cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: In A Libertarian state how would the poor survive?

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar

In A Libertarian state how would the poor survive?

I know they are some who would consider themselves libertarians here which is fine as there is elements I and am sure many others can admire.

However one issue I have always been perplexed by and an accusation aimed at the movement is, Libertarians offers nothing for the poor and most vulnerable in the world. This thread was inspired by a chap who is aiming to represent the LP party in 2020 who is adamant the welfare state needs to die as obviously those that depend on it will all instantly go get well paid jobs.

Feedback appreciated.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    I know they are some who would consider themselves libertarians here which is fine as there is elements I and am sure many others can admire.

However one issue I have always been perplexed by and an accusation aimed at the movement is, Libertarians offers nothing for the poor and most vulnerable in the world. This thread was inspired by a chap who is aiming to represent the LP party in 2020 who is adamant the welfare state needs to die as obviously those that depend on it will all instantly go get well paid jobs.

Feedback appreciated.
    An accusation that is often aimed at the moon is that it is made out of cheese.
    Niall likes this.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    An accusation that is often aimed at the moon is that it is made out of cheese.
    Fair point, just curious to see if I can some decent debate going. Probably would have helped if the OP was a little better.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    To be fair, you're actually right. In many ways Libertarianism does offer nothing to the poor. But it offers that same "nothing" to everybody else as well, which is basically its appeal.
    Niall, zorax and Indipper like this.

Also just ftr, I would not identify as a libertarian myself., though I probably ascribe to more of its core tenets than any other comparable ideology. I am not sure what I would identify myself as quite frankly. Just sledger/some idiot I guess.
    Niall likes this.

I think the answer is that private charities would be set up by individuals out of the goodness of their heart and these would operate far more efficiently than government welfare systems
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    In short: you will create a society that will be so rich so as to provide the bare minimums most cost effectively and also that charities will take up the slack for those that have serious issues. I haven't studied it in depth but Milton Friedman claimed that most of the eleemosynary and protection societies were born out of these rich, freer, times.

It means to live in reality: there will never be a utopia, even as government takes over more functions it does not guarantee that there will be no more poor people - and in the long run it creates a dependence that guarantees poor people.

If not for capitalism, most of the world would still be largely poor. It is the greatest creator of wealth and it is evidenced by the fact that even the poorest in the most capitalistic countries (or traditionally capitalistic) live significantly better than most of the world and most people that have ever existed in history. The question is really: would you rather have a bigger piece of a small pie or a smaller piece of a big pie? Inherent in that point is that in order to create prosperity, you need to allow people to create and do things which allows them to build up the capital to do more great things - this is a value added for everyone, even if those at the top get richer. If you don't do that, only the government will ever have enough capital to be able to do significant things and it will do a far smaller number of them at a far greater cost.
    Last edited by Ikki; 11-07-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Niall likes this.
    ★★★★★

Lot of upcoming road construction and aviation design projects coming up from what I hear.
    trundler, Niall, Gnske and 1 others like this.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I think the answer is that private charities would be set up by individuals out of the goodness of their heart and these would operate far more efficiently than government welfare systems
    The problem with charity is in giving to any particular cause youíre deciding who or what is and isnít worthy of your valuable, scarce $1 a month.
    Niall and trundler like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Cannibalism
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

The best time was when cribb and I made fake profiles on plentyoffish and posed as libertarian girls
    Prince EWS, harsh.ag, Shri and 3 others like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The best time was when cribb and I made fake profiles on plentyoffish and posed as libertarian girls
    The amount of desperate guys totally willing to become libertarians even after we framed it terribly was pretty eye opening.
    Shri likes this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Remember kids, only punch Nazis when they steal your bell
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar Hayat
    Chinese guy comes in

It was fantastic. Heading back from the pub half cut atm, might try it again when I get in

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    In short: you will create a society that will be so rich so as to provide the bare minimums most cost effectively and also that charities will take up the slack for those that have serious issues. I haven't studied it in depth but Milton Friedman claimed that most of the eleemosynary and protection societies were born out of these rich, freer, times.

It means to live in reality: there will never be a utopia, even as government takes over more functions it does not guarantee that there will be no more poor people - and in the long run it creates a dependence that guarantees poor people.
    I see.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information