-12 hours in major cities. In rural areas and small cities it went to 18 hours a day. And summer in most of the major cities is 45 degrees celsius plus. So yeah, it was awful

Yawn.

We had 8-12 hours in major cities. In rural areas and small cities it went to 18 hours a day. And summer in most of the major cities is 45 degrees celsius plus. So yeah, it was awful
    Christ. 8-12 hours is likely where we're headed, unfortunately. Utter madness.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics...-pay-says-blf/

Ignoring the obviously problematic racial overtones, what do you guys think of the basic premise?
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Christ. 8-12 hours is likely where we're headed, unfortunately. Utter madness.
    At least you guys have good weather.

I was actually visiting some rural areas in the late 00s summer. I was there for a week. The electricity would go for 3 hours and then return for an hour. The mercury never dipped below 45 celsius and the hotter days were 48. It was hell. I even got sick because there wasn't enough electricity to cool water and make ice etc. Was just awful. 12 hours and beyond starts too feel like there is no electricity.

I was actually visiting some rural areas in the late 00s summer. I was there for a week. The electricity would go for 3 hours and then return for an hour. The mercury never dipped below 45 celsius and the hotter days were 48. It was hell. I even got sick because there wasn't enough electricity to cool water and make ice etc. Was just awful. 12 hours and beyond starts too feel like there is no electricity.
    This carried on well into the 10s too. During PPP's tenure (08-13'), I vividly recall 14 hours of load shedding here in Jhelum. After hours and hours we'd get electricity for like 15 minutes and then it'd be gone again. It was unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    This carried on well into the 10s too. During PPP's tenure (08-13'), I vividly recall 14 hours of load shedding here in Jhelum. After hours and hours we'd get electricity for like 15 minutes and then it'd be gone again. It was unbearable.
    yeah this terrible period of loadshedding basically went from late 00s to mid 10s.

The summers were indeed unbearable. Thankfully i was in karachi most of the time. It was slightly better there. Other places were ridiculously bad.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar

yeah this terrible period of loadshedding basically went from late 00s to mid 10s.

The summers were indeed unbearable. Thankfully i was in karachi most of the time. It was slightly better there. Other places were ridiculously bad.
    Seems like the whole of Pakistan is like UP/Bihar.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics...-pay-says-blf/

Ignoring the obviously problematic racial overtones, what do you guys think of the basic premise?
    It's stupid.

But by BLF standards its actually not that bad - they're such an egregious and idiotic party.

Fully-fledged racists they are; this at least is based upon a relatively rational argument.

Their latest stunt was this

After a concrete bridge at a school broke and killed 3 students, one BLF member tweeted: "Why should we frown on the ancestors’ petitions to punish the land thieves including their offspring."

https://ewn.co.za/2018/12/11/blf-def...ople-statement is another example of their blatant racism.
    Last edited by MrPrez; 26-03-2019 at 04:07 PM.

It's stupid.

But by BLF standards its actually not that bad - they're such an egregious and idiotic party.

Fully-fledged racists they are; this at least is based upon a relatively rational argument.

Their latest stunt was this

https://ewn.co.za/2018/12/11/blf-def...ople-statement is another example of their blatant racism.

After a concrete bridge at a school broke and killed 3 students, one BLF member tweeted: "Why should we frown on the ancestors’ petitions to punish the land thieves including their offspring."
    When people say "it's impossible to be racist against white people", I often wonder whether they're just being euro-centric because nutcases like those guys exist in places outside the immediate area of the west.
    Last edited by andmark; 26-03-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Seems like the whole of Pakistan is like UP/Bihar.
    It was probably worse at that time. Generation capacity wasn't there and it took time to a point where this thing came under control. It was almost 7 - 8 years of misery.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information