Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: The reason the alt-right exists...

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I dunno man. I mean he's posting with some level of recognition that Nazis Are Evil, and yet he's a fan of pretty much everything they stand for. It's bizarre. I've been through it so many times with him and he still won't connect the dots. I mean just above he seems to understand that oppression of Tibetans and Uighurs in the name of tribalism is bad...and yet it's still because of Neoliberals or Neocons or anyone or anything else. Grecian's post is quite prescient; it's everyone else's fault.

What was that thread about evil? Honestly I think this is what it looks like.
    Just want to say that I thoroughly enjoy our discussions. Thanks.
    01. Adam Gilchrist 02. Sachin Tendulka 03. Virat Kohli 04. Viv Richards 05. AB de Villiers 06. Andrew Symonds 07. Lance Klusener 08. Richard Hadlee 09. Wasim Akram 10. Joel Garner 11. Muttiah Muralithran

Just want to say that I have visited Rwanda in 2013 with a surgical team to help perform open-heart surgery on 20 children at King Faisal Hospital. I paid my own way and earned nothing for my time. While I was in Kigali I visited the Genocide Museum twice and it greatly effected me.

It was at that point that I decided that no matter how hard you try, and no matter how good the intention, heterogenous societies don't work in the long-run because at some point the 'weakest outsiders' will be always be exploited and victimised - and you can never prevent that happening. Over time it just so happens that homogenous societies end-up being more nurturing and equitable and are therefore more desirable. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I'm sorry guys.
    good...you of all people should know better...

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Just want to say that I have visited Rwanda in 2013 with a surgical team to help perform open-heart surgery on 20 children at King Faisal Hospital. I paid my own way and earned nothing for my time. While I was in Kigali I visited the Genocide Museum twice and it greatly effected me.

It was at that point that I decided that no matter how hard you try, and no matter how good the intention, heterogenous societies don't work in the long-run because at some point the 'weakest outsiders' will be always be exploited and victimised - and you can never prevent that happening. Over time it just so happens that homogenous societies end-up being more nurturing and equitable and are therefore more desirable. I hope that makes sense.
    Your charity is to be applauded, that takes courage and strength and empathy. Well done.

Your second paragraph does not make sense. We've been over this before watson. Do you think you can guess what my response would be to your assertion?
    vcs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Oh god, here we go again

:sigh:

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    WW2 wasn't an unstoppable series of events either; it was deliberately engineered. Hitler really, really, really wanted a war and was furious when he didn't get one after Munich.
    Wasn't his dream akin to a perpetual state of war?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Wasn't his dream akin to a perpetual state of war?
    Nah, his dream was more ruling all of continental Europe up to the Urals in a racially purified Teutonic bastardised version of a neo-Roman Empire.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Nah, his dream was more ruling all of continental Europe up to the Urals in a racially purified Teutonic bastardised version of a neo-Roman Empire.
    That sounds better. A more reasonable pov, one worth having a chat about.
    Anil likes this.

StephenZA, vcs and Ikki like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    xkcd explains so many of life's problems....
    vcs likes this.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Beautifully answers the thread question better than all the words yet.

Actually that cartoon highlights an instrinsic problem with the democratic system. In principle the government should enact the will of the people. However, in reality the government acts upon the advice of various academics and lobbyists who are more ‘spread-sheet focused’. And so in their opinion it does matter what the electorate wants if it conflicts with the expert’s data driven conclusions.

A current example is the winding back of weekend penalty rates. According to economic theory giving a massive tax break to multi-nationals while at the same time cutting penalty rates gives a long term boost to the economy.

However, the immediate real-world-scenario is quite different because thousands of Australians might not be able to make-ends-meet if they are relying on the extra income to survive the next months rent or mortgage.

And so politics can be described as a managed tension between society and the various academics, lobbyists and politicians who formulate and enact policy.

IMO Contemporary politics is in a state of collapse because it has simply forgotten how to manage this tension. In its head-long drive toward ‘spread-sheet nirvana’ it has simply failed to address the emotional needs of the people who have to live immediate day-to-day lives. And so a daily 2-3 hour traffic jam negates any political rhetoric about ‘having’ to increase the population. The person behind the wheel wanting to get home to his or her family simply thinks to themselves “what a load of BS”.

Science is great at giving you facts. It's not great at telling you what to do with them.

Or is that the joke?
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

If only the mods could have such incredible hindsight as to realise a thread set up to troll another forum member would end up such a ****-show.

probably my fault too.

ho-hum.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information