cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Surrogacy contracts

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.

Surrogacy contracts

Should these be legally enforceable?

I don't know what it is like in the rest of the world, but in the UK such agreements are not legally binding in any form. Which, in my view is probably correct.

However, I was surprised the other day when I asked a class full of students this question, and they almost all said that yeah, they absolutely should be. I did not think this would be the mainstream view at all.

Tough issue.

I think if both the sperm and the egg are donated then they should be relatively binding.

If just the sperm is donated then I don't know.

Also...it's kinda the woman's body up until term. So...yeah it's a tough one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

TNT
    My initial thoughts are a "mothers bond" v "surrogate parents bond".

Very distressing for both but I tend to lean towards "mothers bond".
    If you nick it walk

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Tough issue.

I think if both the sperm and the egg are donated then they should be relatively binding.

If just the sperm is donated then I don't know.

Also...it's kinda the woman's body up until term. So...yeah it's a tough one.
    Yeah, this is what it boils down to for me. Whilst there is definitely a nuance that affects things re: whether both sperm and egg are donated, I am not sure exactly how this should effect things. But the fact that it is the woman's body regardless is the kicker here for me.

I guess the argument is that an autonomous and informed person should be able to make their own decisions about body usage, which includes the ability to enter into contractual agreements etc. and presumably be bound by such.

But at the same time, if we think about situations involving surrogate mothers who have never had a child before, how can they be expected to know the emotional and physical commitment etc. and how that will effect them? For such persons to be bound by a contract regarding handing over the baby upon birth...nnnngh that just does not feel right to me at all.

Think it should only be legally enforcable after the kid has lived with the surrogate parents for a certain amount of time.

Just after birth, no.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Well after the kid has lived with the parents for a while they would likely have legally adopted the kid anyway, so there wouldn't be much option to go back on the agreement after that in any event.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    What's the going rate for a surrogate kid these days anyway?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yes, but the surrogate parents must buy a beanie baby surrogate upon the biological parents request as a fair exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

That doesn't really answer my question though. What's the going rate? If the surrogate parents have invested significant money and time into this exercise, then the bargain should be kept. Market forces have set a price for the property in question, and how often are we lectured to around these parts that nothing is more important than the free market and individual property rights?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I don't think the free market should be able to determine ownership of children.

We should all belong to the government.

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    That doesn't really answer my question though. What's the going rate? If the surrogate parents have invested significant money and time into this exercise, then the bargain should be kept. Market forces have set a price for the property in question, and how often are we lectured to around these parts that nothing is more important than the free market and individual property rights?
    Opens up a whole new range of scenario's. What if the surrogate mother gets a better offer from a rich couple who will pay more, can she sell to the highest bidder?.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Opens up a whole new range of scenario's. What if the surrogate mother gets a better offer from a rich couple who will pay more, can she sell to the highest bidder?.
    No, because once you have a contract, then you have established private property rights in the child, so there's no way the sanctity of the original couple's proprietary interest in the child can be usurped. Same if the mother wants to keep the child. Markets and private property uber alles I'm afraid. She has to suck it up.

I know that might sound extreme, but I'm afraid you are not allowed to criticize me for holding this point of view, because I am consistent. And that's really, really important. Even if all evidence and sense of decency is against me, I'm consistent and that somehow makes me pure.

Hey, the choice to renege shouldn't necessarily be cost free. The couple in question should be able to demand some reimbursement if they wish to.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No, because once you have a contract, then you have established private property rights in the child, so there's no way the sanctity of the original couple's proprietary interest in the child can be usurped. Same if the mother wants to keep the child. Markets and private property uber alles I'm afraid. She has to suck it up.

I know that might sound extreme, but I'm afraid you are not allowed to criticize me for holding this point of view, because I am consistent. And that's really, really important. Even if all evidence and sense of decency is against me, I'm consistent and that somehow makes me pure.
    I don't know if you're trolling or genuinely this obtuse but either way I'm embarrassed for you.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Noooooo. They own that child. It's in a contract. A sacred pact between the parties which cannot and should not be broken.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information