cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Should people have proprietary interests in their personal data?

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I never understand why companies pay Google, FB etc. so much for advertising. I mean, who even looks at those ads? AdBlock Plus FTW.
    Are you talking banner ads?

The sponsored post type ones on IG and FB are hugely successful and a great targeted marketing tool.
    Ausage and Ikki like this.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Are you talking banner ads?

The sponsored post type ones on IG and FB are hugely successful and a great targeted marketing tool.
    Don't use IG and FB, so don't know TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Haha, the targeted ads are creepy as ****.

We got Tassimo machines at work, there's been a lot of chat in the office about coffee, taking coffee breaks etc.

Every ad I now get in the Guardian app is for Tassimo machines. Either my phone is listening to conversations and pushing ads based on it or it's a massive ****ing coincidence.

I already don't use the Facebook app for similar reasons. Was fed up with it pushing friend suggestions of people I sit near at work and it basically allowed me to passively stalk one of my co-workers who I was texting quite a bit by pushing literally every status update she was posting.
    vcs, vogue and OverratedSanity like this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post

We got Tassimo machines at work, there's been a lot of chat in the office about coffee, taking coffee breaks etc.

Every ad I now get in the Guardian app is for Tassimo machines. Either my phone is listening to conversations and pushing ads based on it or it's a massive ****ing coincidence.

I already don't use the Facebook app for similar reasons. Was fed up with it pushing friend suggestions of people I sit near at work and it basically allowed me to passively stalk one of my co-workers who I was texting quite a bit by pushing literally every status update she was posting.
    Wow. I had seen Quora threads (with screenshots) where people showed that they had had WhatsApp conversations with someone about item/topic X, and then promptly threads related to X would pop up on their feed. Creepy as hell, I had thought it must be a hoax, but apparently not.

What I can't figure out is that how it is even technologically possible - when WhatsApp claims to provide end-to-end encryption on its conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha yeah but I tire of talking to colleagues, many of whom take themselves far too seriously for their own good.

As things stand in relation to your incident, technically I think the organiser would "own" the data, but if the dataset was made up of aspects of individuals' personal data then there would most likely be loads of terms and conditions attached to as, how, when, why, who, and for what purpose you would be entitled to use it for anything without incurring legal sanction haha.
    So, you came to CW Politics forum instead? I think you might have a problem, my friend.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.

How many of the apps you do use have data sharing relationships with Facebook though? Not using the Facebook app probably isn't enough to stop them from gathering data about you.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Wow. I had seen Quora threads (with screenshots) where people showed that they had had WhatsApp conversations with someone about item/topic X, and then promptly threads related to X would pop up on their feed. Creepy as hell, I had thought it must be a hoax, but apparently not.

What I can't figure out is that how it is even technologically possible - when WhatsApp claims to provide end-to-end encryption on its conversations.
    Keyboard activity and words typed into your phone will probably be recorded by other apps, such as Facebook, or others that have sharing relationships with Facebook. Even if the contents of your conversations are encrypted, there is nothing to stop another app on your phone from recording the fact that you used the keyboard to type the word "dog" or "television" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    From a legal perspective absolutely. There's obviously areas of grey on the collection, storage and transfer of it all but in principle I'm fine with considering an individual's data to be their personal property, regardless of who's possession it's in.

The monetisation perspective is a bit different. I think it makes sense theoretically (as an extension of the above) but in practice it would be insanely complicated to administer for a minute benefit to the individual. Data is valuable as it scales, a single person's information is worth very little. You'd either need government intervention (no thanks) or people to voluntarily sign up to a private body that has it's tendrils in the plethora of areas our data could potentially be residing in, all to deliver a few dollars a year (a completely made up figure ftr) into people's pockets. Such systems would also be vulnerable to being gamed. Just seems like too much work for too little gain.

At the same time I think the massive social media platforms make unimaginable amounts of money siphoning this stuff off, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else find a way to deliver a better option for both the consumer, the advertiser and (where applicable) the content creator.
    Yeah, sorry, I wasn't suggesting that people should necessarily actually be literally paid for their data. My points re: economics is more to do with the fact that since personal data now have a huge economic worth, the people to whom they relate should have more of a controlling stake/influence in how they are utilised by others. It's not that they should be able to exchange data for currency (though I guess this would be fine as well), but as data are effectively becoming treated as a currency themselves, people should be afforded more rights over them.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Very interesting topic this. First thought is yes, people should. Sledger will have a better idea as to developments in the law on this. Historically, for example, a photographer owns the rights to a photo taken by them. The law may need to move along on this a fair bit quicker than it normally does on developments in technology (ie, glacially) and how to deal with the platforms which retain and disseminate the info.

Yeah, some fairly major reforms underway in the EU and UK at the moment on this. The entire area of law governing this sort of thing is badly out of date and is about to be drastically overhauled. The problem is, the content of the overhaul itself was out of date about 5 years ago.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Does anyone have the BT Sport app via EE?

Now and again they text me advertising televised matches, CL ones and big Prem

Yesterday I was alerted to Chester V Wrexham. Are they really sending that to everyone or is it because they know I watch non league?

Seemed relevant, sorry

Stuff like that is almost always tailored.

They need to improve their algorithms because whenever I go onto BT Player on my TV I get recommended Celtic games as catch up content I might enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    How many of the apps you do use have data sharing relationships with Facebook though? Not using the Facebook app probably isn't enough to stop them from gathering data about you.
    True (I can't uninstall the app, only disable it), but I would hope Facebook get less data than they would if I was using the app.

Google are ****ing annoying as well, I got a push notification from Maps today asking me about the bus stop I get the bus at when I take the wee one to school.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    They need to improve their algorithms because whenever I go onto BT Player on my TV I get recommended Celtic games as catch up content I might enjoy.
    Same deal as me getting Chester V wrexham tbf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information