View Poll Results: Are white supremacists/Nazis evil?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are evil

30 96.77%
  • No they are not

1 3.23%
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Do you think white supremacists and Nazis are evil?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Not really. A Conservative generally remembers to turn the heat off or down before the pressure cooker starts to hiss violently.....
    Thatís because the only people in conservative households who cook are the women folk because they know their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    That’s because the only people in conservative households who cook are the women folk because they know their place.
    Beaut. Please don't quote his posts though.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Merkel doing chemistry......

1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Beaut. Please don't quote his posts though.
    Aren't you a mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Aren't you a mod?
    Eh. Can still see reported posts.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'm confused.

maybe he is speaking on behalf of the rest of the suffering posters...?!

When the Berkeley School of Law dean has to write this stuff then you know that the college system is stuffed beyond repair.

I kind of understand the chest-beating and angst over Shapiro, Milo, Coulter, and Bannon. But the banning of Richard Dawkins from speaking at Berkeley is where fruitcake lunacy meets 'reverse-Fascism'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/u...-berkeley.html

First Amendment lessons for liberals

BY ERWIN CHEMERINSKY HOWARD GILLMAN
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Sunday, October 1, 2017, 5:00 AM

In the first weeks of the new school year, campuses across the country are again in the thick of the war over free speech. As in recent years, a familiar pattern is emerging: Conservatives look to bring conservative speakers to campus. Some liberal faculty and students object, claiming that hateful and offensive voices cause great harm and should be prevented from speaking.

This is a corrosive, illiberal cycle, and it must end.

For example, at the University of California, Berkeley, conservative student groups invited speakers like Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter and Steve Bannon to come speak early in the fall semester. The mayor of Berkeley and some students and faculty are urged that these individuals should not kept off campus. There was also a looming threat of danger, as Antifa appeared ready to engage in violence, as it did last January when it forced the campus to cancel Yiannopoulos’ speech.

This, of course, is happening on campuses across the country. All of which has led to a widespread perception that liberals are keeping conservatives from being able to speak on campus and that conservatives are the champions of free speech.

That’s false. Liberals we know — at least, most of them — are forceful advocates for the free exchange of ideas.

In reality, conservatives such as Yiannopoulos and Coulter are thrilled when they are kept from speaking. It lets them portray themselves as victims, vilify the left as intolerant, and accuse campuses of being more concerned about indoctrination than the robust exchange of ideas.

It is essential that campuses, and especially progressive students and faculty, not fall for this ploy. Campus officials need to publicly and emphatically reaffirm that all ideas and views may be expressed on campus, period and without exception.

They need to explain that universities cannot perform their core mission of creating and transmitting new knowledge if they establish orthodoxies of opinion and punish individuals who challenge prevailing wisdom.

Campus officials, of course, have the right and even obligation to speak, and may condemn what they find to be hateful or offensive. Students should be encouraged to engage in peaceful and non-disruptive forms of protest, as occurred when Shapiro spoke at Berkeley a couple of weeks ago, or when Jeff Sessions spoke at Georgetown last week.

The situation is made more difficult because off-campus groups, like Antifa, have their own agenda of agitation. This willingness to resort to violence is entirely counterproductive to progressive goals. An absolute commitment to non-violence, especially on college campuses, is essential. Campuses must be battlegrounds for the exchange of ideas, not actual battlegrounds.

Campuses must take whatever precautions are needed to protect public safety and prevent disruption of scheduled speakers. Admittedly, this can cost a lot; Berkeley spent $600,000 in security to ensure that Shapiro could speak without disruption.

But the First Amendment and academic freedom require that campuses do all they can to protect the ability of all to speak. Moreover, the more committed we are to nurturing a culture of free expression, the less there will be a need to recruit hundreds of police just because someone was invited to give a lecture.

Even better, we may get to the point where provocateurs and trollers such as Yiannopolous are merely ignored and thus denied their desired circus atmosphere, as happened the second time he spoke at UC Irvine last year.
    Often the desire to suppress speech comes from minority students who say free speech itself is a construct invented by the powerful white majority.

Campus officials must acknowledge the consequences of hateful speech and take steps to ensure that all students feel respected and protected. But every court to consider a campus hate speech code has declared it unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has been clear that speech is protected, even when it is deeply offensive.

The stakes in all of this are enormous. This is about whether the country’s longstanding commitment to freedom of speech, as expressed in the First Amendment, will continue to protect all views in the very places designed to foster a free flow of ideas.

Chemerinsky is dean and professor at University of California, Berkeley School of Law. Gillman is chancellor and professor of law and political science at University of California, Irvine. They are co-authors of the new book, “Free Speech on Campus.”

First Amendment lessons for liberals - NY Daily News
    Last edited by watson; 01-10-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    vcs likes this.

Anyway, just to get back to the OP for a second....

If your definition of White Supremacist and/or Nazi includes people like Shapiro, Milo, Coulter, Bannon and Dawkins then your of idea of evil is pretty confused and OTT.

If your definition includes individuals like Goebbels and Himmler then yes, the term evil is appropriate.

As I've said before, in the contemporary liberal setting the terms supremacist, Nazi and evil have all become conflated to the point of absurdity. In fact, their meaning has become so contorted that they are as good as meaningless.

EDIT: and/or added.

According to the liberal worldview Ben Shapiro is a bona fide 'White Supremacist'.

Last edited by watson; 01-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.

I would be highly surprised if there was a single person on CW who thought Shapiro, who is Jewish, was a Nazi.

But I suppose I have seen people post stranger things.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I would be highly surprised if there was a single person on CW who thought Shapiro, who is Jewish, was a Nazi.
    There probably isn't (at least not any of the regulars), but I doubt he was talking about CW specifically. Those people frequently get the Nazi tag out in the wider sphere of discourse.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

I think that discussion is better suited to the PC thread, tbh.
    Ausage likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think that discussion is better suited to the PC thread, tbh.
    Woah look at the thread Nazi over here!

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Found out the other day, Coulter was a big fan of affirmative action, perplexed indeed.

This doesn't surprise me:

do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information