cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Guy Fawkes

Banned
    Anyway back to Guy Fawkes....

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    There is a BBC show coming up called Gunpowder. It has Jon Snow in it.
    Itís already aired, last episode I believe was on last night. Iíve only seen the first episode so far.
    Shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Virtual history is a dangerous game, but from where they stood it’s easy to see how they felt it was going that way anyway
    Had he succeeded I can't imagine you'd find enough of English Catholicism to fill a bucket once the mobs were done.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It’s already aired, last episode I believe was on last night. I’ve only seen the first episode so far.
    Give him a break GIMH, he can't handle busses so tv schedules are bound to be beyond him.

I've seen the first 2 so far and still can't work out where all the gruesome stuff that people were complaining about was meant to be, didn't seem anything too bad to me.
    Shri likes this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Had he succeeded I can't imagine you'd find enough of English Catholicism to fill a bucket once the mobs were done.
    It would have been an understandable mob because just 33 years previously a Catholic mob aided by a Catholic Army under Charles IX went on a rampage in Paris that massacred between 10,000 and 70,000 Calvinist Protestants. The remnants of the shattered communities eventually washed-up on the Devon coastline, and their French sounding surnames can still be found in the phonebooks of Devon today.

The ‘St Bartholomew Day Massacre’ and the ‘French Wars of Religion’ went a long way to shaping English society and made it sceptical of Catholicism as a political force. Kill or be killed was the order of the day.

400 years down the track England and France are coming full circle again except with slightly different monotheistc players. Because the more things change the more they stay the same.
    Last edited by watson; 05-11-2017 at 02:56 AM.

The violence and brutality unleashed in the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in that general era was many, many orders of magnitude worse than anything you say between Christians and Muslims today. Absurd to compare the two.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    It was rather a ''straw man plot'' considering James I was one of the more lenient and sympathetic monarchs towards Roman Catholicism, and all it did in the end was basically confirm, for protestants, the existence of catholic plots and strengthened state laws against recusancy. It had the exact opposite effect from what it intended which was to remove penalties! The subsequent day as it is celebrated is not one I care for.
    Hardly surprising seeing as his maw was one.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Also **** having a Scottish King, it was bad enough living under Gordon ****ing Brown or posting here when Furball was a mod.
    Outstanding.

The violence and brutality unleashed in the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in that general era was many, many orders of magnitude worse than anything you say between Christians and Muslims today. Absurd to compare the two.
    Was way worse in countries where the Protestant church was actually reformed and not the sorry excuse for a church they have in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Was way worse in countries where the Protestant church was actually reformed and not the sorry excuse for a church they have in England.
    The HRE wasn't the only place where such churches took root though.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Erasmus the only good guy in that time really.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Erasmus the only good guy in that time really.
    Yeah I liked 'in the shadows' too but i dunno about their other tracks
    cpr and NZTailender like this.
    We are lost
    We can never go home

Cricket Web Staff Member MW1304's Avatar
    Hexxagon Champion!
    It’s already aired, last episode I believe was on last night. I’ve only seen the first episode so far.
    Even though it aired week to week, for some reason the BBC released them all on iPlayer straight away so I watched them in a couple of days.

That first episode is the best tbh. The actual plot is really underwhelming and they forgot to give the characters any character.

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Even though it aired week to week, for some reason the BBC released them all on iPlayer straight away so I watched them in a couple of days.

That first episode is the best tbh. The actual plot is really underwhelming and they forgot to give the characters any character.
    ^ This. Only watched due to Kit Harington being in it. Not riveting in any way.
    Scarlett likes this.
    Well you said that we made such a pretty pair,and that you would never leave.
    But you gave away the things you loved, and one of them was me. CS.

[I][/I]The supreme happiness of life is the assurance of being loved,of being loved for oneself, even in spite of oneself. VH.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Not if they had completely succeeded. If they had completely succeeded then they would have kidnapped and installed the nine year old Princess Elizabeth on the throne and put in place an amiable regency under Percy the Earl of Northumberland, a crypto-Catholic. You have to also remember that around twenty percent of England were still Catholics (recusants) including some of the leading nobles, and a great deal more were Catholic in sympathies but had resigned themselves to the official church in order to avoid the penalties. Strident anti-Catholicism largely emanated from puritanical circles which probably only consisted of around ten percent of the population - Scotland was far more thoroughly 'reformed' than England.
    Last edited by S.Kennedy; 05-11-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information