Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The reason the alt-right exists...

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    It's the most obvious way to drum up populist support isn't it?
    It's depressing that people fall for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    100%.

The whole point of Hitler's road building programme in the 1930s was to transport the military to Eastern Europe quickly. Pretty much all of the Autobahns that were built pointed towards Poland.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    I think Popper was on the right track. All Utopian political movements usually end up in disaster as evil acts are justified on the road to 'paradise'

Democratic principles based on doing the 'least harm' seems to work best.

It never ceases to amaze me how CW can manage to turn an obvious troll thread that should be closed before a second post is made into a page spanning epic. You idiots could argue about anything.
    NZTailender likes this.

THE SEASONS BRING RELIEF. JUST LET ME LIVE AND DIE IN PEACE

I am quite liking the fact that both troll threads are metamorphosing into history discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Oh and Carthage remember that, nah pobably not because of what the Romans did to the people and culture.

They assimilated people in the end, but there was 100s of years before that.
    just seen this edit

ah yes, innocent, innocent carthage. rulers of western Mediterranean trade using private military armies and fleets to expand the business onto sicily, sardinia, corsica and modern spain. massive threats to the grain supplies of the italian peninsula. the city where your worth was based solely on your wealth like one of ikki's wet dreams.

that was a war over trade and securing Rome's food supply. from carthage's point of view, a united italian peninsula had to be done away with because they were an economic threat. carthage is a fascinating society but lets not pretend for a moment they were the good guys. both sides were grey. a small part of the roman victory in the punic wars involved being nice to the spanish tribes rather than butchering them like the barca family did, and getting friendly with sicilian cities.

the republic was pretty good at assimilation for most of its history, even in the face of babarism from their enemies. mithridates latin genocide didn't even receive tit for tat greek mass murder which is unheard of in the ancient world.

if you want a true early republic atrocity then the veiites destruction is one, though it predates the gallic sack of rome so we can't be sure what happened there except that rome won. if you want to mourn a society then mourn the seleucid empire, though rome didn't so much conquer them as mop up what the seleucid nobility did to themselves.

rome were often ****s, but their methods were rooted in legalese and trolling until a prospective enemy bit. they certainly had no desire to systematically murder every person of a certain race or creed, and while they were proud of their city and achievements they didn't consider themselves as the aryans did.

not many societies walk out of the ancient world with much credit by todays standards but im not the one judging them by our standards. i don't have too much desire to be smugly judged as a barbarian myself in 2000 years time despite doing my best, as does everyone else, to be a good person according to our current values.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 26-08-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    It's the most obvious way to drum up populist support isn't it?
    People always fall for it. It's probably the oldest political trick in the book - from Achtung Juden to having a crack at refos or dole bludgers. It's always easy to blame the others, to externalise blame for real or perceived problems.
    GIMH and Son Of Coco like this.

I find it frustrating that people skirt around the edges of an issue without ever going to the heart of the matter and stating the obvious.

The Alt Right like many of other dissident groups around the globe (mainly in the Middle East) is a Reactionary Movement, and Reactionary Movements whether they be from the Left or Right of the political centre always emerge when a group of people believe that they have been disempowered to the extent that they are no longer in control of their own destiny. That is, the group believes that it has lost its autonomy and has lost its ability to self-determine.

Or to put it another way - Reactionary Movements happen when destructive external forces not under control of the group are believed to be more powerful and influential than the usual internal forces that shape the group and give it definition.

Using the narrowest possible definition the Alt Right respresents just 0.03% of the American population and is therefore no more than a stormer in a teacup.

https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017...on-in-the-usa/

However, if you use the broadest possible definition then anything up to 63 million voters believe in the Alt Right cause in a general sense. This is become it has become obvious to those 63 million voters that Capitol Hill (Democrat and Republican) no longer represents their economic or cultural survival, let alone interests.

What we are now witnessing is the very beginning of a struggle not that far removed to what happened in the 1960s - with one key difference, the representative head of the new Reactionary Movement is currently the President of the USA.
    Last edited by watson; 27-08-2017 at 02:49 AM.
    1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Grecian nicely confirming my hypothesis with his performance in this thread
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Sorry you have admitted that Julius comitted genocide, your comeback is some people argued about it in senate, then Rome built itself in Julius' image after assasination.

Oh and Carthage remember that, nah pobably not because of what the Romans did to the people and culture.

They assimilated people in the end, but there was 100s of years before that.
    Yeah, the way they treated the Gauls, and in particular that big fat bloke who carried the menhirs and his little mate, suggests they weren't at all welcoming of other groups for a long period of time.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I agree with that.

Germany, in a First, Shuts Down Left-Wing Extremist Website

BERLIN — An influential website linked to violence at the Group of 20 summit meeting in Hamburg last month has been ordered to shut down, in the first such move against left-wing extremists in the country, officials in Germany said Friday.

Thomas de Maizière, the interior minister, said that the unrest in Hamburg, during which more than 20,000 police officers were deployed and more than 400 people arrested or detained, had been stirred up on the website and showed the “serious consequences” of left-wing extremism.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/w...a-website.html

But the question is - does the Alt Left have a valid point to make, and should the G20 governments open their ears and listen to the people for a change instead of merely strangling free-speech?

My own view is that both the Alt Left and Alt Right have genuine concerns that are real and not figments of their imagination, neither are they overly exaggerated.

Mainstream societies can ignore these vanguard movements who are decades ahead of their time. But they do so at their own peril. Call the Alt Left and Alt Right movements the 'canaries in the mine' if you like.
    Last edited by watson; 27-08-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Stop calling them Alt Left. They're the Ctrl Left. Trumps really gone downhill with typecasting his political opponents since the primaries.
    NZTailender, hendrix and morgieb like this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Why is there an argument about if a pre-modern civilisation was racist? Wtf
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast