cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 542
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Socialism and also ethics discussion thread

  1. #46
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    14,934
    That's kind of like a cop wanting thieves to exist so he can then in turn save people and feel good about it.

    Exploitation of others is not a good reason to hold the political views you hold. It seems like you're lying to yourself just to make yourself feel better. I think it's fine if you disagree with the system and yet work within it to the best you can anyway.
    Last edited by Ikki; 19-11-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    NotMcKenzie likes this.
    ★★★★★

  2. #47
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    That's kind of like a cop wanting thieves to exist so he can then in turn save people and feel good about it.
    No, there's an important distinction. I'm more like a cop wanting thieves to exist not because of the moral reason that I want to feel good about solving crime but for the pragmatic reason that I enjoy the intellectual stimulation from the cases themselves, regardless of whether i'm saving people from the big bad government etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    It seems like you're lying to yourself just to make yourself feel better. I think it's fine if you disagree with the system and yet work within it to the best you can anyway.
    On the contrary, I think I'm facing reality. I've just come to accept the fact that long term intellectual job satisfaction on a day-to-day basis is more important to me than my macro political beliefs that I don't even hold particularly strongly.

    Yes, I agree that this is not a reason or a serious argument at all for big government to exist. I just happen to have a huge personal investment in the issue influencing my politics.
    harsh.ag likes this.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  3. #48
    Global Moderator harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    No, there's an important distinction. I'm more like a cop wanting thieves to exist not because of the moral reason that I want to feel good about solving crime but for the pragmatic reason that I enjoy the intellectual stimulation from the cases themselves, regardless of whether i'm saving people from the big bad government etc.
    Teja when made to work in a small government state - "What is the use of having brains in our profession? I know well that I have it in me to make my name famous. No man lives or has ever lived who has brought the same amount of study and of natural talent to the legal profession which I have done. And what is the result? There are no cases to crack, or, at most, some bungling tax fraud with a shelter so transparent that even a public defender can see through it.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  4. #49
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    No, there's an important distinction. I'm more like a cop wanting thieves to exist not because of the moral reason that I want to feel good about solving crime but for the pragmatic reason that I enjoy the intellectual stimulation from the cases themselves, regardless of whether i'm saving people from the big bad government etc.
    While I appreciate your honesty, I don't think there's really a meaningful distinction here. That it makes you feel good intellectually over the cop (or Munchhausen practitioner) who feels good when his/her ego is stroked is pretty irrelevant. Either way it's an entirely self serving position that I'd be entirely ashamed to hold.

    Props to you for coming out and saying it though.
    Ikki, NotMcKenzie and Starfighter like this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

    RIP Craig


  5. #50
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,977
    #historicaldeterminism
    Ikki likes this.

  6. #51
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    It's an entirely self-serving position
    I agree. Is it materially different in any way though from people voting for someone who promises they will get their manufacturing jobs back for that reason alone, or people voting for someone who promises tax cuts not for higher moral imperative but because they want to be taxed less? Isn't that the basis of all democracy, people with free will making self-serving political decisions in an election? (I'm aware of tyranny of the majority libertarian arguments against it but I'm assuming that you're a believer in democracy)

    that I'd be entirely ashamed to hold
    I get where you're coming from. I'd be too if my macro political beliefs formed a strong part of my identity. They used to for me but they don't anymore. There's this great Budhha quote about how the fool worries about the origin of the universe, the nature of reality, the metaphysics of existence etc. but the wise man just knows his responsibilities and adheres to them well - I don't mean to use those phrases to describe people who have strong political beliefs but the Buddhist outlook has really helped me out in being happy in life. I essentially believe in not being too invested in issues that I have very little control over, such as politics for the reason that my number one priority in life is my happiness and I want to consciously choose to only emotionally invest in issues I have control over.

    Trump being a jackass or government tyranny or the performance of my sports team are things that I have very little control over so I try to slowly detach my emotional investment from those things and focus it on things like my professional responsibilities and my health and well being which are things that I can control. I basically want my happiness to be decided by quantifiable things that I have direct control over, which can lead to a very self-serving POV of the world This is because, IMO, the minute a big part of your identity is in relation to your moral/political outlook, extraneous events can affect you personally which is very sub-optimal for me.

    Obviously, I can't have complete control over things which affect my happiness - I can't control the health of people I care about, for example, but I try to restrict the things I am invested in to the maximum extent possible to the things i that have control over.

