Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Like Tree642Likes

Thread: Political Correctness Gone Mad

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    What do people think about this case about the woman convicted for sending texts encouraging her (ex?)-boyfriend to commit suicide?
    Do you have a link for that? Hadn't heard about it.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    What do people think about this case about the woman convicted for sending texts encouraging her (ex?)-boyfriend to commit suicide?
    Bloody awful isn't it? I don't know about it from a legal POV because I haven't followed the case in depth, but WAC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/u...-roy.html?_r=0
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Do you have a link for that? Hadn't heard about it.
    Woman is a bit of a stretch she was 17 at the time.

Michelle Carter guilty in text suicide case after boyfriend Conrad Roy?s death

Personally feel she should be held criminally responsible for something but involuntary manslaughter feels like it may be a bit harsh.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Direbirds FTW!
    420 BLAZE IT

Yeah I'm not sure about this. I'm not a defender of speech that deliberately incites violence but there's a lot of potential nuance to the discussion of ending your own life. I'm not concerned for her personally (seems like she was cruel and selfish through the whole ordeal) but it seems like it could set an unhealthy precedent in instances where there was a more genuine concern for the individual's long term well being.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Disagree with the ruling. As far as I can tell, she didn't threaten or blackmail Roy. She didn't provide the means or coerce him into it. And obviously didn't carry out any action that directly caused the death.

How can she be convicted of a crime which is defined as unlawful, unintentional killing? She didn't kill him in the direct sense and it clearly WAS her intention/wish that he die.

Just my two cents. She's obviously a disgusting human being but I don't think it's a fair punishment and it sets/reeinforces a pretty dangerous precedent.
    indiaholic, Shri and Fred Tetanus like this.

Yeah I mean I shed no tears for the woman in question, but I am far from convinced this is a wise legal stance to take going forward.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munificent_Fool View Post
    Disagree with the ruling. As far as I can tell, she didn't threaten or blackmail Roy. She didn't provide the means or coerce him into it. And obviously didn't carry out any action that directly caused the death.

How can she be convicted of a crime which is defined as unlawful, unintentional killing? She didn't kill him in the direct sense and it clearly WAS her intention/wish that he die.

Just my two cents. She's obviously a disgusting human being but I don't think it's a fair punishment and it sets/reeinforces a pretty dangerous precedent.
    Yeah I tend to agree with this tbh.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Could someone from a more legal point of view tell me why stuff like this is against the law:

Finsbury Park attack: Son of hire boss held over Facebook post - BBC News

But the Qur'an and other crackpot religious tomes are just fine and dandy? Are there specific get-out clauses for satanic fairy tale cults?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Munificent_Fool View Post

Probably down to the legal definition of causation tbh.

In the UK you will be taken to have "caused" someone to die if you are more than a trivial cause of death, and but for your conduct there would be no death. No direct physical actions or similar are necessarily required.

Not sure if that's directly relevant here, but I imagine it is something like this (i.e. nuances in the legal terminology causing a prima facie dodgy outcome).
    zorax and Fred Tetanus like this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Could someone from a more legal point of view tell me why stuff like this is against the law:

Finsbury Park attack: Son of hire boss held over Facebook post - BBC News

But the Qur'an and other crackpot religious tomes are just fine and dandy? Are there specific get-out clauses for satanic fairy tale cults?
    Yeah, religious expressions are more protected by the law than other forms of speech (e.g. political). This is widely acknowledged.
    zorax and Fred Tetanus like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    this thread makes me boil with rage. apparently 17-year-old girls have more institutional power than tenured professors.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    religious expressions are more protected by the law than other forms of speech (e.g. political).
    ew.

I don't disagree with your post, just saying my position on that fact is:

ew
    GIMH, indiaholic and Fred Tetanus like this.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

The fact that this thread has in its short life covered a huge variety of legal and social issues has given us a good example of why the phrase 'political correctness' is a made-up catch-all boogeyman used by certain people to describe basically any opinion they don't like.
    NZTailender and Fred Tetanus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    The fact that this thread has in its short life covered a huge variety of legal and social issues has given us a good example of why the phrase 'political correctness' is a made-up catch-all boogeyman used by certain people to describe basically any opinion they don't like.
    Okay, but how does this make it substantially different from any number of other political terms/phrases?
    indiaholic, zorax and Fred Tetanus like this.

Okay, but how does this make it substantially different from any number of other political terms/phrases?
    Struggling to think of any that have it quite so bad, but I expect I'd be similarly ticked off with each
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread Information