Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: TV Licence Inspectors

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Haha this is such an odd concept at times for me to grasp because my first instinct is always to think of what Singapore does - regulate everything.

Even we don't need a license to watch TV though, that's a bit silly.
    Yeah, it's really dumb because the TV licensing authority isn't actually a government department. It's basically just a private company itself charged with overseeing the administration of the licensing scheme, and so it has no legal power to do more or less anything. This doesn't stop them from being officious ***** about it of course, but unless you actually let them into your house they can't do jack **** to you.

So even if you are of the persuasion that the licensing scheme is good (it's not), the people in charge of enforcing the scheme are completely toothless, which makes a complete mockery of the entire thing.
    Last edited by sledger; 07-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    vcs likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I think a lot of their overt dickish behaviour comes from their lack of teeth (not that I'm advocating giving them teeth, **** no). If they had any legal power to make people pay then they wouldn't have to spend all their time terrorising poor people into doing it. They're kind of like one of those little dogs that bark incessantly to compensate.

A compulsory fee to the government to watch TV sounds like a huge farce. Is the existence of this ever debated by the legislature? The BBC must enjoy a high public approval rating to pull off something like this for so long, not that it's any justification.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    To own a TV in the UK you have to pay £160~ a year for a "license". Money goes to funding the BBC.

Also, for some reason, the body in charge of collecting it are a pack of unspeakable throbbers, absolute ****s. I can't stress strongly enough how rancid they are.

If I believed in anything it would probably get me pretty angry.
    Well they can't be all that bad, they're generous enough to offer 50% off the TV licensing fees to blind people.

International Coach
    Yeah the entire concept of the licence fee is ludicrous IMO. I would pay it anyway were it not compulsory in order to receive the BBC, because as a rule I enjoy a lot of their programming, but that's not a defence of the concept.
    GIMH likes this.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I was sat in court once when some impoverished single mother was up before the beaks for not having a TV licence - in those days most of them were gentlemen farmers who had no concept of the law at all, and the chairman of the bench on this occasion amply proved that when he announced he was going to endorse the poor girl's licence - in fact iirc it was in Basingstoke - pa sledger may therefore have witnessed or heard about the chorus of ridiculing laughter that was brought forth

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    A compulsory fee to the government to watch TV sounds like a huge farce. Is the existence of this ever debated by the legislature? The BBC must enjoy a high public approval rating to pull off something like this for so long, not that it's any justification.
    Any move to abolish it would inevitably be cast as an evil move to cut public services and would play into the hands of the evil private sector, and as a result I think most parties are disinclined to go near it. The Tories clearly hate the BBC though, and the BBC no doubt hates them right back.

I think over time the BBC will just die off. Or at least it will as we know it. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but the age of "broadcasting" as traditionally understood is dying. The advent of social media, the Web, and on-demand/over-the-top services means there just isn't anywhere near as much of a demand for it as there once was. The way it operates now just isn't sustainable in the long run, because more and more people simply won't have any demand for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I was sat in court once when some impoverished single mother was up before the beaks for not having a TV licence - in those days most of them were gentlemen farmers who had no concept of the law at all, and the chairman of the bench on this occasion amply proved that when he announced he was going to endorse the poor girl's licence - in fact iirc it was in Basingstoke - pa sledger may therefore have witnessed or heard about the chorus of ridiculing laughter that was brought forth
    that's great.

I remember one time I watched a trial there and the defendant was acquitted. The magistrate said to this bloke (who was up on an assault charge iirc), "we believe there is reasonable doubt as to your guilt, but please never do it again". You can probably imagine the reaction of the CPS counsel.

Edit: There was also a time where some guy was charged with failing to keep his dog under control after it bit someone, and he actually brought the dog into court. Despite all the evidence, including photographs of the bite, the magistrates said "oooh, looks like a nice little dog", and let the guy off. Dire really, but you had to laugh.
    Last edited by sledger; 07-11-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    harsh.ag and Ausage like this.

Said it before but wish I could just pay for their radio.
    sledger and vogue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Said it before but wish I could just pay for their radio.
    Yeah, I too would go for this, given the option.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    that's great.

I remember one time I watched a trial there and the defendant was acquitted. The magistrate said to this bloke (who was up on an assault charge iirc), "we believe there is reasonable doubt as to your guilt, but please never do it again". You can probably imagine the reaction of the CPS counsel.

Edit: There was also a time where some guy was charged with failing to keep his dog under control after it bit someone, and he actually brought the dog into court. Despite all the evidence, including photographs of the bite, the magistrates said "oooh, looks like a nice little dog", and let the guy off. Dire really, but you had to laugh.
    Tbf Jezza and his mob also hate it just as much as the Tories.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    What an odd country.
    vogue likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Tbf Jezza and his mob also hate it just as much as the Tories.
    Yeah it famously gets heavy abuse from both sides for being biased against them. They like to claim this means they "must be doing something right", but all it really means is that both sides are wankers.

Corbyn's crowd took it to a new level. When he gets elected misogynistically abusing Laura Kuenssberg will be our new national sport.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 07-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    sledger and vcs like this.

It's easy to see why the BBC cops it so much though. For whatever good programming it is responsible, it also churns out a lot of absolute bullshit.

I remember one time a few years back when they sent a reporter for BBC news to Siberia to do a story on the fact that it was cold there. Great use of the licence fee.

And then you have all the high salaries being paid to wastes of skin like Lineker, Norton and Balding.

The "if you don'y pay them big money they will all go to private providers" really hacks me off as well. Especially Lineker. What the **** does he actually do that is good? I'm serious, what good does he do? Are people seriously suggesting that people will go "ah nah I'm not up for watching Match of the Day this week" if he was removed? I just really do not understand the purpose of him. You could have MotD presented by a dog and the audience figures would not change. Should just sack all of these ****s and pump the money saved back into actually making more stuff that isn't total garbage.

Edit: Speaking of garbage. **** Doctor Who. And especially **** Sherlock. And especially **** Moffat. WAC.

Edit: And that ****ing Wimbledon 2 abomination, or whatever it was called. And so many other things. Jeez it grinds my hears.
    Last edited by sledger; 07-11-2017 at 10:43 AM.

On board with especially **** Moffat. WAC.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information