Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: The Jordan Peterson thread

First Class Debutant
    I was wondering who this Jordan Peterson fellow was and why he deserved a thread. Now I know I wish I didn't know. He seems to be an airhead spewing nonsense.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Yeah he's a big fan of limited overs iirc.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Anyway fwiw I've pretty much gone off the guy as well. The word salad spell must have worn off.
    Haha, fair play for saying so. The internet can make it kind of hard to disown opinions you don't hold any more. There's a written record of it all.
    Ausage and Prince EWS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha, fair play for saying so. The internet can make it kind of hard to disown opinions you don't hold any more. There's a written record of it all.
    Don't hate him ftr. Still don't think the mainstream/left criticisms really hold, though Hendrix's kinds of criticism resonate more as do criticisms of his spiritual content.
    Last edited by Ausage; 01-07-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I didn’t agree with many of the left’s criticisms either. It always felt like Peterson crept them out and they were trying to rationalise that instinct.

IMO he’s just a bit odd and not very interesting, nothing more or less. It’s weird that people had such strong opinions of him.
    Prince EWS, trundler and Pothas like this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    His interview with that Channel 4 reporter was an absolute masterclass in how to deal with intellectually dishonest arguments (e.g. non-sequiturs, ad hominems, straw manning, putting words in your mouth etc.) but other than that I have never really found him interesting enough to learn a great deal about his substantive views either tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I didn’t agree with many of the left’s criticisms either. It always felt like Peterson crept them out and they were trying to rationalise that instinct.

IMO he’s just a bit odd and not very interesting, nothing more or less. It’s weird that people had such strong opinions of him.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

U19 12th Man
    A pre-fame Peterson explaining his future grift while simultaneously insulting his future fanboys:

"Conservative political belief is linked to fast information processing requiring comparatively little effort, time, or awareness. In support of this idea, experimentally-induced gut-level rather than controlled cerebral processing has in fact been found to enhance conservatism. [...] Conservative political beliefs were augmented [heightened] whenever effortful thought-processing was disrupted–by factors as diverse as alcohol intoxication, cognitive load, and time pressure. Moreover, cognitive ability is inversely correlated with conservative political beliefs. It seems conceivable, then, that emotional and motivational arousal interferes with effortful cognitive processing, and this subsequently enhances the probability of adopting conservative beliefs. In sum, conservative ideology may be attractive to individuals who are in a state of arousal [uncertainty/chaos] because it minimizes potential for further arousal [uncertainty/chaos]/" - Jordan Peterson (https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0083333 )
    weldone likes this.

U19 12th Man
    A pre-fame Peterson hilariously - and prophetically - summed up by two Canadian Judges, who threw him out of their courts:

"[Dr. Peterson's testimony] comes as close to “junk science” as anything that I have ever been asked to consider. [...] It is astonishing in my opinion that Dr. Peterson would feel that this was good science. [...] Dr. Peterson has no expertise in that area. [...] The apparent but unfounded arrogance of Dr. Peterson found throughout this report, and for that matter in some of the other reports, is troubling and give rise to the question of whether his reports are not biased in more than one fashion. That there can be more than one type of bias when it comes to experts is explored by Professor David Paciocco in his article “Taking a ‘Goudge’ out of Bluster and Blarney: an ‘Evidence-Based Approach’ to Expert Testimony”. On page 18 of his paper, Professor Paciocco lists and defines many possible types of bias, including: lack of independence bias; adversarial bias; selection bias; team bias; professional interest bias; association bias; and noble cause distortion bias. I venture the opinion that Dr. Peterson suffers from at least two, if not three, of those." - Judge Roger Timms (https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...nlii80104.html)

"The situation here is even more remote. It is difficult to see how Dr. Peterson's technique of assessing the personality of a person for his private consulting business satisfies the Daubert factors to make it admissible for a forensic purpose. Dr. Peterson provided no evidence [...]. That is not scientific validation. [...] Dr. Peterson provided no rate of error or accepted deviations. In fact, he claimed, without any proof, that his assessment tool cannot be deceived while other personality assessment techniques can be. [...] I would close discussion of the judge's ruling on Dr. Peterson's proposed expert evidence by expressing concern about the decision to attempt to proffer Dr. Peterson as an expert witness on areas that he was clearly not qualified as he had no background whatsoever [...]. This decision unnecessarily complicated and delayed this trial and is proof positive of the concern expressed in D.D. (at para. 56) of the detrimental impact on the justice system of attempting to use dubious expert opinion." - Justice Marc M. Monnin (https://www.canlii.org/en/mb/mbca/do...014mbca70.html)

And other experts on his quackdom:

"Peterson has built a case on false facts and distortions of general observations from the scientific literature. Not only does he get the evidence wrong, he can't construct any kind of logical argument, distorting evidence to fit an agenda [...] It's appalling the degree to which this man is asserting nonsense with such smug confidence. This man is lying to you." - Paul Myers (biologist)

"Peterson’s presentation, given the lack of theological literacy of our time, contains just enough jargon and scriptural references to fool a lot of people into thinking he knows what he’s talking about. He does not. If his psychology is suspect, his theology is absolutely insidious." - Dr Adam A. J. DeVille

"Peterson is fundamentally mischaracterizing Bill C-16. I don’t think there’s any legal expert that would say that [misgendering] would meet the threshold for hate speech in Canada. Our courts have a very high threshold for what kind of comments actually constitutes hate speech, and the nature of speech would have to be much more extreme than simply pronoun misuse. If he advocated genocide against trans people, he would be in violation, but misusing pronouns is not what that provision of the code is about." - B. Cossman (Head of Law, UOT)

Banned
    Weirdly, I keep seeing many young Canadians reading his book on my train to work every day. Perhaps he resonates with some. One of my liberal friends hated him but hasnt come up with a valid reason yet other than PC stuff.

International Vice-Captain
    Welp, addicted to benzos

Wait, you mean to say that his meat only diet hadn't cured him of all possible ailments?

You mean to say the anti-scientific health advice he and his daughter are profiting from may not address complex health issues after all?

*this is not schadenfreude, I legitimately think someone needs to sue him for this stuff. As a clinical psychologist he is some form of health practitioner. People will die following his and his daughter's advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

International Vice-Captain
    There's a non-zero possibility he'll come out of rehab, blame it all on his drug addiction and start his redemption grift.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I feel sorry for hating on him (well, actually, some of his sillier views) now.

Hope he recovers soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

The guy is Kramer from Seinfeld.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread Information