Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 638
Like Tree527Likes

Thread: Political Correctness Gone Mad

  1. #1
    International Coach zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    14,231

    Political Correctness Gone Mad

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/o...-own.html?_r=0


    Listening to Bret Weinstein's interview on the JRE Podcast right now. Fascinating stuff. Between what's happening to him and to Jordan Peterson, is it safe to say that political correctness has officially gone too far?
    indiaholic and Fred Tetanus like this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

    The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

    iTunes
    SoundCloud

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

  2. #2
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    37,621
    Yet another step in the liberals war on Christmas
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    9,239
    zorax, indiaholic and Fred Tetanus like this.

  4. #4
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SWA
    Posts
    57,350
    It was certainly the case for a long time that 'political correctness gone mad' was a phrase used by bigots who were unhappy that it was no longer deemed acceptable for them to dish out racist and homophobic slurs.

    While that use still prevails, all I really wanted to get out there in this thread is that there are also times that the phrase is legitimate. For example Ryan Gosling thanked his side in an award acceptance speech, because she took time out from her own career to look after their kid, enabling him to continue to pursue his.

    This was greeted with this article: Ryan Gosling?s Golden Globes speech about Eva Mendes wasn't cute, it was sexist | The Independent

    An absurd manner of seeking an agenda. An all too common occurrence whenever anybody says, well, anything.
    zorax, Daemon, hendrix and 5 others like this.


  5. #5
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    506
    Posts
    28,978
    Nah, I agree with the premise behind the article. There will be loads of men who have been helped by their wives the same way Gosling has, there will be very few women, actresses or otherwise, who if they were givimg an awards acceptance speech would be able to stand up and thank their husbands for taking time out of their careers.

    Part of this is because men who choose to care for their children/relatives are themselves victims of sexism.
    Last edited by Furball; 13-06-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    StephenZA, zorax and Fred Tetanus like this.
    ​63*

    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    52,656
    Corrin is becoming like an Alan Jones// Ray Hadley devotee before our very eyes here. Needs sorting out.

    Next time I'm in the UK I'll explain to you at length over a beer why you're wrong and set you straight.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  7. #7
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SWA
    Posts
    57,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Nah, I agree with the premise behind the article. There will be loads of men who have been helped by their wives the same way Gosling has, there will be very few women, actresses or otherwise, who if they were givimg an awards acceptance speech would be able to stand up and thank their husbands for taking time out of their careers.

    Part of this is because men who choose to care for their children/relatives are themselves victims of sexism.
    Nonsense. There is a very steady theme of castigation of women who would prefer to be homemakers, who would prefer to be full-time mums while their husband works, who would prefer to work part-time so they are home for the school run.

    Such males exist, but will always be a minority. Simple reason is: human nature. If you ask most women who have had a child whether they'd rather go straight back to work and their husband see it through, or be the stay at home mum, you'd get an overwhelming majority opting for the latter. It also is biologically logical, as not only can men not breast feed (and yes women can express but young breast fed babies will not always take the bottle) but having a baby can take some time to recover from, especially if a woman has had a C-section.

    At the end of the day it's about what works for each family. Societal norms aren't always based in sexism; in most cases for a man and a woman raising a child, the woman doing the brunt of the early childcare and the man paying the bills works. Fair play to those who do it the other way round, but it's not sexist, or negative, that it happens that way.
    zorax, Ausage, Ikki and 1 others like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Nah, I agree with the premise behind the article. There will be loads of men who have been helped by their wives the same way Gosling has, there will be very few women, actresses or otherwise, who if they were givimg an awards acceptance speech would be able to stand up and thank their husbands for taking time out of their careers.
    That's fine and true, but why would him thanking his wife for doing that be sexist?
    indiaholic, Daemon, zorax and 1 others like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  9. #9
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SWA
    Posts
    57,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Corrin is becoming like an Alan Jones// Ray Hadley devotee before our very eyes here. Needs sorting out.

