Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Value Added to Society by Idle Shareholders and Landlords

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    weldone has a decent argument for those cases where existing landowners lobby and get passed laws which limit supply of new housing. That's a hell of a racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    just call them nimbys
    This is where I'd probably side with the likes of PEWS about government corruption etc. Cities like Auckland should be building up and replacing inner-city single unit dwellings as much as they can.

Every so often there will be a proposal to build an apartment block in inner city suburbs and all you hear is "muh view, muh neighbourhood, muh house prices"
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    This is where I'd probably side with the likes of PEWS about government corruption etc. Cities like Auckland should be building up and replacing inner-city single unit dwellings as much as they can.

Every so often there will be a proposal to build an apartment block in inner city suburbs and all you hear is "muh view, muh neighbourhood, muh house prices"
    This is just a problem with the way local politics works in NZ (and probably elsewhere) tbf. Nobody cares about local elections, so nobody votes in them besides the people who have a direct financial interest in the systems and rules that are put in place - i.e. rate-paying land owners. As a result the elected representatives only end up representing wealthy land-owners who have a stake in the perpetuation of the status quo.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    What do you gain in this system though? Just keep some people from getting filthy rich?
    Are you seriously asking this? Are you seriously asking what we gain by giving ownership to those who work? Well we get better quality, better productivity from them in a way that has never been seen before. A direct share of profit will work like magic for 90%+ of the employees. The human civilization will move on a path of progress in a much faster way.

Can't believe someone as intelligent as you would ask this question. And no, my goal is not to keep some people from getting filthy rich - that's just a side-effect.
    Last edited by weldone; 07-03-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

weldone go on chapo
    nightprowler10 and Dan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    This is just a problem with the way local politics works in NZ (and probably elsewhere) tbf. Nobody cares about local elections, so nobody votes in them besides the people who have a direct financial interest in the systems and rules that are put in place - i.e. rate-paying land owners. As a result the elected representatives only end up representing wealthy land-owners who have a stake in the perpetuation of the status quo.
    Happens all over the world. I'm in an urbanist group on Facebook and there's often discussion on the latest development that would ease housing demands and prices that gets scuppered by NIMBYs and wealthy land owners. But yes, it ultimately stems from a lack of engagement in local government, with those that want to keep their views or increase their profits using the system to their ends.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Are you seriously asking this? Are you seriously asking what we gain by giving ownership to those who work? Well we get better quality, better productivity from them in a way that has never been seen before. A direct share of profit will work like magic for 90%+ of the employees. The human civilization will move on a path of progress in a much faster way.

Can't believe someone as intelligent as you would ask this question. And no, my goal is not to keep some people from getting filthy rich - that's just a side-effect.
    You are looking at one hypothetical firm that gets debt funding, is able to pay interests year over year, and has enough profits left over to distribute to employees. Those are too many conditions that need to be satisfied and I suspect they may not not in most cases. What about the ventures that never get funded because creditors will "stay away". And the ventures that do get funded at 50% interest debt but will be under stress from pressures of servicing debt at such high interest rate?
    Last edited by ankitj; 07-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Auckland will never be solved because it can only be solved by central government dictating the opening of the market to high rise residential with an iron fist. The first government to do that will not get re-elected because Auckland has 1.5 of the 4 mill people in NZ.

Vote phlegm. In one term I will solve the housing crisis with the free market and also the traffic and job market by introducing frecciarossa trains. Imagine living in Hamilton and working in Auckland without 4 hours travel every day. Imagine travelling from Auckland to Wellington in 3 hours
    Last edited by Flem274*; 07-03-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    NZTailender likes this.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Build housing underground.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Auckland will never be solved because it can only be solved by central government dictating the opening of the market to high rise residential with an iron fist. The first government to do that will not get re-elected because Auckland has 1.5 of the 4 mill people in NZ.

Vote phlegm. In one term I will solve the housing crisis with the free market and also the traffic and job market by introducing frecciarossa trains. Imagine living in Hamilton and working in Auckland without 4 hours travel every day. Imagine travelling from Auckland to Wellington in 3 hours
    We don't have nearly enough population to sustain the building of a high speed rail network between cities

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    I was taking the piss

State Vice-Captain
    It gets suggested quite a lot on reddit and elsewhere

I'd love high speed rail errywhere but it's not sustainable in New Zealand as it stands.

There's talks of creating a commuter service between Auckland, Hamilton and Rotorua though. That's a good move imo.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Shareholders help the company raise capital, which (in most cases) benefits society.
    Oh mate. Thatís so cute.

Aw ****, why are you back?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    I was called back to lift the otherwise abject standards which have been on display this past week.
    Last edited by Burgey; 10-03-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information