    I fully understand that the above is an extremely self-serving perspective of the world, I just happen to value my personal happiness and peace of mind as the highest priority in life. I also respect and completely understand people who view the happiness of the majority or their moral principles above their personal, self serving interests - I just don't share their outlook of the world.
    Last edited by Teja.; 19-11-2017 at 03:36 AM.

  7. #52
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,977
    I believe socialism would be a better system to run a society on than capitalism if it could work. But the 100+ year old challenge still remains:

    Can anyone solve the socialist calculation problem? Unfortunately for the disgruntled intellectual, market anarchy feeds people whilst a planned system can't. This of course is no impediment to a mixed model.

    And no the old quip, 'we will leave one nation in the world capitalist so we know what to charge for everything' isn't a suitable solution either.
    Ikki likes this.

  8. #53
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I agree. Is it materially different in any way though from people voting for someone who promises they will get their manufacturing jobs back for that reason alone, or people voting for someone who promises tax cuts not for higher moral imperative but because they want to be taxed less? Isn't that the basis of all democracy, people with free will making self-serving political decisions in an election? (I'm aware of tyranny of the majority libertarian arguments against it but I'm assuming that you're a believer in democracy)
    It's hugely different to the worker who's voting for his manufacturing job. That worker (rightly or wrongly) views the prospect of job stability as a necessity for the survival for him an his family. While I wouldn't agree with his political views I would certainly have sympathy for the pressures driving them. The self interested tax cut is of a similar vein, albeit with less immediacy. There's also the fact that most of the people you're referencing aren't really aware of the possibility of a world without big government and those that are probably don't support it. Your argument is different (or at least I'm interpreting it differently). You're an intelligent, presumably hard working individual. If a person like you can't succeed/thrive in a world without government then the damn thing's a failure which you don't seem to think it will be. Your motivation is solely your own pleasure here.

    I don't even think the argument that a world without government would hold nothing interesting for you to pursue remotely holds up to scrutiny anyway. Even if it did, is there anything wrong with just sitting back using computer games or posting on forums as your intellectual masturbation like the rest of us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I get where you're coming from. I'd be too if my macro political beliefs formed a strong part of my identity. They used to for me but they don't anymore. There's this great Budhha quote about how the fool worries about the origin of the universe, the nature of reality, the metaphysics of existence etc. but the wise man just knows his responsibilities and adheres to them well - I don't mean to use those phrases to describe people who have strong political beliefs but the Buddhist outlook has really helped me out in being happy in life. I essentially believe in not being too invested in issues that I have very little control over, such as politics for the reason that my number one priority in life is my happiness and I want to consciously choose to only emotionally invest in issues I have control over.

    Trump being a jackass or government tyranny or the performance of my sports team are things that I have very little control over so I try to slowly detach my emotional investment from those things and focus it on things like my professional responsibilities and my health and well being which are things that I can control. I basically want my happiness to be decided by quantifiable things that I have direct control over, which can lead to a very self-serving POV of the world This is because, IMO, the minute a big part of your identity is in relation to your moral/political outlook, extraneous events can affect you personally which is very sub-optimal for me.

    Obviously, I can't have complete control over things which affect my happiness - I can't control the health of people I care about, for example, but I try to restrict the things I am invested in to the maximum extent possible to the things i that have control over.

    I fully understand that the above is an extremely self-serving perspective of the world, I just happen to value my personal happiness and peace of mind as the highest priority in life. I also respect and completely understand people who view the happiness of the majority or their moral principles above their personal, self serving interests - I just don't share their outlook of the world.
    I completely understand having (or at least attempting to have) an outlook such as you describe and I certainly don't have an expectation that anyone who's even vaguely politically aware should become some sort of insufferable activist. I think the pursuit of individual happiness is about as noble a goal as can be achieved. A happy populace is a pre requisite for what any of us would deem to be a good world. I don't think being a Libertarian disqualifies you from that outlook in the slightest though.
    NotMcKenzie likes this.

  9. #54
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    27,604
    I took Teja’s post to mean something closer to ‘My preference for small government is so marginal and uncertain that it carries almost no weight’ than ‘Small government is definitely far better but I only care about myself’.

  10. #55
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I took Teja’s post to mean something closer to ‘My preference for small government is so marginal and uncertain that it carries almost no weight’ than ‘Small government is definitely far better but I only care about myself’.
    Yeah, my actual political position is close to the former with 'especially because I have wanted to work in an industry fueled by big government problems since i was 14 and work in it now.' added to it. I obviously care about politics to some extent, I'm not saying I'd welcome a fascist state if they paid me $5m a year to smoke weed and debate eastern philosophy. It's just that the libertarian agenda replacing current social democracy is ideologically a marginal issue for me and doesn't even register compared to the personal adjustment costs I'd have with the status quo being replaced.

