cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: The New Zealand Politics Thread

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Disappointed and a bit surprised. But yeah there goes National's outside chance at the next election.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    So it's a no to a CGT.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/112...this-afternoon

Massively disappointed by this. I was fairly confident that Jacinda was going to be prepared to sacrifice some of her currently vast political capital to do something really necessary and long overdue. But my guess is that Winnie has declared "over my dead body" at Cabinet. Maybe things will be different after the next election if (as looks likely) Labour and the Greens can form a government on their own. Having said that, everything I've heard suggests that Labour is much closer to NZF and that they'll go with them again in 2020 if NZF make it back into parliament.

Ftr (in response to the earlier queries from strawman) I'm broadly supportive of the TWG's report, though I think it probably doesn't go far enough and that a CGT really should apply to everyone (including the family home). I understand the obvious political reasons why this was never going to fly.
    Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well. Disappointed, but not totally surprised.

State Vice-Captain
    The problem I have with a wide capital gains tax is the current tax legislation has been drafted and amended over the years on the basis that there is no capital gains tax. It would require a massive rewrite of the entire act to introduce it which would take a lot of time and effort. And while the working group have pinpointed the general areas that would need to be amended if it were introduced, there are so many intricacies of the act which are woven together so tightly that to rush this sort of legislation would result in tons of problems (though more work for me...).

That's not a reason why it can't be done at some point in the future - but would need to be done over a much longer timeframe than the one that is left before the election. I am supportive of a wide capital gains tax (including the family home) being implemented, but it is definitely the sort of thing that shouldn't be rushed.

I think that they should have introduced one at the very least on residential property however as that wouldn't be as difficult to draft and introduce.

Not really worth starting a new thread over, but it seems the NZ Herald now has a shiny new paywall. Apparently the lightweight drivel that passes for cutting edge journalism in this rag is now "premium" content.

I can understand why most of the better British broadsheets and the likes of the Washington Post charge for content - they actually contain quality investigative journalism, but the musty old Aunty Herald? Yeah, nah... (deletes NZ Herald bookmark from browser).

Yeah it was a bit disappointing that no capital gains tax and also that it's ruled out for a second term. As Bahnz said it's likely NZ First that are the stumbling block and in a coalition government there's not much that can be done about that. Capital gains tax only one mechanism to try move the needle back from passive capital gains to allow labour earnings to catch up, though I don't know if any others are on the cards either.

Last edited by straw man; 17-05-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    _Ed_ likes this.

International Regular
    Pleased they saw commonsense on the CGT, but wondering what will be in the budget. The fiscal hole seems even larger than what Stephen Joyce predicted and so many policies have been complete disasters.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar

Yeah the use of the word "menace" is clearly OTT. When even the Crusher is saying it's not on, it's a bit over the line.

Doubt he meant any harm at all from it though (and who knows if this is even directly related to the threats against her) but FFS learn to be more careful with your language Seymour. He certainly isn't responsible for what loonies do but as an MP you should be mindful of how your words may affect certain sectors of the public.
    _Ed_ likes this.

Just give it a little tappy, a little tap tap-aroo.
    "David Seymour is dog whistling to racists" seems a lot more over the top and inflammatory than "menace", tbf.
    hendrix likes this.

Yeah thats also a poor line from an MP. Wish people would stop using the term "dog whistling" in a political context. Super lazy.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information