Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Value Added to Society by Idle Shareholders and Landlords

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Just tax the bastards properly, and that includes Burgey and GIMH

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Just tax the bastards properly, and that includes Burgey and GIMH
    You do know that if you tax the landlords they just pass it onto the renter.
    If you nick it walk

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You do know that if you tax the landlords they just pass it onto the renter.
    Not if you have proper rent controls in place (which we used to have until the wicked witch abolished them)

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Oh mate. That’s so cute.
    Go on then, why doesn't it?

TNT
    Not if you have proper rent controls in place (which we used to have until the wicked witch abolished them)
    And you get what you pay for, no one is going to lose money providing a rental so rentals properties will be of very low quality.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Are you seriously asking this? Are you seriously asking what we gain by giving ownership to those who work? Well we get better quality, better productivity from them in a way that has never been seen before. A direct share of profit will work like magic for 90%+ of the employees. The human civilization will move on a path of progress in a much faster way.

Can't believe someone as intelligent as you would ask this question. And no, my goal is not to keep some people from getting filthy rich - that's just a side-effect.
    How do we get better quality? If i'm trying hard at my job now, how will I suddenly become better if I'm a part-owner?
    How will we get better productivity? As an employee, I'm currently already stressed about the work/life balance I lack trying to reach targets. How will I suddenly up my output?
    How will a direct share profit work like magic? Making me more exposed to the volatility of the marketplace for our goods does not offer me any security. How can I plan my expenditure if my income isn't fixed? If the company is struggling (which happens to some regardless of quality/productivity), am I exposed to business costs associated with that? What happens if the company is planning to expand, am I expected as a part-owner to help finance this and hope it works so I can claim it back in later dividends?

I mean, if employee owned business was such a golden egg as you say, why is Marks & Spencer a much bigger retailer than John Lewis (3x the turnover annually), despite being founded around the same time and pretty much being in competition with each other in the modern era? Why is Lewis' giving out record low dividends for the past two years?

Your principle sounds nice on paper, but in real work situations, its not proven to work as smoothly as you're implying.
    Daemon likes this.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

cpr
    And you get what you pay for, no one is going to lose money providing a rental so rentals properties will be of very low quality.

There's also pre-existing quality controls in place to stop that. Renting out a property (properly) is actually pretty heavily regulated regarding standards of living.

I don't see how that follows - there's no reason why a landlord shouldn't turn a profit (although my 20 year old self wouldn't agree) - what they should not be making is an unacceptable level of profit, which was the job of the old rent assessment committees
    NZTailender likes this.

I don't see how that follows - there's no reason why a landlord shouldn't turn a profit (although my 20 year old self wouldn't agree) - what they should not be making is an unacceptable level of profit, which was the job of the old rent assessment committees
    If the rents don't reflect the property values, then more housing will be on sale rather than offered on rent, especially new housing. That may sound like an acceptable trade-off, and perhaps so, but this is nothing other than profiting existing tenants over future/potential ones.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    pls no
    Prince EWS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    If the rents don't reflect the property values, then more housing will be on sale rather than offered on rent, especially new housing. That may sound like an acceptable trade-off, and perhaps so, but this is nothing other than profiting existing tenants over future/potential ones.
    The overarching problem is the way the wicked witch consigned public sector rentals to history

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    People donít incorporate businesses to benefit society ffs. They do it to make money. Thatís capitalism 101 isnít it?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    People deliberately lose money providing rental properties in Australia all the time. Itís called negative gearing.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    In Wellington, NZ, there's literally a bidding system now. Landlords will list a property at a set price, but then ask one set of prospective tennants what they can pay after viewing, and then go to other prospective tennants and ask if they will pay higher. Free market at play, hey.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    People deliberately lose money providing rental properties in Australia all the time. It’s called negative gearing.
    Because they were making capital growth which is profit.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information