    Next time I'm in the UK I'll explain to you at length over a beer why you're wrong and set you straight.
    Nah ****

    Like I say, 'PC gone mad' is a slur often used by the indefensible. I'll never dispute this so I never use the phrase. But there is an undercurrent of things that actually do fall in. This isn't about #freedom. I'm not blaming the government. I actually think what I have in mind is stuff you'd largely agree with. Get over here and we can discuss in the Pen & Wig.

  10. #10
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,558
    Yeah hate this social media driven journalism where everyone needs to get their puff piece out to promote pseudo progressiveness. Getting all a bit toxic.
    ankitj and Fred Tetanus like this.

  11. #11
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,558
    Especially hate these current 2 minute instant news videos on facebook etc. They're the worst, a news cannot be told or discussed in 2 minutes period.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    52,656
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Nah ****

    Like I say, 'PC gone mad' is a slur often used by the indefensible. I'll never dispute this so I never use the phrase. But there is an undercurrent of things that actually do fall in. This isn't about #freedom. I'm not blaming the government. I actually think what I have in mind is stuff you'd largely agree with. Get over here and we can discuss in the Pen & Wig.
    Aphrodites ftw

  13. #13
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    506
    Posts
    28,978
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    That's fine and true, but why would him thanking his wife for doing that be sexist?
    It's not.

    But the click bait headline doesn't reflect the substance of the article - that the 'societal norms' GIMH references are sexist. Society expects that women fulfil a caring role, whether that is for children or for seriously ill or elderly relatives. Society expects that men will go out and earn money for the family to survive.

    These societal norms negatively impact both genders. There is state sponsored sexism in the UK at least because paternity leave is much more restricted than maternity leave. This applies across a lot of private sector companies - in my own work the leave I am entitled to and the level of pay I would get after the birth of a child is negatively impacted by my gender. Which both discriminates against me and also reinforces the mother as primary care giver cultural stereotype which negatively affects women in the workplace.

    And on a personal level, I'm about to move role into one which should give a greater degree of flexibility in my working hours. I'm planning on requesting a compressed working week so I fit my hours into 4 days, not 5, allowing me to take a far more equitable role in raising my daughter and allowing me to split custosy equally with my ex rather than the 5/7 split we currently have. I would feel a lot more confident in this request being agreed if I were female.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    44,587
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    Especially hate these current 2 minute instant news videos on facebook etc. They're the worst, a news cannot be told or discussed in 2 minutes period.
    Man you'll hate this thing called nightly TV news broadcasts.
    indiaholic and Fred Tetanus like this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

  15. #15
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SWA
    Posts
    57,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    It's not.

    But the click bait headline doesn't reflect the substance of the article - that the 'societal norms' GIMH references are sexist. Society expects that women fulfil a caring role, whether that is for children or for seriously ill or elderly relatives. Society expects that men will go out and earn money for the family to survive.

    These societal norms negatively impact both genders. There is state sponsored sexism in the UK at least because paternity leave is much more restricted than maternity leave. This applies across a lot of private sector companies - in my own work the leave I am entitled to and the level of pay I would get after the birth of a child is negatively impacted by my gender. Which both discriminates against me and also reinforces the mother as primary care giver cultural stereotype which negatively affects women in the workplace.

    And on a personal level, I'm about to move role into one which should give a greater degree of flexibility in my working hours. I'm planning on requesting a compressed working week so I fit my hours into 4 days, not 5, allowing me to take a far more equitable role in raising my daughter and allowing me to split custosy equally with my ex rather than the 5/7 split we currently have. I would feel a lot more confident in this request being agreed if I were female.
    By all means make the law equal for men and women in terms of splitting maternity/paternity, but let's not pretend the societal norm is a sexist concept. It exists because of nature, because in most cases it's what the mother wants.

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 08:51 PM
  2. America/Buzzfeed's version of political correctness...
    By hendrix in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 08:51 PM
  3. Political Correctness
    By Slow Love™ in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 17-11-2005, 06:31 AM
  4. Political stance?
    By sledger in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 03:43 PM
  5. Disgusting! Political Correctness gone wrong!
    By Robertinho in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20-04-2005, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •