Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 288
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Value Added to Society by Idle Shareholders and Landlords

  1. #226
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,502
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Right Hitler. I know you want the market to decide who should be sent to concentration camp, but there are certain things that can't be left to market.
    Come on man. When I inovked Mao, I was (a) not calling you Mao; (b) making a point about how leaders in past such as Mao have gone wrong with the belief that beyond a rocky transition lies utopia. Your Hitler reference is completely random and doesn't aid in your reasoning. I am sure you can understand implied meanings and respond to them (my point when I mentioned Mao wasn't particularly deep or layered anyway).
    Last edited by ankitj; 13-03-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

  2. #227
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    So the thing about capital is that you can’t just choose to have lots of it.
    You can convince people to lend you some if your idea is convincing enough, I suppose, although good luck coming up with an idea immediately good enough to be able to sustain interest repayments of 23%.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

  3. #228
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,999
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    I was (a) not calling you Mao
    I dunno, it was consistent with you calling me communist in the previous post.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

  4. #229
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,497
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    I dunno, it was consistent with you calling me communist in the previous post.
    Tbh what you're suggesting is preeeetty communist, except frankly even more vague.


  5. #230
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Tbh what you're suggesting is preeeetty communist, except frankly even more vague.
    opposite of communist in the 'state ownership' sense...but yes consistent with communism in the 'workers owning the means of production' sense...but similarly consistent with capitalism in the 'markets decide rate' sense...so don't think you can bracket the idea one way or the other
    Last edited by weldone; 13-03-2019 at 06:56 AM.

  6. #231
    Hall of Fame Member harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    18,133
    Would be nice to not have stock markets, must be said.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  7. #232
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,532
    I thought weldone’s Cricket Chat career was bad, then I read this thread. Dear lord.

  8. #233
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,999
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I thought weldone’s Cricket Chat career was bad, then I read this thread. Dear lord.
    Don't worry, the feelings are mutual

  9. #234
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,502
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    I dunno, it was consistent with you calling me communist in the previous post.
    I genuinely thought you will see that it was meant to be a joke post.

  10. #235
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,532
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    I genuinely thought you will see that it was meant to be a joke post.
    Have you not encountered him before or something?

  11. #236
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You can convince people to lend you some if your idea is convincing enough, I suppose, although good luck coming up with an idea immediately good enough to be able to sustain interest repayments of 23%.
    But you’d still be partaking in the same type of deal: someone else brings the cash and you do the work. You can mess around with the structure of the deal you strike, but you can’t simply choose to take the other side of it. You either have capital or you don’t.

  12. #237
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,150
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    opposite of communist in the 'state ownership' sense...but yes consistent with communism in the 'workers owning the means of production' sense...but similarly consistent with capitalism in the 'markets decide rate' sense...so don't think you can bracket the idea one way or the other
    But if you're imposing a structure / framework within which that market must operate, and you're constraining it, you aren't really letting the market decide, are you? I don't always think that's a bad thing, mind you, but I don't think you can dress this idea up as some sort of ode to market forces. If you were going to do that, you'd just let people invest in the company by, you know, buying equity in it, wouldn't you?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  13. #238
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    But if you're imposing a structure / framework within which that market must operate, and you're constraining it, you aren't really letting the market decide, are you? I don't always think that's a bad thing, mind you, but I don't think you can dress this idea up as some sort of ode to market forces. If you were going to do that, you'd just let people invest in the company by, you know, buying equity in it, wouldn't you?
    O yea, as is already evident from my reply to Ankit's post earlier I don't believe every decision can be left to market. Market can't be allowed to decide how many children will die hungry in sub-Saharan Africa. Market can't be allowed to decide who will be sent to Nazi concentration camp, or how many nuclear bombs the world should make. This line of thought is fully consistent with libertarian socialistic viewpoint (but Ausage obviously doesn't know because he's naive and hasn't ever read anything about libertarian socialism).

    From your post you seem to be on the same page about this - so I won't spend more effort convincing you about this.

  14. #239
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,532
    Because the market produces government death camps
    Ikki likes this.

  15. #240
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,999
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Because the market produces government death camps
    will if everything is left to market lol

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Smilies you'd like to see added/replaced
    By benchmark00 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 28-05-2011, 03:42 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •