cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Should people have proprietary interests in their personal data?

Anything that you don't pay for with money you pay for with something more valuable.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Our digital footprint can't really be erased. The systems upon which the internet is built store this information as part of how they work. You just need someone (or someones) smart enough to connect the right dots. Short of new technology completely changing the way computers and data storage works (not impossible ofc) we'll continue to be at the mercy of companies/people using the data responsibly. That's before you even get to people wanting services that require their identifiable data to be stored in a way that identifies them.

I think finding ways of stopping our data being stored is a dead end. We're better off ensuring it's used responsibly.
    Daemon likes this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Our digital footprint can't really be erased. The systems upon which the internet is built store this information as part of how they work. You just need someone (or someones) smart enough to connect the right dots. Short of new technology completely changing the way computers and data storage works (not impossible ofc) we'll continue to be at the mercy of companies/people using the data responsibly. That's before you even get to people wanting services that require their identifiable data to be stored in a way that identifies them.

I think finding ways of stopping our data being stored is a dead end. We're better off ensuring it's used responsibly.
    Yeah I am of a similar view.

What is really unhelpful at the moment is the way the law uses terminology that is disconnected to reality and creates unrealistic expectations. Particularly things like "anonymisation" of data, which is basically impossible, and the infamous "right to be forgotten", which, due to the Web never forgetting, is a complete misnomer.

Even if we accept that it is responsible usage that we need to target though this is still massively complicated. In worst case scenarios, people won't even know who is collecting their data, who them are sharing it with, what all these parties are doing with it. How can that individual possibly bring an action against another party for non-appropriate use of their data if they do not even know who holds that data?

To take a (hopefully) hypothetical example. If James were to know the name of a CW user, and wrote it down on a piece of paper, along with that user's IP address and other metadata gathered by the site, and sold it to some Russian gang or something, how would that user ever even know about it in the first place, let alone do anything about it?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I'm loving this "person discusses+answers questions on a topic they actually know lots about" thread format.
    Daemon, sledger and Furball like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    It's a nice change. Loving snarky UC, personally.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I sent them my nude pictures.

Apparently, the software gave an error saying "What has been hashed cannot be unhashed"
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I'm loving this "person discusses+answers questions on a topic they actually know lots about" thread format.
    Agreed. This forum really doesn't understand Life University.
    Ikki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I sent them my nude pictures.

Apparently, the software gave an error saying "What has been hashed cannot be unhashed"
    Frustrated Japanese to confirm.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information