    As I said in the original post, I'm definitely playing devil's advocate and playing it up a bit to generate discussion.

  11. #56
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    No, there's an important distinction. I'm more like a cop wanting thieves to exist not because of the moral reason that I want to feel good about solving crime but for the pragmatic reason that I enjoy the intellectual stimulation from the cases themselves, regardless of whether i'm saving people from the big bad government etc.
    Fair enough, either way I consider that pretty ****** reasoning. As if your interest in solving crimes should rise above the importance of crime being lessened.

    On the contrary, I think I'm facing reality. I've just come to accept the fact that long term intellectual job satisfaction on a day-to-day basis is more important to me than my macro political beliefs that I don't even hold particularly strongly.

    Yes, I agree that this is not a reason or a serious argument at all for big government to exist. I just happen to have a huge personal investment in the issue influencing my politics.
    And yet you engage in plenty of macro political discussions, holding the views opposite to what you think would work, and your defence is because it gives you more intellectual stimulation when people are hurt.

    I applaud you for your honesty but your reasoning is horrific. You could well argue for the solutions you think would work and still be intellectually stimulated in your private life. The two aren't incompatible.

  12. #57
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    48,014
    I don't like the reasoning tbh but I would hazard that the amount of people who share similar reasoning is really high.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

  13. #58
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I agree. Is it materially different in any way though from people voting for someone who promises they will get their manufacturing jobs back for that reason alone, or people voting for someone who promises tax cuts not for higher moral imperative but because they want to be taxed less? Isn't that the basis of all democracy, people with free will making self-serving political decisions in an election? (I'm aware of tyranny of the majority libertarian arguments against it but I'm assuming that you're a believer in democracy)
    Well, at least you're honest about your selfish goals - a lot of people won't admit that they want free college or health care for themselves because they argue from a point of view where it is better for all. That disingenuous starting point becomes the basis of all their flawed arguments.


    I fully understand that the above is an extremely self-serving perspective of the world, I just happen to value my personal happiness and peace of mind as the highest priority in life. I also respect and completely understand people who view the happiness of the majority or their moral principles above their personal, self serving interests - I just don't share their outlook of the world.
    With all due respect, it just sounds like you are creating an excuse for yourself. Your political activity might be minimal if non existent but your beliefs are certainly reflective of your identity.

    I was actually thinking you were intellectually honest but morally corrupt but you're both TBH. This is the kind of thinking that leads to a Nazi or Communist state - and that's not an exaggeration. The ills of the world don't happen overnight but one sin at a time.

    First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.

    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
    You reap the fruits of people who have fought and died for your right to live a relatively peaceful life but you don't have due appreciation for it. Some people think evil is a myth, miles away. As Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote: "the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being."
    Last edited by Ikki; 20-11-2017 at 01:42 AM.

  14. #59
    Global Moderator harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I was actually thinking you were intellectually honest but morally corrupt but you're both TBH. This is the kind of thinking that leads to a Nazi or Communist state - and that's not an exaggeration. The ills of the world don't happen overnight but one sin at a time.

    You reap the fruits of people who have fought and died for your right to live a relatively peaceful life but you don't have due appreciation for it. Some people think evil is a myth, miles away. As Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote: "the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being."
    Jesus Christ Ikki, he clarified later that he only applies this up to a certain point:
    "I'm not saying I'd welcome a fascist state if they paid me $5m a year to smoke weed and debate eastern philosophy. It's just that the libertarian agenda replacing current social democracy is ideologically a marginal issue for me and doesn't even register compared to the personal adjustment costs I'd have with the status quo being replaced."

    Calm your ****, would you.

  15. #60
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    14,934
    That's like saying you'll assault someone regularly but never kill them. He doesn't want a total fascist state, just a slight one (that is incrementally getting bigger) and won't sell out for $5m a year, but doing the job he already does.

    I notice he's trying to create a conversation but if he is being honest about everything then I feel he should receive honesty back.
    Last edited by Ikki; 20-11-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    Prince EWS, Ausage and NotMcKenzie like this.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Custard discussion thread
    By Minion in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 21-05-2016, 11:24 AM
  2. Ethics dilemma: forehead sweat as a ball shiner?
    By LongHopCassidy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28-10-2011, 03:33 AM
  3. The Little League Ethics Challenge
    By Slow Love™ in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24-09-2006, 04:19 PM
  4. ethics
    By nibbs in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24-05-2005, 04:49 PM
  5. Socialism
    By chris.hinton in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •