Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: Totalitarianism gone mad AKA the China thread

Even worse than "Don't do anything you wouldn't with people watching". Okay thanks I'll never have *** then
    Groundking likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    It's just terrible. It's possible to do a really rigorous dissection of how awful the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" ethos is. But often the most effective way of showing someone saying such things what a dick they are being is to ask them to take their clothes off.
    zorax likes this.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    you'd think a country treated like trash by japan in ww2 would have a heart when the boots are on their own feet

very mid 1930s situation to me. the world needs to leave china out in the cold not just for this but for their general imperial ambitions. idgaf if their own citizens think life is great, the ccp can go do one.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Vice-Captain
    Will never happen, China's too important for capital.

Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Will never happen, China's too important for capital.
    They said this in 1914 too.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

International Vice-Captain
    I'm not talking about war.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    We're in the 20th week of protests today. The police continue to fail to convict the gangs and individuals that have been assaulting protesters and pro democracy leaders. There have been a few suspicious suicides recently that the police have refused to investigate or look into further. And still no police force member or leader has been held accountable for the brutality and harassment of innocent Hong Kongers.

District elections are to be held in November. The govt is thinking of delaying them, claiming safety concerns.

Economy has suffered a bit of a slowdown. The MTR closing early every night for 'repairs' has kind of killed the nightlife too. There has been an increase in people using public buses, putting them under strain and leading to more accidents and delays. I myself have been in a minor bus accident. I had to get off and use the train. And then the next day, the bus I was on stopped and asked everyone to get off - they couldn't proceed further due to traffic congestion on account of another protest, which lead to the MTR shutting down stations and police shutting down roads

The government clearly cares a lot more about protecting the infrastructure and the feelings of the HKPF and Beijing than they do about protecting the actual people of HK.

The mask ban hasn't been really enforced - lots of masked protesters still on the streets. But they now have something they can charge arrested protesters for if they fail to find any other evidence of wrong doing.

Definitely feels like there have been less people out on the streets protesting, but the support for the movement still feels strong. And even those who don't support the means of the protesters are more disappointed in the government than they are with anyone else.

No news on a second dialogue session with Carrie Lam. The first one hasn't really amounted to anything yet.

A couple of days ago, a group of masked ethnic minority (brown) dudes beat up a pro democracy politician with hammers. There were fears within the South Asian community that protesters would attack and vandalise key buildings and stores in response. Instead, the protests today have been nothing but supportive, warm and friendly towards the HK brown community, with lots of ethnic minorities participating as well. Most of the protest was peaceful, but you still had people vandalising the MTR entrances, setting fires, and attacking known targets like they usually do.

The HKPF, in their infinite wisdom, deployed the water cannon to clear the illegal gathering and ended up spraying Hong Kong's biggest mosque with blue dye.
    Last edited by zorax; 20-10-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    Groundking likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

BREAKING: Hong Kong bans activist Joshua Wong from standing in district election race https://app.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/2...election-race/

Fuel on fire

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Seems a particularly counterproductive move.

Is there much in the way of polling done over there for these elections? Be interesting to know whether the candidates aligned more or less with China are polling better.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Not that I'm aware of

The pro China parties usually do well in the elections because they play the game better than the democrats - stuff like reaching out to far away districts for votes, offering shuttle bus services to polling booths for their potential voters, and not having much campaigning against each other at each district. The pro democracy political parties still kinda compete against each other and generally don't put in the same amount of leg work during election time.

But let's see how this year's elections turn out.
    Burgey likes this.

The Hong Kong Free Press -an independent news organisation- is being blocked on the public computers available at the Hong Kong Airport:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/3...s-pcs-airport/

Bye bye free speech :'(

RIP Chow Tsz Lok

International Debutant srbhkshk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    RIP Chow Tsz Lok
    Is the situation worsening zorax? What do you see for the future?

I think this is now status quo. Pockets of chaos every weekend. Legitmised police brutality. HK turning into a defacto police state as it does not seem they will be held accountable for their actions at any point. A kid got stabbed by a mainland Chinese man and sliced open to the point his guts were spilling out, the assailant got charges for assault. A pro-Beijing politician got stabbed with superficial wounds, his assiailant has been charged with attempted murder. This kind of double standard is becoming increasingly normalised, with the police repeatedly turning a blind eye to violence towards protestors and pro-democracy figures. Atleast 7 pro democracy politicians have been attacked so far, but only one pro Beijing figure. They've also repeatedly stormed private residences, malls, colonies and other areas to carry out arrests, without warrants or further notice. Very typical of Mainland Chinese police who do not believe in such things. They feel like just because they're the police they can go anywhere and do anything with impunity, and they expect people to be scared and respect their authority. But when people stand up to them or challenge the legality of their actions, they get arrested for obstructing justice or eat a face full of pepper spray for their troubles. Some have been beaten up.

What this means is that there have been lots of unjustified arrests. Only 17% of the 3000+ arrests so far have been charged with a crime. People who have been arrested have spoken out about how the administrative police staff are constantly apologising and releasing people, and that they're overburdened by all the work caused by the frontline police just blindly arresting anyone they can get their hands on. They've arrested journalists, first aid volunteers, social workers, innocent bystanders, the mentally ill and even kids as young as 13. I think they arrested an 11 year old too IIRC, and in one case they arrested two parents with their kid left crying in the street. Just recently 6-7 pro democracy legislators have been arrested for their involvement in the protests, with district elections just a few weeks away.

According to a recent survey, around 88% of HKers have been exposed to tear gas apparently, a number that I don't think is true, but there is no doubt our air is filthy with the stuff. But now people are scared of walking around in face masks because they don't want to be falsely arrested and harassed by the cops. Black clothing has also been stigmatised. Tons of businesses and economies are now struggling, being forced to close up shop.

But in the face of all this, protests continue. University graduations have been going on lately and all have featured some sort of protest. Graduates wearing masks and carrying banners and stuff. Chow Tsk Lok's death was mourned by 100,000 people in Tamar park alone, with several other impromptu sessions taking place across HK.

The chants now have changed from calling for unity and support, to now calling for revenge.

Not sure how this will play our. ATM the rumour mills are that Beijing will look to replace Carrie Lam by March 2020, and people speculate this means they'll instill a leader that is harder on the protests. They've spoken about making reforms, which is being taken as a sign that they will look to tighten their grip on the city. That would be a very bad sign for anyone that has been involved with the protests, or that has already openly stated that they are pro democracy.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread Information